Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

Tenputt

Albatross 2020 Club Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 2.3
I’m so confused. Today was really good day with driver. I played 27 holes today most of which were with the Tour B X. Granted there was some roll out there today as we haven’t had rain in over a week. I switched to a Chrome Soft X TT after 17 holes in frustration for poor wedge shots and missed putts.

Anyhow after the switch I didn’t hit a drive under 280 and what was really mind boggling was almost all we’re dead straight or a baby draw. Not sure if I had It grooved or if the ball made that big of difference but even impressed myself haha
I am willing to bet that your swing fell into a great groove.

H8tobogie

MC Team Hackers 2020
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Picked up the pars and stripes Speedzone to compare against my Xtreme. At GG I got to hit both on Trackman and both drivers shined where they’re supposed to. Xtreme was more accurate and more consistent. Speedzone with weights forward routinely had a lower launch and spin in the low 2000s.... ball speed were exactly the same!!

SZ has the Ventus Blue and my Xtreme has a Ventus Black. I think both combos are absolutely perfect. The Black in the standard Speedzone launched too low

after the indoor trackman sessions i went
straight to the driving range. Biggest difference immediately was how different the sounds are between the 2. The Xtreme is much louder.

Also I was shocked to see how controllable and accurate the regular Speedzone was outside. Back in February I was spraying the ball all over and spinning very high with regular Speedzone which is why I went with the Xtreme. Next round I’ll put the SZ in play and see how it goes
I need to see some pics of that thing with the Ventus Blue. 🔥🔥🔥

jfrigo1003

#TeamParadise2020
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I can't believe I'm going to say this because I despise Cobra - but I hit the SZ Xtreme and I freaking liked it. Really like how it sets up at address with the face milling wrapping onto the crown a little.
Ive never despised Cobra but I have always been the biggest TaylorMade fan. I have played practically every driver and fairway they release every year... even this year I already had a sim Max driver and sim 3w

once I hit the Xtreme I was 100% sold on it being the driver for me this year. on course it’s been the most accurate and controllable driver I’ve ever played. What has been the most surprising is the ball speed I’ve gotten from it and spin staying pretty low

Tenputt

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 2.3
I can't believe I'm going to say this because I despise Cobra - but I hit the SZ Xtreme and I freaking liked it. Really like how it sets up at address with the face milling wrapping onto the crown a little.
Why such strong feelings about Cobra?

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I’m so confused. Today was really good day with driver. I played 27 holes today most of which were with the Tour B X. Granted there was some roll out there today as we haven’t had rain in over a week. I switched to a Chrome Soft X TT after 17 holes in frustration for poor wedge shots and missed putts.

Anyhow after the switch I didn’t hit a drive under 280 and what was really mind boggling was almost all we’re dead straight or a baby draw. Not sure if I had It grooved or if the ball made that big of difference but even impressed myself haha
People under estimate a ball change off the tee so much. Low compression reduces spin and minor misses can become more playable.

Tenputt

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 2.3
People under estimate a ball change off the tee so much. Low compression reduces spin and minor misses can become more playable.
But wouldn’t the ChomeSoft X be higher spin than the Bridgestone B X?

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Ive never despised Cobra but I have always been the biggest TaylorMade fan. I have played practically every driver and fairway they release every year... even this year I already had a sim Max driver and sim 3w

once I hit the Xtreme I was 100% sold on it being the driver for me this year. on course it’s been the most accurate and controllable driver I’ve ever played. What has been the most surprising is the ball speed I’ve gotten from it and spin staying pretty low
I know I mentioned it previously but if you were a fan of TaylorMade clubs previously it makes sense that one would be a fan of Cobra clubs now. Their head of industrial design left and went to Callaway. Their head of R&D left and went to Cobra. Their product design manager left and went to Cobra. Iron designer is at Titleist .

Lots of changes in golf, so barring someone just being in love with a logo, it would make sense.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score

jfrigo1003

#TeamParadise2020
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I know I mentioned it previously but if you were a fan of TaylorMade clubs previously it makes sense that one would be a fan of Cobra clubs now. Their head of industrial design left and went to Callaway. Their head of R&D left and went to Cobra. Their product design manager left and went to Cobra. Iron designer is at Titleist .

Lots of changes in golf, so barring someone just being in love with a logo, it would make sense.
And Jose came from TaylorMade so that’s why i like cobra now too!

ArmyGolf

#Rise&Grind
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 9.3
Why such strong feelings about Cobra?
No need to derail this thread, but I've had major customer service issues with them in the past. Swore I'd never spend another penny on their stuff and have so far kept my word.

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score

jdtox

Team Paradise Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Having played a few different balls this season and actually paying attention to the flight and stats (thanks Cobra Connect) I have been noticing the differences and most of them seem to be tee related though with one in particular I've seem some iron distances jump as well.
But wouldn’t the ChomeSoft X be higher spin than the Bridgestone B X?
That was my thought too, felt harder but its funny the people I was playing with immediately commented on the sound being different as well...in a good way. Like you said I probably had the driver grooved yesterday but it was fun to watch myself. One of those days you think to yourself...why can't I do this every time? Haha

Jman

Golfing Equipment Reviewer
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Having played a few different balls this season and actually paying attention to the flight and stats (thanks Cobra Connect) I have been noticing the differences and most of them seem to be tee related though with one in particular I've seem some iron distances jump as well.

That was my thought too, felt harder but its funny the people I was playing with immediately commented on the sound being different as well...in a good way. Like you said I probably had the driver grooved yesterday but it was fun to watch myself. One of those days you think to yourself...why can't I do this every time? Haha
Because the golf gods smite us. :p

You’ve clearly found something, run with it, and those Arccos numbers will have me hitting second shots first a LOT when we finally get a round in! 🔥🔥🔥🔥

jdtox

Team Paradise Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Because the golf gods smite us. :p

You’ve clearly found something, run with it, and those Arccos numbers will have me hitting second shots first a LOT when we finally get a round in! 🔥🔥🔥🔥
They do don't they! Haha I doubt that very much. 90 degrees, a bunch of humidity and very hard fairways played a role as well but this game giveth and taketh away. The rest of my game was a dumpster fire yesterday. If only it would ever all come together at once :D

ArmyGolf

#Rise&Grind
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 9.3

Finding something that works is what it's all about.

I think Cobra is doing a lot of good here. I love the option for a properly weighted "Tour Length" driver, and 2 (now 3) color options is great.

Jman

Golfing Equipment Reviewer
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
They do don't they! Haha I doubt that very much. 90 degrees, a bunch of humidity and very hard fairways played a role as well but this game giveth and taketh away. The rest of my game was a dumpster fire yesterday. If only it would ever all come together at once :D
Hahaha, ah yes, those fleeting days where we feel like we actually aren’t terrible at this game! I live for those! :ROFLMAO:

ArmyGolf

#Rise&Grind
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 9.3
Finding something that works is what it's all about.

I think Cobra is doing a lot of good here. I love the option for a properly weighted "Tour Length" driver, and 2 (now 3) color options is great.
And I want to add that being $100-$150 CAD cheaper than the other options on the market doesn't hurt either.

th6252

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
First round out with my extreme today in a mini outing. My setup is 10.5 with stock tensor av blue in stiff tour length. I can definitely say the head is very forgiving, the problem was I was spraying the ball all over the place and overall distance was slightly shorter than my G400 with tour 65(which I swap out for the stock alta cb when my swing is feeling weak or off). But honestly, I didn’t find it considerably more forgiving than my G400 the first go around. Gotta give it some more workouts this and next week to determine whether I keep it or not.

Canadan

You Are Great
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
+
Huge, huge fan of how the Speedzone plays with the Rogue silver in it. Really glad I swapped it in for today's round, and saw some excellent flight and shape.

Still battling the fade a bit - thinking this thing has a bit of a bias and wondering if throwing a tiny bit of weight on the heel side can settle that down... or just, you know, learn to play that shot shape hahahaha

Johan185

SoCal, KiteSurfer, Golf Enthusiasts
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Huge, huge fan of how the Speedzone plays with the Rogue silver in it. Really glad I swapped it in for today's round, and saw some excellent flight and shape.

Still battling the fade a bit - thinking this thing has a bit of a bias and wondering if throwing a tiny bit of weight on the heel side can settle that down... or just, you know, learn to play that shot shape hahahaha
The fade bias is noticeable regardless of the weight configuration.

It's a plus if you can live with hitting a power fade or straight push, both down the middle of the fairway and totally eliminating the hook and left side of the fairway.

BTW you can still hit a draw, it just requires closing the face shut and aiming to the right. :drinks:

Canadan

You Are Great
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
+
The fade bias is noticeable regardless of the weight configuration.

It's a plus if you can live with hitting a power fade or straight push, both down the middle of the fairway and totally eliminating the hook and left side of the fairway.

BTW you can still hit a draw, it just requires closing the face shut and aiming to the right. :drinks:
Yeah, I tried to do that a bit and just hit pulls. I think I'm at my best with a 10 yard fade off the line, it's just not the shape I'm used to watching!

vdubtx

MC Team Paradise 2020
Reaction score
Handicap
May be something about a change of scenery, but I had a much better day with driver today in Oklahoma playing with my #TeamParadise teammate @MarMill8412.

While I have been working on correcting a slight right side miss, I was hitting some to the left with a nice fade right back into middle of fairway today. Even a few perfectly straight ones which I hadn't seen too often. Improvement is certainly progressing.

MarMill8412

#Paradise2020
Reaction score
Handicap
8-9
May be something about a change of scenery, but I had a much better day with driver today in Oklahoma playing with my #TeamParadise teammate @MarMill8412.

While I have been working on correcting a slight right side miss, I was hitting some to the left with a nice fade right back into middle of fairway today. Even a few perfectly straight ones which I hadn't seen too often. Improvement is certainly progressing.
It was a pleasure playing today. SZ was going a little right today. More the swing than anything. Did have one or two good ones!

oumagic

Team Paradise 2020
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 10.0
I only hit the driver 4 times today and was hitting straight pulls. That was something new and I need to work that out. But this driver is really good for me when I put a halfway decent swing on it
EDE963A0-3B31-4FE0-895A-EB6471D13761.png

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in