Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

I threw a Graphite Design Tour AD GP stiff shaft in my SpeedZone head. The adapter was the F8 adapter. It fits the later heads, but the settings are slightly different. I set the head at 9.5 in the draw setting. The ball flight looked good on the range, when I hit some balls on Tuesday. Yesterday on the course for 9 holes, I had the following results:

Hole 1 (with no warmup): Pulled left into the rough and about average distance for me on that hole.
Hole 2: High, strong ball fight, with a barely perceptible fade in the fairway. Quite long relative distance.
Hole 3: Similar to hole 2, with average distance.
Hole 5: High strong ball flight, where I left the fact open, in the next fairway. Above average distance.
Hole 7: Another baby fade, average to slightly less than average distance. One foot right of fairway.
Hole 9: My only draw of the round with driver. Medium ball flight, middle of fairway, average distance.

At least for those 9 holes, with this shaft and setting, I hit 3/6 fairways, with one of the misses only being one foot into the rough. The prevalent ball flight was a strong, high fade. Distance was about what I would expect from driver, overall.

I had been playing the Ventus Blue shaft and I think there may be more ball speed with the Ventus, but the Tour AD GP shaft gave me a more repeatable ball flight, at least for this tiny sample.

Were you using the same shaft in both heads? I only ask, because, in my experience, the F9 head is fade biased and the Xtreme head is draw biased, the opposite of your experience. I am not saying you are wrong. i just always find the different perceptions in equipment, when not in the hands of Iron Byron, to be fascinating.

Yes, exact same shaft, just pulled out the wrench and swapped them between heads. Agreed, it could totally be how these clubs interacted with my swing itself; but it was all hit the same day in the same session with the same shaft, so really the variables were the range balls and the heads that I was comparing.

I've tried the extreme version a few time. The smash factor all over the face is what I like best. Wish they made the same model type in a very low spin head though.

I agree with the sentiment that its a very very forgiving driver face. Much better than my Epic Flash SZ which I will be putting up for sale here soon.

1st round with the new Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9* driver with the matte black/white head, UST Mamiya Helium 4F2 59 gram shaft @ 44.5" length. Great impact sound and feel, mid high launch and consistently dead straight. I want to say that today I was swinging so well too which helped in all respects with the results. Distance was a little short compared to my gamer Cleveland Launcher HB Turbo 9* driver. 3 things affected the distance, different ball, cold temps and wet grounds from the overnight rains. Monday I will use my gamer ball, Supersoft, where as today I used the new Taylormade Tour Response which I liked. Finished the round with a great drive on 18, impact pic attached. Very happy with all aspects of this driver, very solid.

3 13 20 Speedzone impact.jpg

The face is definitely forgiving. Especially towards the toe. I did not see much distance loss with my toe hits and honestly the ball stayed pretty straight.

I presume you mean the stock Tensei Blue 65 shaft. If so, the Smoke Yellow will be lower launch and spin. You will not feel as much kick with the Smoke Yellow as you will with the Tensei Blue.

The stock Alta might not be dissimilar to the Tensei shaft, although it is counterbalanced, IIRC, as is the Smoke Yellow. As long as the head weight feels ok to you, I would think that the Tensei is closer to what you are used to with your current PING Max.

The demo day tomorrow ended up being cancelled due to weather. I went ahead and ordered a TL Extreme with the Tensei shaft....

Hoping to get down to some frisky business with this one on Sunday working with this trio of Xcaliber Xclusiv shafts I’m reviewing.

Hoping to get down to some frisky business with this one on Sunday working with this trio of Xcaliber Xclusiv shafts I’m reviewing.

Looking forward to that one! :oops:

So, I was on the tee with my Cobra Speedzone. There were vole trails all over around the tee box. I looked to my right and there was the culprit (or at least one of them). I walked over to the critter and it just kept munching on something. I reached over with my Cobra and gave it a little tap, nothing too hard, mind you. The thing flopped over dead.

I never knew how deadly King Cobras really are. I had read about it, but, wow.

My speedzone xtreme tour length came in today. Hoping to give it a test run on the course tomorrow.

9* Head set up in std draw. Depending on ball flight it may be fiddled with a bit.

My speedzone xtreme tour length came in today. Hoping to give it a test run on the course tomorrow.

9* Head set up in std draw. Depending on ball flight it may be fiddled with a bit.
What is the tour length? Std length is 45.25", right?

With Arccos it came in at 44.5".

I'm not the tallest so most of my clubs are shorter than standard. Cobra makes it easy for drivers with tour length option.

"Inspired by Rickie Fowler, both the 9- and 10.5-degree heads will also be available in two lengths (44.5 and 45.5 inches). The 44.5-inch “Tour Length” offering was inspired by Rickie Fowler’s 43.50-inch driver and should deliver a tighter dispersion without sacrificing too much in the distance department."

I'm not the tallest so most of my clubs are shorter than standard. Cobra makes it easy for drivers with tour length option.
Same height issue as you, 5' 6". I wasn't aware of the tour issue option so I ordered mine minus 3/4". Without the Arccos std length is 45.25".

Same height issue as you, 5' 6". I wasn't aware of the tour issue option so I ordered mine minus 3/4". Without the Arccos std length is 45.25".

I believe starting with the F8 cobra had it as an option. Rickie went to a short driver in the F7 and Cobra did a good job jumping on the opportunity.

Basically they add heavier weights and change the internal weights to accommodate a 1" shorter club length.

The shortest I was able to order from Cobra was 2" under standard and they hot melt the head in order to get to proper swing weight in addition to the weights.

I ordered the exact same driver. One of my favorite drivers of all-time was an R5 with a 44.5 inch shaft. It was as long as anything I ever hit. The one thing I didn't like about my G400 Max was the 45.5 length. It's very forgiving, but I am thinking a 44.5 inch Cobra can be even better.

So fairways were fairly soaked even though it hasn't rained in about a week. On the range I thought ball flight was a little high and dropped a degree to -1* Draw setting.

I played from the back tees so I was hitting driver a lot and I was in a lot of my usual places when playing from my normal tees. I wouldn't necessarily say the club was longer but it definitely felt powerful off the tee. I had a few pokes over 300, but had some other strikes come up short for me. Needless to say more testing is needed.

I also put the club in the draw setting to try and counteract the shortened club length a bit. I only lost one shot to left, and it seemed to work for the most part with most of my shots going dead straight. However, it does look odd at address seeing the toe that high in the air and I have to make sure I dont block it.

More testing is needed, but so far I enjoy the head and the hzrdus smoke yellow feels pretty good. Once I have some more time I'll dial things in on the range and course.

829F5A03-AAAE-4FB2-ACC5-FD44F9E4049A.jpeg

D8F0D487-69F3-4825-BF45-678B6BBDA4EF.jpeg

5014F367-5AC2-4A70-B10D-277442756B70.jpeg

16682AF6-984A-4E77-B878-E5B0F225E739.jpeg

Now go hit them and let's see some numbers! :)

Those are sweet looking shafts, looking forward to your thoughts not only on the shafts for your review but your thoughts on the speedzone vs the ping g410 lst

20E2CC0F-FA61-4BB6-BF2A-462FED5F7C75.jpeg19957718-12A5-44AC-8B24-8B4FFFF9DD42.jpegBB99AE92-078F-4ADA-9288-1CC4178B4F72.jpegB24FBC9C-8182-4F7C-831B-041513AE0355.jpeg

And here we have the new big dawg! SZ Xtreme, avalanche white set at 12 degrees. Tour length, Hzrdus Smoke Yellow 60 shaft in stiff.

Honestly, this thing looks even better in person, the matt top is just out of this world and is screaming hit me!E800D3E2-19F7-4A77-9DC7-72E8B309FFFF.jpeg

Back