Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

What was the difference in the two shafts?
I found the Rogue to be more tip stiff and have less of a kick than the smoke yellow. The smoke black I tried last year bc it was the popular stock shaft and hated that one too. Smoke Yellow, even as counter balanced, didnt feel any different to me than the black.... for what its worth I really like both the regular versions of hzrdus black and yellow, but not the smoke line

I have an aggressive tempo, so shafts I feel as "loose" I tend to lose way right with lots of spin

Ordered a Speedzone Extreme today, Black/White head, 9º, UST Mamiya Helium Black #4 Lite/Senior Flex, -3/4" Short, GP Tour Velvet Align Black-Red Std + 1 Wrap grip. The Helium Black 4 shaft is back ordered so will have to wait for the driver. Hit this exact set up driver at GG and the spin numbers are lower than the gamer Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* with the Miyazaki C Kua 5R and the impact was a more muted "whack" sound with the Cobra than the Cleveland "ping" impact sound.

I have a diamana bf on the way that will play 45” in the speedzone. It will be a good test against the g410 lst with diamana zf. Both shafts are 60 gram stiff tipped 1/2”. Once I get it and check the swing weight I will order some heavier weights to bring it up to d4 to match the ping. It’s going to be a fun spring.

Last edited:
I went and did some Testing after work today to see what SpeedZone would have to offer compared to my F9 SpeedBack. I liked the F9 pretty well last season, save some general feels that the shaft I have in it is not my overall favorite, but serviceable. I'm tempted to trade in the F9 for a SZ based on looks alone, but if a performance improvement is there that would be better still. Here is what I hit:

F9 Speedback (my '19 gamer) 9* w/ Fuji Atmos Black TS 6X

Speedzone 9* w/ Rogue Silver 110 6S
Speedzone Extreme 9* w/ Rogue Silver 110 6S
Speedzone Extreme 9* w/ Smoke Yellow 6.5 - Tour Length w/ 14g weight @ back

And the results - data are comprised of 12 shots with the SZ Xtreme and 4 shots with each of the other three configurations. My F9 SpeedBack is listed as SIM MAX in the picture (being lazy :) ):

IMG_5896.jpg

I wanted primarily to test the SZ and Extreme heads next to each other, and also to try Tour Length. I was glad they had at least one shorter shaft in HZRDUS Yellow, even though in general I don't like that one. The Rogue Silver was a great fit and right up my alley, I may see about X vs. S in that shaft next.

At the end, I actually hit the F9 the best. But, with more shots know that I have worse days more often with that setup. Of the SpeedZone setups, I like the Extreme best. My fitter and I both agreed that we liked the ball flight and patterns overall. I was doing well with the SZ, but maybe not getting a touch of launch that I was with the Extreme. Though dispersion looks bigger on the Extreme that is simple a function of being 12 shots and a combo of a couple nice draws with 10 fades, as compared to the other clubs I hit 4 nice fades and moved on. Today my natural draw was just not there but a great natural fade was. Note the SZ is farthest right of all, but arguably it was my worst set swinging as well.

Regarding Tour Length, it appears I do lose a few yards with a shorter shaft, but I was swinging decent and accuracy was definitely there. Then again, it was with the F9 too.

I was ready to pull the trigger but decided to sleep on it and maybe have one more test session in a couple days. Picking through this session is splitting hairs, I like the feel and looks of all of them. I'm thinking having both regular and Tour length setups depending on the day could be a thing for me in 2020.

As usual, a shout out to Golf and Ski Warehouse in West Lebanon NH for the fantastic access to equipment and fitting services. Their crew is tops.

Last edited:
Just want to share some thoughts about what I was fit into at Distance Bash by @DannyLe

Here are some pictures of my set up.
0FFA83D0-653E-4A66-88F5-E2C1BFF5D147.jpeg
9022A40D-D7CF-4716-8881-386A744288F2.jpeg
6379A951-F81E-4044-AECA-E7505DCA7A41.jpeg

From the pics above you can see I have a 9* Speedzone Extreme with a UST LIN-Q Gunmetal 7F5 shaft set to -1* D.

The way this sets up to the ball is very pleasing to my eyes. I do not like a face that looks and feels shut at address and this looks very neutral to me. Also, the color scheme between the head and shaft are phenomenal.

Honestly, I felt like I’d like the Matte finish better but there is a sparkle glossy finish that really tapers off the reflection concerns I had coming in. I’ve personally never hit a fully milled face driver, but I was really excited about this as well.

So let’s get into my thoughts about the performance after a few rounds with this.
I’m typically a fader of the golf ball. My swing is a little over the top, but it’s not horrible and it works. My handicap right now is a 10.7 and I’d attribute that to losing balls off the tee or putting myself in some bad spots off the tee. My throwing up a 77 at the conservatory while playing a shamble off the tee confirms this.

Anyways, the forgiveness is really really solid. I, in no way, hit the center of the face every time. My miss off the face generally is towards the toe and IMO is where this thing shines.

Toe hits do not seems overly penalizing to me and distance loss is not that significant either. A lot of times when people say they hit off the toe, they tend to hook it. I’m the opposite, I tend to block it Right of Ronald Reagan. These shots I was used to seeing fly into the tree line out of play seem to go pretty dang straight and when I say that, it’s just off the fairway, if not in the fairway. This is huge for me.

I also have to embarrassingly admit that I hit a few drives recently where I drop kicked it a touch and the dang ball still went straight and has very solid distance.

This is a small sample of thoughts but to justify what I’ve seen and the improvement of keeping the ball in play, I shot my best back 9 (37) at my home course last weekend with less than my “A” swing off the tee.

I’ll continue to share some thoughts but I’ve got some really solid confidence with this club knowing I can hit it all over the face and get away with it lol.

Just ordered the SZ Xtreme for this year.

9* Head w/ Smoke Yellow 70 6.5 Tour Length

Basically came down to the fact that even though I could knock off some more spin, I still always play my F9 in rear weight position.

Really excited. I may have ordered a big tour 3 and tour 5 to go with it....

Will be doing all of the Xcaliber Xclusiv shaft review work with this head. 💪(y)

Just want to share some thoughts about what I was fit into at Distance Bash by @DannyLe

View attachment 8930796
View attachment 8930797
View attachment 8930798

From the pics above you can see I have a 9* Speedzone Extreme with a UST LIN-Q Gunmetal 7F5 shaft set to -1* D.

The way this sets up to the ball is very pleasing to my eyes. I do not like a face that looks and feels shut at address and this looks very neutral to me. Also, the color scheme between the head and shaft are phenomenal.

Honestly, I felt like I’d like the Matte finish better but there is a sparkle glossy finish that really tapers off the reflection concerns I had coming in. I’ve personally never hit a fully milled face driver, but I was really excited about this as well.

So let’s get into my thoughts about the performance after a few rounds with this.
I’m typically a fader of the golf ball. My swing is a little over the top, but it’s not horrible and it works. My handicap right now is a 10.7 and I’d attribute that to losing balls off the tee or putting myself in some bad spots off the tee. My throwing up a 77 at the conservatory while playing a shamble off the tee confirms this.

Anyways, the forgiveness is really really solid. I, in no way, hit the center of the face every time. My miss off the face generally is towards the toe and IMO is where this thing shines.

Toe hits do not seems overly penalizing to me and distance loss is not that significant either. A lot of times when people say they hit off the toe, they tend to hook it. I’m the opposite, I tend to block it Right of Ronald Reagan. These shots I was used to seeing fly into the tree line out of play seem to go pretty dang straight and when I say that, it’s just off the fairway, if not in the fairway. This is huge for me.

I also have to embarrassingly admit that I hit a few drives recently where I drop kicked it a touch and the dang ball still went straight and has very solid distance.

This is a small sample of thoughts but to justify what I’ve seen and the improvement of keeping the ball in play, I shot my best back 9 (37) at my home course last weekend with less than my “A” swing off the tee.

I’ll continue to share some thoughts but I’ve got some really solid confidence with this club knowing I can hit it all over the face and get away with it lol.
Really good stuff here. (y)

View attachment 8930796
View attachment 8930797
View attachment 8930798

Love the look of your combo Mike. Just looks seemless and the head matches the shaft really well.

Was finally able to put a swing on this today thanks to @LLIB and it was riiiiiiipped. Only 1 swing, but my want level went from yeah I think that'll be my next driver to I might run out this week and buy one.

Was finally able to put a swing on this today thanks to @LLIB and it was riiiiiiipped. Only 1 swing, but my want level went from yeah I think that'll be my next driver to I might run out this week and buy one.

You smoked that drive. Was probably your best of the day

I am counting down the days to demo day this Saturday. I am definitely going Tour Length....and whatever combo seems to work well for me. I currently play at 10.5* G400 Max., with the loft turned down slightly. I'm thinking a 10.5* Extreme with the Misuibishi or HRZDUS shaft will be the choice. I'll go yellow if I get the HZRDUS, white if I don't.

Aldila Rogue Silver. I liked it a lot. I hate the hzrdus smoke line
Yeah I like the rogue silver and couldn't ever hit the smoke line, doesn't match my swing.

Went out and played 18 with @Vader today. First full round since return from the Distance Bash a few weeks back. Just wanted to post some more of my initial feedback of the driver head itself here. I'll follow up with my feedback on the LinQ Gunmetal in the appropriate thread.

Coming from the Titleist 917D2, the first thing I have noticed is an increase in forgiveness. My swing has been in constant change since starting lessons last March, so it is anything but repeatable. With that being said, this SZ Extreme head keeps me in play. No lost balls or penalties off the tee today, which is far from a given for me. When I wasn't getting too quick with the hands and hooking the ball, the good swings were putting a nice baby draw on the ball just like I want and the misses were going straight (yea nice problem to have). Sound is quite consistent regardless of the strike and is more muted than the Titleist, which is not really good or bad for me. The sound is not a huge factor but that is what I have observed.

As for distance, I do think it is a little bit longer than the Titleist I am coming from, but I will wait and see. Through the swing changes my driver distances are down in general and with the courses just starting to come back to life it is hard to judge what kind of differential I am seeing. Looking forward to getting more comfortable with it and will continue to update on my experience as the year progresses.

Finally got back outside for the first time since the Distance Bash and the more I hit this, the more I love it. Just killing it down range. Not much thinking. Just swing the same each time and it goes. So much so, I got asked to stop hitting it by the range staff as I was hitting them over the border fence at the far edge of the range.

20200309_164723.jpg
20200309_164715.jpg

Finally got back outside for the first time since the Distance Bash and the more I hit this, the more I love it. Just killing it down range. Not much thinking. Just swing the same each time and it goes. So much so, I got asked to stop hitting it by the range staff as I was hitting them over the border fence at the far edge of the range.

View attachment 8931038
View attachment 8931039
That is one nice looking combo.

View attachment 8931038
View attachment 8931039

it really does look awesome.

From guys who have hit both, what's the difference from the HZRDUS Yello and Mistubishi shaft?

I swing right at 100 mph. Fairly quick transition. Inside out swing. Stock shot is a baby draw or dead straight. Trackman at my last lesson with PING G400 Max 10.5* with stock Alta (turned down .6*) had a dynamic launch of 14.5, slight negative AoA (0.7), 2400rpm spin...

Demo day is going to be rained out. I'm going to just take a flier and order a TL Extreme (don't like length of PING) - just trying to decide which shaft...

From guys who have hit both, what's the difference from the HZRDUS Yello and Mistubishi shaft?

I swing right at 100 mph. Fairly quick transition. Inside out swing. Stock shot is a baby draw or dead straight. Trackman at my last lesson with PING G400 Max 10.5* with stock Alta (turned down .6*) had a dynamic launch of 14.5, slight negative AoA (0.7), 2400rpm spin...

Demo day is going to be rained out. I'm going to just take a flier and order a TL Extreme (don't like length of PING) - just trying to decide which shaft...

I presume you mean the stock Tensei Blue 65 shaft. If so, the Smoke Yellow will be lower launch and spin. You will not feel as much kick with the Smoke Yellow as you will with the Tensei Blue.

The stock Alta might not be dissimilar to the Tensei shaft, although it is counterbalanced, IIRC, as is the Smoke Yellow. As long as the head weight feels ok to you, I would think that the Tensei is closer to what you are used to with your current PING Max.

I got a chance to hit the xTreme driver yesterday. It’s amazing to me how much it is like (and different from my F9 gamer).

I really like the CNC milled face going across the clubhead. I didn’t think it would matter or be a little off putting, but it actually gave me some really good confidence.

The xTreme was longer than F9 on solid contact hits and the F9 was slightly longer on off center strikes (something I chalked up to just not having a lot of time with the xTreme).

Both sound amazing - the XTreme was slightly thuddier on impact, but honestly that may have been my imagination - they felt basically identical!

The overall dispersion was better with the xTreme, as I had hoped for!

The big difference that I noticed right off - F9 is draw biased in its default settings and xTreme is slightly fade biased. I’ve never been a good fader of the ball and it was interesting seeing that yesterday consistently.

Overall, a very nice driver; better forgiveness, similar distance (if a touch longer); and a switch from draw to neutral/fade bias

I got a chance to hit the xTreme driver yesterday. It’s amazing to me how much it is like (and different from my F9 gamer).

I really like the CNC milled face going across the clubhead. I didn’t think it would matter or be a little off putting, but it actually gave me some really good confidence.

The xTreme was longer than F9 on solid contact hits and the F9 was slightly longer on off center strikes (something I chalked up to just not having a lot of time with the xTreme).

Both sound amazing - the XTreme was slightly thuddier on impact, but honestly that may have been my imagination - they felt basically identical!

The overall dispersion was better with the xTreme, as I had hoped for!

The big difference that I noticed right off - F9 is draw biased in its default settings and xTreme is slightly fade biased. I’ve never been a good fader of the ball and it was interesting seeing that yesterday consistently.

Overall, a very nice driver; better forgiveness, similar distance (if a touch longer); and a switch from draw to neutral/fade bias

Were you using the same shaft in both heads? I only ask, because, in my experience, the F9 head is fade biased and the Xtreme head is draw biased, the opposite of your experience. I am not saying you are wrong. i just always find the different perceptions in equipment, when not in the hands of Iron Byron, to be fascinating.

Back