Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

New hotness arrived today courtesy of THP and the SpeedZone Extreme contest! I'm really excited about what arrived:

Matte / White 9* Xtreme Head

Rogue 60S Shaft

The 9* head and Rogue shaft are both the choices I would have made, the spec fairy was looking over my shoulder on this one. Thanks THP and Cobra! :love: Stoked to get some swings in.

Ive never been called a Spec Fairy, but I did look to find the right pairing.
Still would have gone with Speed Yellow, but didnt have the right loft for you.

True Story...That is Danny Le's driver head.

Ive never been called a Spec Fairy, but I did look to find the right pairing.
Still would have gone with Speed Yellow, but didnt have the right loft for you.

True Story...That is Danny Le's driver head.

I'm thrilled. Thousands of members on this forum and when I opened the box, I immediately thought to myself that combo was beyond coincidence, that you may have intentionally put that together for me. And nailed it! That was really thoughtful (not to mention observant) of you. And to have Danny's driver - simply awesome! I'm feeling really blessed to be a part of the THP community. Thanks again.

I got the Ventus blue shaft when I was at the MC and didn’t hit it too well while in Vegas. I knew it would work for me, because when I was fitted it was the recommended shaft for me but I went with one that was no upcharge. Today was much better after taking some advice from Jose at Cobra.

With my old Atmos Blue shaft, I had the driver set to 8 degrees and was hitting a lot of fades that would turn into slices on bad days. With the Ventus today, I had it set to 10 degrees and had a very straight ball flight. It felt great and was the first time swinging it since Vegas in October. Can’t wait to get some more time with this shaft and head combination. The stats don’t tell the whole story because some of the drives were really good that just caught a trap/rough. I started the stats over today with this driver because I just got a new Cobra Connect grip to match my others.

C757BF07-5A3D-4433-A341-655E90A333B2.png
E5B32AF4-F17E-43D8-A52A-E3F343884592.png

Couldn’t find an extreme but hit the standard SpeedZone in Tour Length. Very similar numbers to my F9 based on shot scope averages for the year. Admittedly wasn’t swinging my best since I’ve only been hitting into a net indoors since the season ended over 1 month ago. Definitely wonder about the Tour Length Extreme as I assume that would launch a bit higher than the standard model with more weight in the back.
I defiant see a tour length weight kit for the F9 in my future.

Couldn’t find an extreme but hit the standard SpeedZone in Tour Length. Very similar numbers to my F9 based on shot scope averages for the year. Admittedly wasn’t swinging my best since I’ve only been hitting into a net indoors since the season ended over 1 month ago. Definitely wonder about the Tour Length Extreme as I assume that would launch a bit higher than the standard model with more weight in the back.
I defiant see a tour length weight kit for the F9 in my future.

I played a Smoke Yellow Tour length setup in the F9 last year for 60% of the season and it wasn’t a great fit for me.

Playing Tour Length in the Xtreme with a helium shaft has been outstanding, night and day better - launch is fantastic in this setup compared to the F9

Looking forward to your Tour Length thoughts if you go that route

Finally got a chance to take a look at the Arccos data for this year. The data below is averaged across 259 shots and includes all of them: the shot into the tree that ricocheted put of a dead pull **** into a tree and came back 75 yards for a net 104 yard drive AND the 345 yard bomb on the par 5 that left me an 8 iron in for eagle. And of course every shot in between. No shots are excluded no matter how windy or cold.

Screenshot_20201123-112120.jpg
Screenshot_20201123-084152__01.jpg

Distance is good and the accuracy is ok for me but I can tell you that's more on me than on the driver. And the one thing that bugs me about Arccos is that it seems to be very temperamental on what's in fairway or not. A lot of my "not in fairway" shots were on the first cut or a foot or so into the rough. For what I am looking for, that's still a good drive. So I think the fairway number or rather the "good shot" percentage is much higher than this. I might have to be more diligent for future rounds on checking if the system recognizes it as farway or not.

Wow, amazing what a difference a shaft can make. I didn't get along with Tensei Blue either when I tried one.
I originally had the Smoke Black shaft in mine because I had it in my TS3 and loved it. Did not work in the SZ. Switched into the Ventus Blue, match made in heaven ever since.
I'm a little shorter with the SZ, but a lot more accurate. Averaging 68% fairways and a lot of the missed fairways are in the first cut or just off. Not to many big misses.

This serves as my 2020 recap for the Speedzone Xtreme. I was fortunate to game this driver this year thanks to THP and Cobra. I have the Xtreme Tour Length with a Helium 5 Black (R) shaft. It is the most accurate driver that I have ever played. That one sentence sums up my feelings towards this driver. Not only did I hit more fairways, but also my mishits generally remained in play.

Got an urge to throw the tour length smoke green back in this week with the lower headweight of the full length. :unsure:

Got an urge to throw the tour length smoke green back in this week with the lower headweight of the full length. :unsure:

You just trying to tinker?

You just trying to tinker?
Tell me more

I've hit it as good as I ever have the last few times out with the std length smoke black.

Curious if it's purely the shaft and weight change or if my swing has changed to the driver.

so yeah, just trying to mess with a good thing.

I've hit it as good as I ever have the last few times out with the std length smoke black.

Curious if it's purely the shaft and weight change or if my swing has changed to the driver.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

The tour length option have me interested in these drivers. I'm leaning toward extreme model because of the forgiveness. Shaft wise leaning toward the Rogue in the 9 degree and potentially regular flex. My swing speed is in the 91 to 95mph range depending on the shaft and quality of the swing. I hit an 8i about 145. I have a moderate fast tempo. I tend to hit balls too high with too much backswing at times and I play 9 degree drivers now with Adila RIP shafts. The Tensi blue I had in one of my drivers recently and I was very inconsistent with that one for some reason.

suggestions on head and shaft options?

The tour length option have me interested in these drivers. I'm leaning toward extreme model because of the forgiveness. Shaft wise leaning toward the Rogue in the 9 degree and potentially regular flex. My swing speed is in the 91 to 95mph range depending on the shaft and quality of the swing. I hit an 8i about 145. I have a moderate fast tempo. I tend to hit balls too high with too much backswing at times and I play 9 degree drivers now with Adila RIP shafts. The Tensi blue I had in one of my drivers recently and I was very inconsistent with that one for some reason.

suggestions on head and shaft options?

How is your launch/spin?

I’ve had a ton of success with the Tour length helium combo in the 12° head

I hit my 9 degree Wilson Triton with quite a bit of height. Every now and again I will hit a really good shot that is mid-high and get better distance because of the increased run out. Last time I played I changed drivers at the turn to a Tour Edge EXS with the Ventus branded shaft that comes in the EXS 220. I noticed right away slightly lower flight, maybe a bit less carry, but more rollout. My swing has improved over last 3 years but last time I was on a trackman with a driver the fitter talked about me needing a low spin shaft and head. At that time, he was recommending the Ping G400 LST with a stiff shaft.

I hit my 9 degree Wilson Triton with quite a bit of height. Every now and again I will hit a really good shot that is mid-high and get better distance because of the increased run out. Last time I played I changed drivers at the turn to a Tour Edge EXS with the Ventus branded shaft that comes in the EXS 220. I noticed right away slightly lower flight, maybe a bit less carry, but more rollout. My swing has improved over last 3 years but last time I was on a trackman with a driver the fitter talked about me needing a low spin shaft and head. At that time, he was recommending the Ping G400 LST with a stiff shaft.
If you hit the ball high I definitely recommend the 9* head in the Xtreme. It is one of the straightest drivers I've ever gamed. It does launch/spin slightly more than the standard head by design and as far as stock shafts I'd look at the HZRDUS smoke yellow.

I was hesitant on the smoke yellow because in the stiff (only option I see with the cobra) I saw a recommended 95mph speed which I have only on my best swings. Also, would it reduce my effective SW or does Cobra add more weight to the head to regain it? I play my drivers about D4 or D5 so a D1 might have me chasing heavier weights right away.

I was hesitant on the smoke yellow because in the stiff (only option I see with the cobra) I saw a recommended 95mph speed which I have only on my best swings. Also, would it reduce my effective SW or does Cobra add more weight to the head to regain it? I play my drivers about D4 or D5 so a D1 might have me chasing heavier weights right away.
After a conversation with one of the top fitters at Cobra I had to adjust my expectations with swing weight. Was also adding weight in the standard head to chase a D4ish weight, but launch was still very high and spinny. Ended up going the opposite direction and taking almost 20g out of the head (lol) and the spin and launch both dropped and I got my missing distance back. Not sure what it is now but it ain't D4.

Back