Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

Ok, folks, so here is the TrackMan report from swings with both the SpeedZone and the Xtreme. Both were 9 degrees heads, set up standard and both used the Smoke Yellow, 65, 6.0 shaft. The SpeedZone standard is identified as “driver” and the Xtreme is identified “2 wood.” I am actually pretty surprised at how much higher the spin was for me with the Xtreme. The highest ball speeds were with the Xtreme, but the overall average swing speed and ball speed are nearly identical. The dispersion was better with the standard head, which also surprised me. This is a very good example of why fitting is SO important. Who would have guessed such a difference in spin with the same shaft?

8466DF52-AA08-4F72-B51D-3B913CB4D929.png13E91972-FD9F-43C1-81BE-3940626324D3.pngCA8CDF85-384D-4DF7-926C-3953DA63041C.png3B863DFA-1D8F-4F3C-ADA5-96F3077BA251.png

Thanks

Ok, folks, so here is the TrackMan report from swings with both the SpeedZone and the Xtreme. Both were 9 degrees heads, set up standard and both used the Smoke Yellow, 65, 6.0 shaft. The SpeedZone standard is identified as “driver” and the Xtreme is identified “2 wood.” I am actually pretty surprised at how much higher the spin was for me with the Xtreme. The highest ball speeds were with the Xtreme, but the overall average swing speed and ball speed are nearly identical. The dispersion was better with the standard head, which also surprised me. This is a very good example of why fitting is SO important. Who would have guessed such a difference in spin with the same shaft?

View attachment 8925115View attachment 8925116View attachment 8925117View attachment 8925118
Dispersion looks really good with the Standard. (y)

Here is the TrackMan optimizer on one of my better drives with the standard SpeedZone.

27D46016-1137-4ABE-9578-0A75A8344BE9.png

View attachment 8925115View attachment 8925116View attachment 8925117View attachment 8925118
That is so weird. I actually like the spin numbers better on the extreme if I'm being completely honest. Plus longer carry by almost 4 yards. I find it odd that dispersion wasn't as good though.

That is so weird. I actually like the spin numbers better on the extreme if I'm being completely honest. Plus longer carry by almost 4 yards. I find it odd that dispersion wasn't as good though.

I really get what you are saying. The spin numbers on the standard head are low and extremely low for me. I saw that the one other time I hit that head with the Smoke Yellow shaft. On the other hand, the spin numbers are higher than I would like on the Xtreme. The Ventus shaft (which is what I ordered with my SpeedZone) cuts the spin in the middle of the two. If I were to game the SpeedZone with the Smoke Yellow, I would put the heavy weight in the back and that might create a nice compromise that would optimize everything for me.

Looking forward to putting this in play tomorrow.

What ball did you use?

I think the Xtreme would be more draw biased no? I think it would work for me if it's draw biased, but I get the 12.5 head lofted down to 11.5.

I like the spin numbers in the Xtreme too, better carry with the Xtreme as well.

Dispersion is weird though especially that outlier that is short and right, definitely makes me more curious to hit them.

I think I'm living my best life with the F9 that is similar to the regular head.

Can’t wait to hear your thoughts!

So far I really like it and I get a craving to hit it from the sound which is new for me

I've actually been concerned with the spin numbers (too low) on all the 2020 drivers so far except the Extreme - I'd much much rather play at 2500 than 2000 just for stability of flight purposes. I think for the lower SS guys (Im one of them) demo time is going to have to be on course - spinning in the 1700-2000 range leads to a lot of knuckleballs at least for me.

I say that as someone that really, really, really liked the Extreme.

So far I really like it and I get a craving to hit it from the sound which is new for me
I made it out to Tucson and I am putting mine into play tomorrow (Xtreme) looking forward to seeing how this performs in a little heat.

Damn, that's a lot of carry for 150 mph ball speed. Sub 2000 spin rate and a 16 deg launch angle. Very nice!

Keep in mind that this TrackMan is set for my elevation, 4000 feet. I would expect the carry and overall distance to be about 5 to 6% less at sea level. The carry and total distance would likely be what the large numbers show on the left side of the screenshot. Still, 257 yards carry and 284 total yards are huge drives for me, and yet, this is what I am seeing with the new Cobra driver.

Keep in mind that this TrackMan is set for my elevation, 4000 feet. I would expect the carry and overall distance to be about 5 to 6% less at sea level. The carry and total distance would likely be what the large numbers show on the left side of the screenshot. Still, 257 yards carry and 284 total yards are huge drives for me, and yet, this is what I am seeing with the new Cobra driver.

Good point but still some great numbers!

I made it out to Tucson and I am putting mine into play tomorrow (Xtreme) looking forward to seeing how this performs in a little heat.
Well, it's not THAT hot here right now lol. Looking forward to playing with you on Friday (and seeing that Xtreme in person!)

Well, it's not THAT hot here right now lol. Looking forward to playing with you on Friday (and seeing that Xtreme in person!)
Compared to where I live this is tropical!

I’m really excited to get this driver in my hands in about a month after reading all the posts about it. I have been working hard to get a better driver swing and hit up on the ball to increase my launch angle. Loving the launch angle numbers I am seeing from the posts here.

I was going to say before I saw the elevation setting, how in the world do I get those carry numbers baha. I swing about the same speed but unfortunately I don’t launch it like you. I’m typically launching at like 10ish and topping out at 12 when I finally do get upward AOA. Typically why loft is my friend and like @OITW i prefer driver heads lofted around 11* and spin around 25-2800. At least from what I recall testing different heads a month or two ago.
Excited to try this one out though soon hopefully

I was going to say before I saw the elevation setting, how in the world do I get those carry numbers baha. I swing about the same speed but unfortunately I don’t launch it like you. I’m typically launching at like 10ish and topping out at 12 when I finally do get upward AOA. Typically why loft is my friend and like @OITW i prefer driver heads lofted around 11* and spin around 25-2800. At least from what I recall testing different heads a month or two ago.
Excited to try this one out though soon hopefully

I thought the same thing until I saw the elevation. Dang that @Tenputt wily veteran that he is. :p

Damn I would go crazy for those spin numbers, I'll take 2100-2400

What ball did you use?

I think the Xtreme would be more draw biased no? I think it would work for me if it's draw biased, but I get the 12.5 head lofted down to 11.5.

I like the spin numbers in the Xtreme too, better carry with the Xtreme as well.

Dispersion is weird though especially that outlier that is short and right, definitely makes me more curious to hit them.

I think I'm living my best life with the F9 that is similar to the regular head.

I was using a Pro V1, 2019 version.

I do feel that the Xtreme is a little draw biased, relative to the standard head, but yet the results show I was spraying it a bit. I may have to try it again and see. Like I mentioned earlier in response to @jdtox, I am really interested to try the standard head with the heavy weight back.

Two times I have hit the standard head with the Smoke Yellow shaft and both times, the spin was really low for me. I usually don’t fight to get the spin up, just the opposite. The average spin with the Ventus Blue shaft was about 2600. I am very curious about it, because it is hard for me to believe that the Smoke Yellow would reduce spin that much.

What ball did you use?

It sounds like you really got the F9 dialed in. Too bad you have to leave it behind.

That's really interesting data. Our swing and ball speeds are almost identical, and you've got a slightly higher launch angle, but everything else is bang on. Shows the potential here, I was about 15 yards less carry, so shows that I maybe need to do some more tinkering with shafts and the like. Food for thought, I love it!

As has been noted. The Cobra SpeedZone has Adjustable Weights. And different weights for the Tour version versus Standard Versions to maintain Club similarities when shortening the shafts.

But A THPER'S a Natural Born Tinkerer. And a Tinkering golf geek would love to know. What would have when we place different weights, in different locations, and different values in the weights?

Inquiring minds would love to know.

We have to wait awhile for when the after market weights are available cheaply on FleaBay. My thumb are all ready circling the buy button. ?

Back