Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

Going to take the monitor with me to the course tomorrow, so, we will see exactly what the SZ and Xtreme are pumping out for me. I know speeds will be down, but that’s me still babying my driver swing instead of just ripping it.
Were you able to get out with the monitor and see what you have with those shafts or did I miss it?

I have to admit the sound...its growing on me, less annoying and loud and more powerful. Maybe I'm just used to it, maybe its because I'm hitting it better not sure but I hit this quite a few times last night and hit some bombs, multiple in the 280's and a few even creeped into the 290's. I'm starting to understand the forgiveness of this driver more too. Where it really shines is toe side. I look at the face after every swing to see where I made contact and a few that stayed perfectly straight where more towards the toe than center. That is mind blowing! Most of the time toe side means big hooks but the Xtreme seems to help with that quite a bit.

Also...update on the shaft situation. I have a matching Cobra Connect grip on the way which will be nice because I don't think I'm going back to the TL Rogue. The longer shaft no longer feels too long and my THCE looks fantastic with the head plus it just seems to be working now that I have hopefully corrected my alignment issues. According to Arccos I'm averaging about 4 yds further but most importantly I'm more accurate as well.

THCE shaft
1CA0BDD0-2011-41FC-ABF3-48348A689B46.png

TL Rogue
A6C26159-8F75-4258-8C4F-5C5C366D1F37.png

Last edited:
Were you able to get out with the monitor and see what you have with those shafts or did I miss it?
Some, but the sample wasn’t great and I was still holding back so speeds aren’t where they should be. Going to give it another go this week as the heat is going to crank up and the course will be empty.

I know this, the SZ sounds way better than the Xtreme to me, the X had some unexpected hollow to it for me, which is fixable with hot melt but I’m not sure if I want to go that route yet. The SZ with the heavy forward and LINQ gunmetal seems to have brought the spin down finally sub 3k, but I need a bigger sample size to be sure.

The short session I did early this week gave these averages for the SZ and X:

SZ 10.5 heavy forward: 157.1, 11.9, 2811, 34y, 260 carry

X 9.5 16g back: 156.6, 12.5, 2849, 36y, 259 carry

Comparatively, my gamer was 157.3, 12.7, 2543, 36y, 269 carry.

Spin is a battle here for me, and has been the last couple years with the Cobra drivers. Part of me wants to give up, the addict in me wants to tweak some more though. If I could get either sub 2600 consistently, then it would get interesting. Sure, user is part of the whole thing, of course, but the ease of my gamer has been pretty hard for me to replicate let alone beat.

it Is compared to OH. Lol
3/4 of my Annual rounds start in 30* weather and maybe get into the 50’s by 9am when I’m usually finishing up.
Not to mention soggy ground. I play down south usually once A year and I seem to gain at least 20 yds off the tee just due to firm and warmer conditions. Out west in the elevation I couldn’t even imagine. Heck even coach herm Edwards was hitting them 300 on driver vs driver with his 84 mph swing.

I hit some drives over 300, but not many, and I guarantee you my swing speed is much higher than 84 mph. Light hearted banter aside, add about 7% to sea level distance and you have a pretty good estimate of how far you will hit it in the high desert air of Utah, at least in the SLC and higher St. George areas.

Last edited:

Had another 18 today, still shaking off a bit of the rustiness. I'd mentioned in my previous couple of posts that I couldn't shake the feeling that I was a fair bit shorter with the Xtreme than my current driver (Epic Flash SZ set at 10.5 with stiff Mitsubishi Chemical C6 60g playing 1" short) I took the EF out with me today to see if it was just my imagination and seems not. The best example is below - first photo with the Cobra, and second with the EF. When I played on Sunday afternoon I hit the SZ about as well as I could, and it hit the fairway just before the bunker and ran in - total of 231. Today it comfortably carried the bunker on an almost identical line and out to 279. Was also about 15 degrees colder today, and the fairways were soggy with very little roll. For what it's worth, this was about the same for the rest of the round.

View attachment 8947274View attachment 8947275

For reference, I'm playing the Xtreme at tour length, 12 degree standard with the Hzrdus Smoke yellow in stiff and 6g weight at the back, which is what I was fit into.

Ball flights between the two are almost identical, and I would say that the Cobra is quite a good amount better in terms of flat out forgiveness and 'point and shoot' fairway finding, and I absolutely love the way that it looks and feels, just can't figure out where the distance has gone! Arccos is showing 25 yards more 'smart distance' with the EF.

Am thinking of switching the tips and trying the Chemical shaft in the Cobra, or perhaps taking it down to 10.5 to see if that will make any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas what else I can do?

The first guess is spin. You may be getting too much spin with the Xtreme head. The first and easiest fix would be to move the heavier weight to the front.

I have to admit the sound...its growing on me, less annoying and loud and more powerful. Maybe I'm just used to it, maybe its because I'm hitting it better not sure but I hit this quite a few times last night and hit some bombs, multiple in the 280's and a few even creeped into the 290's. I'm starting to understand the forgiveness of this driver more too. Where it really shines is toe side. I look at the face after every swing to see where I made contact and a few that stayed perfectly straight where more towards the toe than center. That is mind blowing! Most of the time toe side means big hooks but the Xtreme seems to help with that quite a bit.

Also...update on the shaft situation. I have a matching Cobra Connect grip on the way which will be nice because I don't think I'm going back to the TL Rogue. The longer shaft no longer feels too long and my THCE looks fantastic with the head plus it just seems to be working now that I have hopefully corrected my alignment issues. According to Arccos I'm averaging about 4 yds further but most importantly I'm more accurate as well.

THCE shaft
View attachment 8947567

TL Rogue
View attachment 8947568

You are pushing it out there ( and I am not referring to the right miss). Very good distances. Is the right miss a failure to release the club?

You are pushing it out there ( and I am not referring to the right miss). Very good distances. Is the right miss a failure to release the club?
There are a few of those for sure but when I switched to the longer shaft my alignment got out of whack. I am expecting that number to drop. Yesterday anything right was not more than 10 yds off the fairway.

There are a few of those for sure but when I switched to the longer shaft my alignment got out of whack. I am expecting that number to drop. Yesterday anything right was not more than 10 yds off the fairway.

It is looking really good. You will be formidable at the MC this year.

It is looking really good. You will be formidable at the MC this year.
Thanks. I will keep updating as I go on obviously. I hope to just be able to compete :)

Today was much better with the driver- had struggled mightily for the better part of two weeks with the big stick and today seemed to work itself out a bit. Played my home course so was able to get out early and hit a couple balls ahead of the round.

Hit 8/12 fairways today, bringing me up to right at 52% fairways hit for the year. My distance overall for the year is down, but that is 100% because of my swing and a couple really bad swings from last round where absolutely nothing was working. Will get a couple screen shots posted here shortly.

The first guess is spin. You may be getting too much spin with the Xtreme head. The first and easiest fix would be to move the heavier weight to the front.
You could be right there. Sadly the Xtreme only has the one movable weight, but I think we've figured it out - shout out to @Bernoulli for spotting it. I'm in Tour Length which should have a 14g weight in the back and mine shipped with only 6g which apparently will make a huge difference. I spoke to Cobra and they are sending out a new weight this morning so fingers crossed.

Have to say, absolutely top marks to Cobra's customer service, they genuinely can't do enough to help their customers and answer any queries, brilliant service.

Some, but the sample wasn’t great and I was still holding back so speeds aren’t where they should be. Going to give it another go this week as the heat is going to crank up and the course will be empty.

I know this, the SZ sounds way better than the Xtreme to me, the X had some unexpected hollow to it for me, which is fixable with hot melt but I’m not sure if I want to go that route yet. The SZ with the heavy forward and LINQ gunmetal seems to have brought the spin down finally sub 3k, but I need a bigger sample size to be sure.

The short session I did early this week gave these averages for the SZ and X:

SZ 10.5 heavy forward: 157.1, 11.9, 2811, 34y, 260 carry

X 9.5 16g back: 156.6, 12.5, 2849, 36y, 259 carry

Comparatively, my gamer was 157.3, 12.7, 2543, 36y, 269 carry.

Spin is a battle here for me, and has been the last couple years with the Cobra drivers. Part of me wants to give up, the addict in me wants to tweak some more though. If I could get either sub 2600 consistently, then it would get interesting. Sure, user is part of the whole thing, of course, but the ease of my gamer has been pretty hard for me to replicate let alone beat.

F8, F8+, F9 all were awful for me when I tried them. I dont think I ever got one of those under 3200rpm. Standard SZ this year was the same while testing

I haven't gotten it on a monitor since initial tests in February, but id guess the Xtreme is giving me around 2400-2500 or so. With that spin its always probably why it is much more controllable for me. Im used to M3-M5 giving me 1900-2200 but also getting wild sometimes

You could be right there. Sadly the Xtreme only has the one movable weight, but I think we've figured it out - shout out to @Bernoulli for spotting it. I'm in Tour Length which should have a 14g weight in the back and mine shipped with only 6g which apparently will make a huge difference. I spoke to Cobra and they are sending out a new weight this morning so fingers crossed.

Have to say, absolutely top marks to Cobra's customer service, they genuinely can't do enough to help their customers and answer any queries, brilliant service.

Happy to be of assistance to a fellow THPer and a fellow member of Team Hackers.

I'm still waiting on the new Xtreme head to ship. It has been about 14 days since the order, so hope to have it by mid-June.

Hit some good drives today but a few clunkers as well. My miss continues to be right and Its all me. On one hand I've eliminated one side of the course but on the other its frustrating. Most misses weren't too bad today though. Arccos shows it missed right but when it runs through a fairway on a dog leg left its not all bad. I don't know if a different shaft would change that at all since I'm almost certain its me not releasing the club or my alignment in most cases. Considering trying something for fun though now that I have few rounds under my belt with both shafts I currently have.

I just dropped a 14g weight in my extreme on Friday. The results have been absolutely fantastic. Center face shots are incredible and it muted the sound just a bit i feel.

Just did a quick analysis on my last round on Saturday. Average was 278 which inluddes a 246 yrd drive that tipped off a tree when I putt a bad swing on it and sliced it right and the long one of the day at 294 yards. If I take the tree hit out, average runs at 281. Was making really solid contact near face or slightly toe side high on the face the entire round which helped keep the distance up. Ground was still a little soft but dryer than its been all season so that helped add a bit of roll.

I'm still waiting on the new Xtreme head to ship. It has been about 14 days since the order, so hope to have it by mid-June.

12 days since I ordered. First time I called they quoted me 3 weeks. Called last week and they said they were through custom orders placed through 5/25. He figured mine would build this week. My order still doesn’t show on the cobra site under my account. Which the customer service agent still claims it went through.

Hit some good drives today but a few clunkers as well. My miss continues to be right and Its all me. On one hand I've eliminated one side of the course but on the other its frustrating. Most misses weren't too bad today though. Arccos shows it missed right but when it runs through a fairway on a dog leg left its not all bad. I don't know if a different shaft would change that at all since I'm almost certain its me not releasing the club or my alignment in most cases. Considering trying something for fun though now that I have few rounds under my belt with both shafts I currently have.
My miss is probably right 90% of the time with the Xtreme also.. part of it I think is the shaft I have in it but its not a bad thing. Im hitting way more fairways overall. Even with the miss being right its not a slice, more of a block to the right that stays straight with no curve

My miss is probably right 90% of the time with the Xtreme also.. part of it I think is the shaft I have in it but its not a bad thing. Im hitting way more fairways overall. Even with the miss being right its not a slice, more of a block to the right that stays straight with no curve
I've seen some of that too and then I see the push fade which is all me. Overall I think I made the right choice with the Xtreme. I'm seeing a high ball flight even at 9* which is not a bad thing. I think my current shaft is still a good fit but not sure I shouldn't try something else or even go back to the TL. One more round and I should have an equal number of shots with the 2 shafts for a pretty good comparison.

I've seen some of that too and then I see the push fade which is all me. Overall I think I made the right choice with the Xtreme. I'm seeing a high ball flight even at 9* which is not a bad thing. I think my current shaft is still a good fit but not sure I shouldn't try something else or even go back to the TL. One more round and I should have an equal number of shots with the 2 shafts for a pretty good comparison.

ive got 3 strips of lead tape heel side and close to the face. seems to help also with minimizing the right miss

ive got 3 strips of lead tape heel side and close to the face. seems to help also with minimizing the right miss
I'm not there yet because when I get through it its perfect. If I mess with that I'm afraid I could create the dreaded 2 way miss. However if I do decide to go that route, I might have to have some hot melt done. That might even change the sound to something a little more pleasing to the ear.

I'm not there yet because when I get through it its perfect. If I mess with that I'm afraid I could create the dreaded 2 way miss. However if I do decide to go that route, I might have to have some hot melt done. That might even change the sound to something a little more pleasing to the ear.
ive never done hot melt but have always been curious. this is the first driver im extremely tempted to try it out on solely bc of the sound.... im just nervous bc overall this performs so well for me that I dont wanna mess something up permanently

I just dropped a 14g weight in my extreme on Friday. The results have been absolutely fantastic. Center face shots are incredible and it muted the sound just a bit i feel.
I'm hoping so, and have complete faith. Knew there had to be something a bit off, and if it mutes the sound a wee bit then that would not displease me :LOL:

Back