Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

I ... just ... want ... to hit ... bombs.

My usual miss is to the right with the occasional big "Fore Left!" I'm probably one whom Ping: "The SFT driver is almost impossible to slice." Me: "Hold my beer."

I was looking at the SZ Extreme 10.5 with either the Tensei AV Blue or the Helium Black, both in R, 3/4" short, D1 (or close) with Tour Velvet +1 wrap since we might have another stimulus check coming and I'm not jumping for joy with the performance of my Ping G410 Plus - I'm 30 yds longer with my F9 3W. I'm wondering if the launch monitor was off at the store the day we adjusted it when it came in because the on course performance does not match up anywhere close. Are there ever any driver heads that are just lemons?

Putting the LAGolf OLYSS 65 in for the round today.

Figured it was time for a change since I hit a car yesterday....

Was it moving?

Yes and there was no glass contact
Did they stop or keep driving?

(unrelated: my league partner put on out on the road yesterday during our match:oops: luckily all cards were unscathed)

One thing to add to my longer shaft experiment. I had the TL so the heavier 14g weight is installed already but my longer shaft has affected that now. Being roughly 3/4" longer thats at least 3 swing weight points and the being a counterbalanced shaft might be more. I am curious what the swing weight actually is now. :unsure:

So, the SZ vs the Xtreme is going to be an interesting one.

I believe the SZ sounds and feels better, more solid and overall powerful, with The Xtreme being louder and at times a little hollow.

Looks wise, the shape on the Xtreme isn’t as extreme as I had pictured in my head, or as much so as we see with other companies that have two options in one line. Both are fun at address, though infinity face takes some getting used to as many in here have discussed.

I hit the Xtreme exclusively yesterday and I think the numbers are going to be decent. I really need to try and get the GC2 outdoors this week with me to the course and see as I’m swinging driver way more freely outdoors than in my indoor setup.

The Xtreme at 9 w the LINQ Gunmetal definitely seems to spin more than the SZ at 10.5 w the same F5 flex setup in it, but again I’ve got no definitive numbers yet.

I don’t have any advantage for either driver right now, hoping next week I can get comfortable and then get some data.

One thing to add to my longer shaft experiment. I had the TL so the heavier 14g weight is installed already but my longer shaft has affected that now. Being roughly 3/4" longer thats at least 3 swing weight points and the being a counterbalanced shaft might be more. I am curious what the swing weight actually is now. :unsure:

Does it feel off?

Does it feel off?
The whole thing feels different with the longer shaft. I don't think I'm typically that sensitive to swing weight so maybe its just the length. Its odd because I've always played that length so I wouldn't think it'd be off but I've playing the shorter shaft all season so it all feels weird right now haha. Just one of those things you probably never think about but would be curious to know

Length will add, but the CB will negate some of it. I bet it’s less off/different than you think.

The whole thing feels different with the longer shaft. I don't think I'm typically that sensitive to swing weight so maybe its just the length. Its odd because I've always played that length so I wouldn't think it'd be off but I've playing the shorter shaft all season so it all feels weird right now haha. Just one of those things you probably never think about but would be curious to know

Best way to test, is swap back and forth or drop some lead tape on the bottom (can always take it off).

Length will add, but the CB will negate something of it. I bet it’s less off/different than you think.
I'm sure you are right and its just the longer shaft playing tricks on my mind now. Its funny how quickly we get acclimated to something new haha.

I have a little club building area now, I might pick up an inexpensive swing weight scale just for fun

I'm sure you are right and its just the longer shaft playing tricks on my mind now. Its funny how quickly we get acclimated to something new haha.

I have a little club building area now, I might pick up an inexpensive swing weight scale just for fun
I'll likely be in the same mind set once I get my Smoke Black shaft on the Xtreme. It plays an inch longer than my TL Smoke Yellow from Cobra.

Really intrigued by the LINQ Purple, reading so many good experiences with that line of shafts. That might be next to give a try

Putting the LAGolf OLYSS 65 in for the round today.

Figured it was time for a change since I hit a car yesterday....

What was a car doing in the fairway? 🤣

Does sound like we have some similarities with our miss. Misses right fortunately for me have also been playable, but need to figure it out and make more fairways.

Dropped my prior gamers HZRDUS Smoke Black off at golf shop today to get Cobra adapter put on. Will see what kind of performance I see with that change. (y)

Hope you get it worked out. I’ve hit 12 of my last 9 fairways and 6 of the misses were easily played with full shots out of the rough. Only one bad miss right in last 27 holes. I’ll take that
I ... just ... want ... to hit ... bombs.

My usual miss is to the right with the occasional big "Fore Left!" I'm probably one whom Ping: "The SFT driver is almost impossible to slice." Me: "Hold my beer."

I was looking at the SZ Extreme 10.5 with either the Tensei AV Blue or the Helium Black, both in R, 3/4" short, D1 (or close) with Tour Velvet +1 wrap since we might have another stimulus check coming and I'm not jumping for joy with the performance of my Ping G410 Plus - I'm 30 yds longer with my F9 3W. I'm wondering if the launch monitor was off at the store the day we adjusted it when it came in because the on course performance does not match up anywhere close. Are there ever any driver heads that are just lemons?

I played a Ping G SFT for the last few years. My usual shot was a fade with it. I’m playing the SZ Xtreme Tour Length with a Helium 5 Black Reg. Shaft as part of my Morgan Cup bag this year. My usual drive (drumroll please) is a fade. So far, it has performed quite similar to the Ping G SFT.

Oh, it’s not bad. Not like Flash SZ or Flash last year, imo, but it’s also just not as F9 as I think I wish it was. Flight was good though, hit it all day, 9 with Kinetixx and 9 with LINQ Gunmetal

I definitely agree that the SpeedZone is louder than the F9 was. I am not sure about the Xtreme.

Last edited:
Been saying that for weeks. I loved the F9 sound...not as big of fan of the SZ sound but if it hits bombs I can deal with it haha

Do you have enough time into the SZ to be able to determine which head performs better for you?

Played 18 with the league today and used my SZ and I will state I really like this driver. It has a home in my bag. Nice sound and the only thing I need to do is dial it in as far as direction is concerned, but I had that issue with the F9. That is a user issue :cool:

Going to take the monitor with me to the course tomorrow, so, we will see exactly what the SZ and Xtreme are pumping out for me. I know speeds will be down, but that’s me still babying my driver swing instead of just ripping it.

Another good day with the SZ/Ventus combo. I don't disagree on the sound, but I don't think it bothers all that much.
As long as I keep hitting fairways with the distances I'm getting, it doesn't bother me at all. :p

Played the SZ for the first time today. Not the club's fault but it was UGLY. First of all, it's playing at standard length (my previous driver was at -1.00) so it feels like a telephone pole. But it also came with a jumbo grip. Not ideal for my teenage girl sized hands. With the length and the grip size I could not turn this thing over to save my life.

I'll change the grip first (it's a shame because it came with the ARCCOS sensor) and decide what I want to do with the length. I do actually like the shaft profile (Tensei Blue AV) so I'm not sure I want to mess with it just yet. I really like the sound of it and thank goodness for the Infinity face. Taking this out for the first time and adjusting to the length I would have skymarked my brand new club if it would have been any other brand.

To be continued..................

Driver was working well for me today. One I pulled left a bit but the other 5 times I used it the results were excellent. I had some of my best drives today with the extreme on the course we played. Zero hesitation to pull driver and let it rip!

Another round under the belt with the Xtreme again last night and things are still looking good.

Firstly, this driver looks incredible. I've always been a huge fan of the matte black finish on clubs, and this just looks mean especially with the infinity face wrapping over. I don;t have enough nice things to say visually. It seems to set up a bit open to my eye, but that is likely just me squinting at it because there is no fade bias here at all in my experience. I have always been a power fader of the ball (OK, OK...a slicer) even with the most offset of drivers. But other than the occasional one that I open my shoulders and put a terrible swing on it, the slice is for the most part gone. At worst, there is a slight cut that is still playable, but I've yet to hit a big looping slice with it. Shouldn't have said that I know...

Misses for the most part have been a push to the right, which is definitely on me and not the club, in fact on mishits this thing just wants to go and go. Without a doubt the most forgiving driver I've ever hit and it's not even close. Have only played a couple of rounds with it so far, but fairways are now almost expected as opposed to just hoped for.

Only a couple of slight niggles, and I say 'slight' because they're not even major issues. Firstly the sound....I'm just not feeling it as of yet. I think probably it's a case of familiarity and I've just not had enough rounds under my belt for it to become just part of the club for me. As others have said here it just sounds 'hard' for want of a better word, which I'm not sure I'm a fan of just yet. But this is of course completely subjective, and as many others absolutely love it. Doesn't make any difference to me at all in my enjoyment of the club, just an observation.

The second thing is that I am consistently 15-20 yards shorter with this club than my Epic Flash SZ for some reason. Even when I absolutely crush the Xtreme I seem to be just behind a bunker I used to fly, or taking a 7 into the green where it used to be a 9. However, I am putting this down 100% to the fact that I've had almost zero range time with it and only 2 full rounds, so I would never be comparing apples with apples here. However, given the number of fairways I'm hitting now, it's a no brainer!

Back