Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

Going to a driver fitting tomorrow and the SZ Xtreme is at the top of my list to try out.

I currently game a F8, and although I will find out tomorrow, curious what people’s opinions might be on whether the SZ Xtreme would likely be a worthy upgrade over the F8.

Played again last night and just starting to come round to hitting the driver well. I've been suffering with the rights quite a lot, and I think it puts me off a little that the Xtreme seems to sit quite open to my eye. I'm not sure if anyone else agrees, but it does seem to sit quite open, and feels a wee bit fade biased to me. A quick grip changed and I started playing for the fade a lot more, and apart from a couple of big high rights it worked out for me well. Distance is starting to come back for me as well, I think the lesson here is that the driver is designed to be hit hard, and the harder I go after it, the straighter it seems to be. Is a funny ole game.

I might be an anomaly, but the xtreme is one of the lowest launching and spinning heads I've ever used. Now, I do have it paired with a 6.5 hzrdus green tipped 3/4", but this thing is an absolute beast and forgiving. I had it built to play at 8* thinking it was gonna be high launch, but I ended up turning it up to 10. I have never in my life played a driver above 9*.

This replaced a G410 LST playing at 9* with a 60G velocore black x-stiff. I never had them head to head on a monitor, but the eye test has the xtreme launching slightly higher, but flatter and with lower spin. I'm hitting nice high windows with it, but the ball hits and rolls. The peak height makes you think it's gonna hit and plug, but it just hits and releases, so you can tell it's really flat. I'm just beyond impressed. The nice thing is my trajectory window seems to be a lot more forgiving as well. With the Ping I could hit it good a few holes, but the peak height would look different. With the Cobra, it's a very similar flight. Just goes to show how forgiving this thing is.

Like I said before, the shaft is playing a role, but being able to set this up on 10 and hit a nice flat mid/high ball with low spin is just amazing.

Last edited:
Traded my Sim for a Speedzone tour length 9° with a 65g Hzrdus yellow to compare against my Mavrik Subzero and let me tell you... Speedzone wins.
Sim (9° +1uprght stiff diamana shaft) had me pushing/fading/slicing but had major distance on perfect hits.
Mavrik SZ ( 9° - +1D stiff riptide shaft) seemed very sensitive to hit location and was the most punishing of the three. Also had a hook problem with this one.
SZ (9° +1.0d x Hzrdus yellow smoke)...well... I either hit it dead straight or dead straight. I had three hits where I tried to give it all I had and sliced the living hell out of it but otherwise, on controlled hits, the dispersion was as tight as I've ever seen. And the length had me finding the middle of the face everytime. Granted it was up and down the middle but on my worst shots I was still getting at least 260 out of them. Wasn't getting the distance of the Sim however but in play wins everytime

Played again last night and just starting to come round to hitting the driver well. I've been suffering with the rights quite a lot, and I think it puts me off a little that the Xtreme seems to sit quite open to my eye. I'm not sure if anyone else agrees, but it does seem to sit quite open, and feels a wee bit fade biased to me. A quick grip changed and I started playing for the fade a lot more, and apart from a couple of big high rights it worked out for me well. Distance is starting to come back for me as well, I think the lesson here is that the driver is designed to be hit hard, and the harder I go after it, the straighter it seems to be. Is a funny ole game.

I'd bet that the Camo driver isn't fade biased. ;) Just sayin!

Looking forward to trying out my Xtreme this weekend playing at 9.5 just like my F9 was

Started swinging really hard with the Xtreme in my last round and I started hitting fades, I wonder if it's the regular shaft or me just being wild haha.

Still enjoying the setup so much, I haven't even changed the lofts.

I might be an anomaly, but the xtreme is one of the lowest launching and spinning heads I've ever used. Now, I do have it paired with a 6.5 hzrdus green tipped 3/4", but this thing is an absolute beast and forgiving. I had it built to play at 8* thinking it was gonna be high launch, but I ended up turning it up to 10. I have never in my life played a driver above 9*.

This replaced a G410 LST playing at 9* with a 60G velocore black x-stiff. I never had them head to head on a monitor, but the eye test has the xtreme launching slightly higher, but flatter and with lower spin. I'm hitting nice high windows with it, but the ball hits and rolls. The peak height makes you think it's gonna hit and plug, but it just hits and releases, so you can tell it's really flat. I'm just beyond impressed. The nice thing is my trajectory window seems to be a lot more forgiving as well. With the Ping I could hit it good a few holes, but the peak height would look different. With the Cobra, it's a very similar flight. Just goes to show how forgiving this thing is.

Like I said before, the shaft is playing a role, but being able to set this up on 10 and hit a nice flat mid/high ball with low spin is just amazing.

Also, my Dad is looking for one as well because it's working so good for me. If anyone has a 9* xtreme head that didn't work out for them, shoot me a PM.
I was about to say I think you are crazy with the launch and spin comment then I saw your shaft setup haha, you must swing HARD

I put a decent move on it, but pretty aggressive from the top.

Just pulled the trigger on a SZ Xtreme, 10.5, UST Helium 5 shaft, standard length, black/yellow head. I went to my driver fitting and tested my F8 against the Mavrik Max, Ping G410 Plus and the SZ Xtreme, and I just felt better with the Xtreme. I had better swings, better contact, and overall just felt more comfortable with the Xtreme.

Testing it out on the course Thursday (assuming the weather holds up) and I can't wait!

Midway through my season and think it's time that I put together some thoughts on the SZ that I was given the opportunity to test and use this season thanks to the Morgan Cup.

Brief history of the driver for me- came from the F9 last year- some stats from GG- 43% of fairways hit, average distance 234yds with my long of 309. 30% of my misses last year were right, which is my miss for certain.

For the standard SZ this year, I'm playing with a HZRDUS Smoke Yellow that I was fitted for by CC prior to equipment orders. Currently Arccos shows my driving handicap of 13.1 and here are the stats for the year thus far:

View attachment 8956754

So similar FIR% to last year, but more right misses. I've mentioned it earlier here, that I've started to play for the fade on every hole and have seen success over the last few rounds, so hope to improve that FIR %. The significant improvement though comes in the form of distance. 18 yard increase year over year on average. Now I will clarify, that I was NOT fit for the F9- so there's that caveat that needs to be stated.

From a sound perspective, I don't notice too many differences between the F9 and the SZ- and can say that I do like the sound.

I've mentioned before that it's taken a bit of time to get used to the right bias that I've noticed with the club. Now that I'm used to it, and can start playing towards that shot shape I think I'll be able to see an improvement in fairways hit for the rest of the season.
Your driving is very much like mine except you hit it a bit farther than I do. My numbers are with the F9 and the SZ and I did not see a lot of difference. My drives are not much more right than left, but I don't feel I am in the fairway enough. Although the course I play will have adjoining fairways on a number of holes so not such a big deal.

I see right bias mentioned often, but I never noticed a right bias with these any more than any other driver I have used. For me it is stabilization in the driver swing that I need. I can hit the ball nicely, but I am too dispersed from side to side. I could probably work with 10-20 yards, but sometimes it is more than that.

I have noticed that my driver swing is not consistent enough and at this point, I am still trying to locate the area of weakness. Once I do that I can focus on resolving it and making something repeatable. I have some games where I struggle and other games where I can hit well over 70% fairways.

Just way too erratic with the driver, but the Cobra SZ was the best choice I could have made. I was fit for a different driver, but I simply don't hit the other driver as well as the Cobra SZ.
1597230777836.png

Week off - hot garbage this am, (snap hooks) but wasn’t losing too much distance around 200 yards so forgiveness is still there

I'm looking forward to the 9* Speedzone Tour Length with the Tensei AV Blue 65 shaft that should be coming my way in the near future.

I've had a 10.5* F9 Tour Length with the Helium 5F4 in play for the last couple months. I've turned it down to 9*, and while I generally like the ball flight from it, it still launches a little higher than I'd like at times. The Tour Length shaft has helped me find the center of the face more than I was with my Fly-Z+, but it has been a few yards shorter so far (granted, I have not yet gotten to play the F9 when our fairways are rock hard). I will put this shaft in the 9* head sometime, too, for fun.

Got to try out my new SZ Xtreme today during a round of 18...and wow. Just wow. Don’t have much in terms of exact data, but this is what I can say - today I hit the ball farther and straighter then ever before. Even when I hit balls off center on the face, they went far and straight. It looks great, felt great, and performed great.

Love this driver!:)

I pulled the Ventus Black from the Xtreme today to test the Smoke Green in it at tour length. I kept the 10g weight in the back hoping the heavier shaft would somewhat offset the shorter length. Maybe it was just today, but this seemed like a great combo... anyway, I am teeing it up here with @Jmk202 tomorrow and plan to give this setup a spin and see what kind of control/distance I see from it.

I pulled the Ventus Black from the Xtreme today to test the Smoke Green in it at tour length. I kept the 10g weight in the back hoping the heavier shaft would somewhat offset the shorter length. Maybe it was just today, but this seemed like a great combo... anyway, I am teeing it up here with @Jmk202 tomorrow and plan to give this setup a spin and see what kind of control/distance I see from it.
Can’t wait to give that set up a few swings!

I really think finding the right shaft/weight combo for the Xtreme is key. Why can't we leave things alone? Because we are internet golfers haha!

I honestly never thought I would move away from my THCE shaft but I have been enjoying this setup quite a bit and maybe at some point I'll throw it back in to see but not right now. The internet golfer in me is curious what the numbers are but at this point it doesn't really matter I guess. One of the reasons I wanted to try the Xtreme was that it only had 1 weight and the hosel settings, less things to think about and/or mess with. I haven't touched the settings in 3 weeks and no plans to :oops:

I really think finding the right shaft/weight combo for the Xtreme is key. Why can't we leave things alone? Because we are internet golfers haha!

I honestly never thought I would move away from my THCE shaft but I have been enjoying this setup quite a bit and maybe at some point I'll throw it back in to see but not right now. The internet golfer in me is curious what the numbers are but at this point it doesn't really matter I guess. One of the reasons I wanted to try the Xtreme was that it only had 1 weight and the hosel settings, less things to think about and/or mess with. I haven't touched the settings in 3 weeks and no plans to :oops:
Only once have I swapped shafts in my Xtreme and I have not touched the loft settings - most of my struggles have been swing related, but I believe we’ve turned a corner

Hit the Xtreme very well in my last couple of rounds. In addition to being very accurate, I finally started to realize some good distance. It has been a very good driver this season.

Back