Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

it’s not a gamer. i’ve just hit it a handful of times expecting to really like it and came away surprised (not in a good way).
I had the same initial impression with the Xtreme. High and short. Hitting one the other day with a ventus black in it was much lower and more manageable. Though that shaft itself had a weird feeling for me, the ball flight and distance was closer to what I would like.

Any experience with the 18g in the Xtreme? That's what I play, and am curious how many yards I would gain with the the standard SZ with the 18g up front. Would like to pick up a head to try it.
Unfortunately no, I have never hit the Xtreme.

@oumagic has hit them both. He may be able to give you some insight.

I have 302 shots with this in the bag.

I like it, I really do - hit some monster drives while maintaining great control.

But there is something and I can’t put my finger on it, that doesn’t instill the same confidence as the F9 for me.

EC0EBBB6-F10E-4DCB-AD65-C01760877ABB.png7AEC8164-129C-43EB-9F73-25048C67BFC5.png

I think that my Xreme and I have finally clicked. Is like those people that initially you're not sure about and don't really get along with, but then you sit up until 3am one morning drinking and having a boozy heart to heart with and then wake up next morning lifelong buddies. Had one of my best ever driving days on the course last night and the confidence stood on the tee was something that I've not had for a long time. This isn't the longest driver for me, but I would rather be in the fairway than OOB right. Was swinging out of my boots and it just worked. Ball flight was unbelievably high, so most of the distance is carry given the soggy conditions over here. I. Love. This. Driver.

Driver1.pngDriver2.png§§§

So, I feel like I am as settled as I can be on my driver setup for the MC. I am sticking with the Xtreme, Ventus Black at 45", and standard loft at 9*. I think the only way I could enhance this would be to add a little hot melt close to the face to help with sound and perhaps cut just a little spin, but things are too dialed for now to experiment. Perhaps post MC?

This is not the longest driver I have gamed, but it may very well be the most consistent. In my past three rounds I have hit 21/30 fariways, one OB, and the remainder have been very playable, which makes the game so much more fun!

Still messing around with drivers a lot at the moment. Putting the SZX back in. I also got another weight for it to try changing headweight around.

I just haven't felt comfortable with driver or that hybrid spot for awhile right now.

Hit about 15 balls vs Titleist S3,in a fitting and sadly Cobra 7 -10 yards shorter and SS down at least 2-3 mph and worst dispersion. Major disappointment overall as despite decent look behind balls- also not great feel or sound vs the much more traditional Titleist.

Hit about 15 balls vs Titleist S3,in a fitting and sadly Cobra 7 -10 yards shorter and SS down at least 2-3 mph and worst dispersion. Major disappointment overall as despite decent look behind balls- also not great feel or sound vs the much more traditional Titleist.

Not all heads fit everyone the same. It is odd to find such higher dispersion with a driver that has a lot more MOI. Could have been a really bad shaft for the Cobra or just a really good dialed in setup on the TS3. But that’s what fittings are for! The TS3 is a very good driver. Glad you got it worked out!

Not all heads fit everyone the same. It is odd to find such higher dispersion with a driver that has a lot more MOI. Could have been a really bad shaft for the Cobra or just a really good dialed in setup on the TS3. But that’s what fittings are for! The TS3 is a very good driver. Glad you got it worked out!
Thanks and went with Kurocage black 55 GM stock shaft reg and at 62 just works for me - with Ping and Cobra never found right shaft I guess. Did not hit Mavrik as price diff did not seem worth it but did hit some TM SIMs - 2nd best choice by numbers.

Still messing around with drivers a lot at the moment. Putting the SZX back in. I also got another weight for it to try changing headweight around.

I just haven't felt comfortable with driver or that hybrid spot for awhile right now.
What are you trying?

What are you trying?
Went from SZX to G400 LST back to SZX to last year's F9 and now back to SZX. Driving went from a strength at the beginning of the year to now a liability with a nasty toe hook appearing.

Hoping the SZX helps me back into the groove I had at the beginning of the year.

Went from SZX to G400 LST back to SZX to last year's F9 and now back to SZX. Driving went from a strength at the beginning of the year to now a liability with a nasty toe hook appearing.

Hoping the SZX helps me back into the groove I had at the beginning of the year.
That head seems to perform ok off the toe at least. Seems there is always something we have to work out in this crazy game.

I think that my Xreme and I have finally clicked. Is like those people that initially you're not sure about and don't really get along with, but then you sit up until 3am one morning drinking and having a boozy heart to heart with and then wake up next morning lifelong buddies. Had one of my best ever driving days on the course last night and the confidence stood on the tee was something that I've not had for a long time. This isn't the longest driver for me, but I would rather be in the fairway than OOB right. Was swinging out of my boots and it just worked. Ball flight was unbelievably high, so most of the distance is carry given the soggy conditions over here. I. Love. This. Driver.

View attachment 8962600View attachment 8962601§§§

Nice to see your results. Glad the Xtreme is working out nicely for you.

That head seems to perform ok off the toe at least. Seems there is always something we have to work out in this crazy game.

It was great for awhile. I had it turned all the way down. Then started to notice my ball flight getting lower and lower. To the point where I thought it was on the low side.

And then trying to get more height without having this toe side miss punish me too much. Golf would suck if my 3 wood wasn't saving me as a reliable tee option.

My driver swing has been off for months. I like coming back to this thread to remind myself that the Speedzone was absolutely fantastic for me before I forgot how to swing.

Few more rounds in the books, not nearly as many swings as @OITW but I've learned to get along with the SZ. It wasn't nearly as quick of a courtship as the F9, but when I put a good swing on the ball it goes.

Couple from last round:
BA77AC4C-F229-49B0-BCAB-165159586D4D.jpeg
D3865967-D522-4543-A598-30FEFA69CEE2.jpeg

Few more rounds in the books, not nearly as many swings as @OITW but I've learned to get along with the SZ. It wasn't nearly as quick of a courtship as the F9, but when I put a good swing on the ball it goes.

Couple from last round:
View attachment 8962715
View attachment 8962716
Those are some serious tee shots Josh, love it! Seems that you're a bit like me and that the club is a slow burner, just have to take it for dinner a few times and sweet talk it for a few rounds before it starts to play nice. Have a feeling that like any good relationship, it's worth fighting a few times just to have the joy of making up again :LOL:

To be honest, I was the same with Cobra drivers, for some reason they just don't seem to work for me - not a knock on the brand at all, just not one that performed as well as others during fittings

I think I have found a little more confidence with the SZ driver with a few swing tweaks. Hope to see good results. It does seem a little shorter than my other driver I played but the misses for me are less punishing.

That could be using the Tour Length shaft in the driver as well.

Those are some serious tee shots Josh, love it! Seems that you're a bit like me and that the club is a slow burner, just have to take it for dinner a few times and sweet talk it for a few rounds before it starts to play nice. Have a feeling that like any good relationship, it's worth fighting a few times just to have the joy of making up again :LOL:
Haha way too true.

59c0da8ce4dd4824e9c393fc1ee42ab8.jpg

@Prince94 showed me my drive on 9 during our MGA night last night.

I think I have found a little more confidence with the SZ driver with a few swing tweaks. Hope to see good results. It does seem a little shorter than my other driver I played but the misses for me are less punishing.
It’s definitely not the longest driver for me either but I do agree on the misses being far less punishing.

Back