Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

Bridgestone Golf

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
A different point needs to also be made. The unique combination of the Speedzone and the Hzrdus Smoke Yellow is incredibly reliable and stable throughout the swing. I have last year's Hzrdus Smoke and I have plugged it into the Speedzone to test the different. It is night and day, no comparison. It almost feels like you are hitting a totally different Driver Head.

Cobra obviously knows what they are doing and must have worked closely with Project X engineers to make a completely balanced exceptional Driver. :drinks:

mantan

Reaction score
Handicap
A different point needs to also be made. The unique combination of the Speedzone and the Hzrdus Smoke Yellow is incredibly reliable and stable throughout the swing. I have last year's Hzrdus Smoke and I have plugged it into the Speedzone to test the different. It is night and day, no comparison. It almost feels like you are hitting a totally different Driver Head.

Cobra obviously knows what they are doing and must have worked closely with Project X engineers to make a completely balanced exceptional Driver. :drinks:
Which model Speedzone are you using?

ToddJ027b

Morgan Cup, Paradise 2020
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I had a chance to hit both drivers at a Worldwide Golf Store (Uinta golf)....The SZ extreme had way too high of a spin rate for me. The SZ ended up better, and the fitter said with the right shaft it would be even better. Unfortunately he only had about 4 shafts that were close and I tried 3 of them. I was getting a spin rate of around 3800 with the Extreme. Then with the SZ I got the spin rate to 2500-2600 with the Rogue Silver, but was over 3000 with both the Hzrdus Smoke Yellow and with the Tensei Blue. My swing speed was between 106-108. I wanted to get it dialed in the SZ driver a little more. So the next day I went to the PGASuperstore. The fitter at the PGASuperstore only had 3 shafts again. Hzrdus yellow, Tensei Blue, and Rogue Silver, 110msi (all three S flex). By the end, and after about 80 drives, I ended up with the SZ head again, not the extreme. 9 deg, moved to 10 deg with Rogue Silver shaft. In the end I was averaging 147 mph ball speed, 2300 back spin, and 15.3 deg launch angle. So just about ideal according to the fitter.

H8tobogie

MC Team Hackers 2020
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I had a chance to hit both drivers at a Worldwide Golf Store (Uinta golf)....The SZ extreme had way too high of a spin rate for me. The SZ ended up better, and the fitter said with the right shaft it would be even better. Unfortunately he only had about 4 shafts that were close and I tried 3 of them. I was getting a spin rate of around 3800 with the Extreme. Then with the SZ I got the spin rate to 2500-2600 with the Rogue Silver, but was over 3000 with both the Hzrdus Smoke Yellow and with the Tensei Blue. My swing speed was between 106-108. I wanted to get it dialed in the SZ driver a little more. So the next day I went to the PGASuperstore. The fitter at the PGASuperstore only had 3 shafts again. Hzrdus yellow, Tensei Blue, and Rogue Silver, 110msi (all three S flex). By the end, and after about 80 drives, I ended up with the SZ head again, not the extreme. 9 deg, moved to 10 deg with Rogue Silver shaft. In the end I was averaging 147 mph ball speed, 2300 back spin, and 15.3 deg launch angle. So just about ideal according to the fitter.
2300 spin with that setup is pretty solid! Are you settled on the shaft at this point?

Johan185

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Which model Speedzone are you using?
Speedzone Standard 9.0 degree Head. Project X Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60 gram 6.5 Shaft. One degree decrease in Loft to 8.0. Draw Setting which for a Hooker Like me Produces a Straight Slight Power Fade. Larkins Crossline Jumbo Grips. Two Wraps. Gorilla Hands and Arms.

Swing speed 105 to 113. Under control. Top speed on a launch monitor 122. But it won't work on a golf course. Unlike Rory who tops over 130 under control. :drinks:

jdtox

It’s a process
Albatross 2020 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Awesome stuff right here. Solid launch and spin #'s

ToddJ027b

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2300 spin with that setup is pretty solid! Are you settled on the shaft at this point?
I'm not sure to be honest. I wanted to try some other shafts. Rogue White comes to mind. I'm just not sure what the options will be for the Morgan Cup. But at least it's a good starting point.

Tevenor

Honored to be the 1st member of the Grandmama!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Speedzone Standard 9.0 degree Head. Project X Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60 gram 6.5 Shaft. One degree decrease in Loft to 8.0. Draw Setting which for a Hooker Like me Produces a Straight Slight Power Fade. Larkins Crossline Jumbo Grips. Two Wraps. Gorilla Hands and Arms.
I am confused on how a draw setting for someone who already hooks it creates a slight power fade? Are you holding off your hands or something because of the draw?

mantan

Reaction score
Handicap

Swing speed 105 to 113. Under control. Top speed on a launch monitor 122. But it won't work on a golf course. Unlike Rory who tops over 130 under control. :drinks:
Thanks! I'm looking forward to testing this one and seeing if it can unseat my G400 Max. I didn't even demo driver last year. It's been the best driver I've ever owned...but for some reason the Cobra Speedzone is calling my name to test. Especially when I read the MOI of the Extreme was similar...

Johan185

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am confused on how a draw setting for someone who already hooks it creates a slight power fade? Are you holding off your hands or something because of the draw?
Something the standard 9.0 degree slot and shaft combination was producing a large Fade to huge Slice. I didn't have a Launch monitor to deep dive into the details, but I am a Tinkerer with a Torque wrench.

Kept changing settings until the ball was going where I intended. I was also change grip positions. My grip is actually on the driver two knocks up Strong. Which again should Hook the ball 50 yards.

But I am a strong believer that if it works, who cares why. If it cures my Cancer of Hooking the ball. I am all in.

But a quick session on a Trackman would give you the numbers to determine what my swing and club face angles are doing to the spin numbers to give me the results I love. :drinks:

Tevenor

Honored to be the 1st member of the Grandmama!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Something about this combination was producing a large Fade to huge Slice. I didn't have a Launch monitor to deep dive into the details, but I am a Tinkerer with a Torque wrench.

Kept changing settings until the ball was going where I intended. I was also change grip positions. My grip is actually on the driver two knocks up Strong. Which again should Hook the ball 50 yards.

But I am a strong believer that if it works, who cares why. If it cures my Cancer of Hooking the ball. I am all in.

But a quick session on a Trackman would give you the numbers to determine what my swing and club face angles are doing to the spin numbers to give me the results I love. :drinks:

Ahh, that makes more sense. My natural swing is a draw swing with a strong grip which just aggrevated the snap hook model. I dialed it back with some grip positioning and some adjustment on head configuration. One of the configs was to put the head into draw-heaving mode and swing a cut swing which balanced out to a relatively straight flight. It added a bit of spin which I didn't like so I tweaked it back a bit the other direction.

Johan185

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I also don't ground the driver on set up. And I have the Club face open on setup. The draw setting only affects a slightly more to up position during the setup. With the natural toe drooping during the swing it is probably back to neutral during the actual hitting of the ball. :drinks:

jfrigo1003

#TeamParadise2020
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Great numbers!! Im gonna try today to hit both models and grab numbers also

annsguy

Reaction score
Handicap
My3Kids
I saw a picture on IM of speedzone in white scondary color instead of yellow. I like it a lot better.The yellow has thrown me off cobra for a while.

oumagic

Team Paradise 2020
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 10
I saw a picture on IM of speedzone in white scondary color instead of yellow. I like it a lot better.The yellow has thrown me off cobra for a while.
I love the matte black and white model. I could play the glossy black and yellow, but it makes me feel like a fancy boy. Matte black feels like I am going to work and having beers after. The yellow feels like I am dressed up for a party and going to have a martini, shaken and not stirred.

I hope to hit some this weekend. I want to try the extreme version first and see if I can get the spin where I want and a helpful dose of forgiveness.

Johan185

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Another great point is how does my yardage range from240 to 290?

They don't call it the Sweet Spot for nothing.

Since I am not so naturally gifted to find the center of the club face, I am always delighted when I do.

But more importantly is the fact that the forgiveness always shine through. I am more than happy to lose 20 or 40 yards on a off center hit from the toe or heel that lands safely in the Fairway or near the edge versus Hooking and slicing the ball all over the place. This consistent safety net as it were is allowing the freedom to swing more freely. Receiving the rewards of a big drive if I find the Heart of the Sweet Spot, but only losing a few yards down the Fairway if I miss hit the SZ Driver.

It's the best of both worlds for me. :drinks:

vdubtx

MC Team Paradise 2020
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My initial impressions coming this weekend on the drivers/fairways as well as irons. (y)

I have in my mind what I think will get set up for, but going in with a wide open mind for what fitter says to start getting me dialed in.

erock9174

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was ready to write the SZX off. But today tried the 12* with Tensei Blue 65. Hmmm. With a little more body tilt at address things clicked.

Not sure if it beat my Flash 12* EF Green combo but on the course it would have been a fun head to head.

erock9174

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Question for the cobra guys.

Does anyone have a chart that shows the myfly adapter in terms of how it impacts lie angle?

For example
STD loft = Std Lie
+1 loft = how many degrees + or - lie
For all the settings.

mantan

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anybody know if the PGA Tour Superstore carry the Tour Length version in stock? I didn't see it on the website. I assumed they would carry both types...

I was going to run by there tomorrow after work. I may need to give them a call before...

Bernoulli

Enjoy every sandwich
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
My initial impressions coming this weekend on the drivers/fairways as well as irons. (y)

I have in my mind what I think will get set up for, but going in with a wide open mind for what fitter says to start getting me dialed in.
Good luck with your fitting and good luck with your club selection process. So many good offerings from Cobra.

MarMill8412

#Paradise2020
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8-9
Nice numbers. Getting everything dialed in for the Morgan cup!

vdubtx

MC Team Paradise 2020
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Good luck with your fitting and good luck with your club selection process. So many good offerings from Cobra.
Thanks. Hopefully this shop I am going to works out. Will likely do a couple fittings with them if so. Very inexpensive since I am only wanting to hit Cobra clubs. :cool:(y)

jfrigo1003

#TeamParadise2020
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
TXG just uploaded the F9 vs SZ video.... haven't watched but got the notification. Very curious on the results. No matter what for me, I know SZ has been miles better than F9

ToddJ027b

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
TXG just uploaded the F9 vs SZ video.... haven't watched but got the notification. Very curious on the results. No matter what for me, I know SZ has been miles better than F9
That's going to be interesting to watch.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in