Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

I had the chance to hit the SpeedZone and the SpeedZone Xtreme side by side today, both with the Smoke Yellow, 6.0 shaft. The heavy weight was forward with the standard head. I didn’t think until I was finished to move the heavy weight to the back. Both were set standard at 9 degrees.

I should receive a TrackMan printout tomorrow (or the next day) and I will post the results. However, here are some initial thoughts.

The Xtreme felt better. It seemed to be a little more draw biased. The spin difference was significant. We will see when I get the report, but I am going to guess that the difference in spin was 500. The ball speeds were pretty similar. The Xtreme seemed to be a little more draw biased.

For me, the spin on the Xtreme was a little high and the spin on the standard head was a little low. I may have the perfect combo if I move the heavy weight to the back in the standard head.

The shaft that I ordered with my SpeedZone was the Ventus 5 stiff. I am guessing that the spin on the Smoke Yellow is 300 or so lower.

I am interested to see the dispersion, when the report arrives. Please feel free to ask any questions.
I honestly did not test the SZ Versus the SZX. But it is extremely interesting that you found the SZX to be more Draw Biased. As I have Stated that I am a Professional Hooker of the Golf ball with all most every driver that I have owned or tried.

The SZ has in my hands eliminated the Left side of the golf Course. So I can honestly agree.

Whether It's just me or the Hzrdus Yellow Shafts Combination with the Speedzone I am hitting the most Beautiful Power Fade of my life. These are not Slices BTW. I am now consistently Aiming for the trees lined up on the left side of the Fairway and watching the ball land safely in the middle of the Fairway, Right side or just a few feet in the right rough.

Which is why I am so in love with this club.

I don't need additional Distance so I am willing to give up a couple of Yards lose when I hit a Fade over a Draw. Especially after losing so many strokes and golf balls hitting a Hook deep into the Hazards or Woods on the left.

Especially since most of the golf Courses I play favor a left to right ball flight from the Tee with generous landing Zones on the Right side of the Fairway. :drinks:

This is exactly what I feel in terms of performance. The Xtreme is the most forgiving, SpeedZone next and F9 is third. All great drivers, but the new release is an improvement on forgiveness.
Did you notice similar ball speeds on mis hits with the speedzone driver compared to the F9?

Did you notice similar ball speeds on mis hits with the speedzone driver compared to the F9?

The SpeedZone definitely retains ball speed better on missed strikes. That is where Cobra improved the club from last year, imo.

I've had two drivers from Cobra in the past, one was the FlyZ+ and the other was a F8+. Both of these clubs had the interchangeable weights both front and back. I always kept the heavier weight in the heel on those clubs. I've noticed that the Cobra Speedzone has the same weights on the driver. Just wondering where you THPers would position those weights, keep them as is or reverse them?

I've had two drivers from Cobra in the past, one was the FlyZ+ and the other was a F8+. Both of these clubs had the interchangeable weights both front and back. I always kept the heavier weight in the heel on those clubs. I've noticed that the Cobra Speedzone has the same weights on the driver. Just wondering where you THPers would position those weights, keep them as is or reverse them?

Placed the Red one on the Back.

Increases the MOI and makes it more forgiving :drinks:

I think it is so dependent upon the individual and finding the combination of spin and forgiveness that works best. I have always had the heavy weight forward.

Anyone move from the F9 to the SZ? I'm going to hit the SZ, but the reviews online don't indicate much, if any, increase .... though the SZ looks to be more forgiving than the F9... curious about anyone's experience here

Anyone move from the F9 to the SZ? I'm going to hit the SZ, but the reviews online don't indicate much, if any, increase .... though the SZ looks to be more forgiving than the F9... curious about anyone's experience here

Skimmer alert!!! :oops::ROFLMAO: Some others and I have spoken to exactly what you are asking.

Last edited:
Darn.. hadn't seen those, :D

Darn.. hadn't seen those, :D
Same overall Distance wise. 50 percent for me improved control and forgiveness. :drinks:

Slightly increased weight with the Project X Hzrdus Yellow Shaft vs the Hzrdus Smoke :drinks:

The SpeedZone definitely retains ball speed better on missed strikes. That is where Cobra improved the club from last year, imo.

I’m looking forward to spending some more time with the Speedzone Drivers in the near future. Retaining ball speed on missed strikes will be of great interest to me. Thanks for taking the time to share your insights with the forum.

Yes sir I will be

The more I hear from those who have hit them, the more I am excited to see what the Distance Bash brings. Might have to document my impressions when I get my hands on one in a few weeks.

I went from an F8 w/HZRDUS Smoke Black tour length to the SZ TL w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow. I figured if the yellow didn't work for me I could just through the black on it and I'd be good. Range did pretty good so put it in bag for next day. I was just slicing that thing the whole round. Flipped the shaft around to the 10.5D setting and played again. Hit it straight, crushed it(for me), and on the 2 I missed right they were straight just pushed them a bit. I've been using Arccos for over a year now so after I get a few more rounds in I'll see what a difference I have out on the course. Really like the feel of this thing though and the guys who wanted to check it while we played all commented on how light it felt.

The more positive reviews I am reading about it's forgiveness, the more excited I am to be able to give this driver some swings. (y)

One Word of Caution to The Wize....

It is so forgiving that I have found myself Swinging off the Ground and Out of my Shoes. During a Round.

And it Still Lands in The Fairway!:banana:

I am really looking forward to spending a lot of time with this driver. Early indications at the fitting were that the distance wasn't as long as the Callaway, but the dispersion and accuracy were right up there, as well as the forgiveness. I think that once all the settings and shafts are dialled in then this could really be a bomber for me.

I am really looking forward to spending a lot of time with this driver. Early indications at the fitting were that the distance wasn't as long as the Callaway, but the dispersion and accuracy were right up there, as well as the forgiveness. I think that once all the settings and shafts are dialled in then this could really be a bomber for me.

Interesting. You might be the first to suggest the ball speed might be lacking a bit. Almost universally, it is right at the top of the heap.

Anyone have experience or looking into the "Tour Length" SZ driver.

Interesting. You might be the first to suggest the ball speed might be lacking a bit. Almost universally, it is right at the top of the heap.
I'm certainly not giving up. Most likely I just wasn't swinging how I normally would, and as I said before I had been thrown a little bit by the fact that the only tee height at the range was a good bit lower than my own normal tee which probably meant I held back a little bit subconsciously. I'm getting another fitting shortly with a bit of luck and will change everything up then. I certainly have no complaints though, felt fantastic and was straight as an arrow.

Anyone have experience or looking into the "Tour Length" SZ driver.
Are you wanting feedback about tour length in general or specifically with the SZ. I know a good number of us in last years Morgan Cup opted for the tour length F9 (myself included) . If it's general questions about tour length then I'm happy to answer. If you mean specifically for the SZ then I'll leave that to someone who has it in their bag. I will say that I don't ever intend to go back to a longer driver from what I've experienced.

Are you wanting feedback about tour length in general or specifically with the SZ. I know a good number of us in last years Morgan Cup opted for the tour length F9 (myself included) . If it's general questions about tour length then I'm happy to answer. If you mean specifically for the SZ then I'll leave that to someone who has it in their bag. I will say that I don't ever intend to go back to a longer driver from what I've experienced.

What is the difference in ball speed between the two for you @93civiccpe? I understand that some see no difference because they make a better delivery with the shorter club.

Was looking for Tour Length feedback for SZ but any feedback in regards to Cobra line in Tour Length is welcome, as I figure there isn't to much difference between the two models or principal behind it. One thing I noticed it that the weights in tour length were different than standard. Not familiar with F9, but did that have different weighting as well?

Was looking for Tour Length feedback for SZ but any feedback in regards to Cobra line in Tour Length is welcome, as I figure there isn't to much difference between the two models or principal behind it. One thing I noticed it that the weights in tour length were different than standard. Not familiar with F9, but did that have different weighting as well?

The weighting is different (heavier) on tour length to keep the swing weight where Cobra wants it for the shorter shaft.

What is the difference in ball speed between the two for you @93civiccpe? I understand that some see no difference because they make a better delivery with the shorter club.
Craig is right, they add head weight for the shorter tour length driver to give the same swing weight (feel). If you didn't the shorter tour length model would feel different when swinging. To answer the question about ball speed that @Tenputt asked, it was over a year ago when I got fit but here's what I remember. My coach was an advocate of your length because I struggled with finding the center of the driver and it was eye opening that the tour guys were using shorter clubs than us. I tried both and my dispersion was much better with the tour length F9. My average distance was better with the tour length as was my average ball speed. If you chose my best ball with each, the regular length F9 was a couple mph's higher and I believe 5 yards further. But a lot of the regular length driver shots were way off line / short /and many would have been OB. I found the center of the tour length F9 more often and had more balls in play. I will say that I ordered extra weights with mine and experimented with them. With the counterbalanced helium shaft playing at D3 (which is how it came) worked well until I started launching it too high as my swing improved. I moved into an evenflow blue shaft and it brought my launch down but for whatever reason I timed it up better when I set it at D4-D4.5. I got a lot of confidence when I went to tour length which has helped my scores come down as driver was by far the weakest area of my game.

Craig is right, they add head weight for the shorter tour length driver to give the same swing weight (feel). If you didn't the shorter tour length model would feel different when swinging. To answer the question about ball speed that @Tenputt asked, it was over a year ago when I got fit but here's what I remember. My coach was an advocate of your length because I struggled with finding the center of the driver and it was eye opening that the tour guys were using shorter clubs than us. I tried both and my dispersion was much better with the tour length F9. My average distance was better with the tour length as was my average ball speed. If you chose my best ball with each, the regular length F9 was a couple mph's higher and I believe 5 yards further. But a lot of the regular length driver shots were way off line / short /and many would have been OB. I found the center of the tour length F9 more often and had more balls in play. I will say that I ordered extra weights with mine and experimented with them. With the counterbalanced helium shaft playing at D3 (which is how it came) worked well until I started launching it too high as my swing improved. I moved into an evenflow blue shaft and it brought my launch down but for whatever reason I timed it up better when I set it at D4-D4.5. I got a lot of confidence when I went to tour length which has helped my scores come down as driver was by far the weakest area of my game.
Thanks for the insight, very helpful. It will be tough to find this and demo it where I live (not to mention I like using things on the course as I think it is the best way to tell). So I will likely do the purchase plan demo program (buy it and then sell it if I don't like it.. :cool:).

Thanks for the insight, very helpful. It will be tough to find this and demo it where I live (not to mention I like using things on the course as I think it is the best way to tell). So I will likely do the purchase plan demo program (buy it and then sell it if I don't like it.. :cool:).
You can always get both shafts and both sets of weights and try it both ways. That way you can sell whichever shaft length doesn't work as well.

true

I owe THPER'S and :cobra: an Apology.

After Another Big Winning morning 18, and getting into a groove with the SZ, it's definitely longer. In my hands.

It is 10 to 15 yards further down the Fairway than the F9. It is most likely a combination of the Club and the Hzrdus Yellow Shaft. But also the confidence in brings with finding more Fairways.

Without Swinging out of my shoes, it blast past the F9 whenever I have hit two balls on a hole. One with the F9 and the other with the SZ. Plus guess which one is in the Fairway sitting pretty all by itself.

Speedzone with the Hzrdus Yellow is just a better choice for me than the F9 with the Hzrdus Smoke.

Another interesting feature I noticed. With the Red weight forward it has a slight draw bias. With the weight back it produces a repeatable Fade. Again in my hands. Plus the Draw does go a tiny bit further, as expected.
:drinks:

Do F9 shafts fit into the new Cobra SZ?

Back