Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

I'm curious as to why. I struggle finding the center of my driver so it made since and has helped me but you seen to hit the driver well. What are you looking for? Is it to gain more accuracy?
From what I've seen he doesn't need any help there either :rolleyes:

I'm curious as to why. I struggle finding the center of my driver so it made since and has helped me but you seen to hit the driver well. What are you looking for? Is it to gain more accuracy?
That's a bit of it, yeah. Love the extra head weight.

As much as I was a driver guy a year or two ago, I'm falling out of love with it lately. Long shafts, light heads. I almost feel like it gets me too loose out there. I want something with big control, and something I can stay in my swing with.

Could be a fun story to tell, and an easy transition back to regular length if it doesn't go well.

From what I've seen he doesn't need any help there either :rolleyes:
Not a ton of divots to land in down the center of the fairway, amirite?!

Not a ton of divots to land in down the center of the fairway, amirite?!
I wouldn't know I'm usually off in the right rough

That's a bit of it, yeah. Love the extra head weight.

As much as I was a driver guy a year or two ago, I'm falling out of love with it lately. Long shafts, light heads. I almost feel like it gets me too loose out there. I want something with big control, and something I can stay in my swing with.

Could be a fun story to tell, and an easy transition back to regular length if it doesn't go well.

Interesting statement there. I've always gravitated to heavier head weights on drivers than is "normal" just for this reason. What's your current driver swing weight at? How would you see it changing going with tour length?

Jos, said that the shorter shaft, means even more center face/bullseye shots - more accurate and more distance

Smoke shaft didn't do that for me, but I like the concept and feel like it is similar to the Thriver setup that I adore.

Interesting statement there. I've always gravitated to heavier head weights on drivers than is "normal" just for this reason. What's your current driver swing weight at?
I don't own a driver. Gave my Epic Flash Sub Zero to my Dad, and my F9 to a friend haha

I don't own a driver. Gave my Epic Flash Sub Zero to my Dad, and my F9 to a friend haha

Your dad sure seems to inherit a lot of nice equipment. :)

Let's try this a different way. If the heavier head makes you feel like more in control and within your swing, what's swing weight where you feel it best and gives you that feeling of control, regardless if it's a driver or a big 3w or whatever you want to call it.

Your dad sure seems to inherit a lot of nice equipment. :)
He's earned it haha

When people ask how many sets of clubs i can build with my stash, I always wonder whether I should include his bag haha

Let's try this a different way. If the heavier head makes you feel like more in control and within your swing, what's swing weight where you feel it best and gives you that feeling of control, regardless if it's a driver or a big 3w or whatever you want to call it.

I really haven't spent a ton of time with this, honestly. I used to love the heavier 430cc heads with a 65g shaft. Seems like the lighter they get, the longer I get in my swing.

Jos, said that the shorter shaft, means even more center face/bullseye shots - more accurate and more distance

Smoke shaft didn't do that for me, but I like the concept and feel like it is similar to the Thriver setup that I adore.

I would love to see a significant comparison from a good ball striker regarding average distance and fairways hit with tour length v standard length. Does Jos use tour length? While it’s obvious that center strikes will result in the highest smash factor, I wonder how much the extra inch reduces center strikes for a decent ball striker.

If I go standard SZ I'll go tour length b/c I cut down my shafts anyways.... If I go Xtreme, which is what im leaning towards, id play it at 45". I'm curious if the Xtreme in tour length with the heavier weight in back would raise launch and spin even more. The Xtreme I hit last week was very good numbers and I wouldn't want to launch higher or spin more.

I really haven't spent a ton of time with this, honestly. I used to love the heavier 430cc heads with a 65g shaft. Seems like the lighter they get, the longer I get in my swing.

I can kind of see that for you, because you have a long swing anyway. I have a much more compact swing and think I might miss a shorter club just as easily as the longer shafted club.

I would love to see a significant comparison from a good ball striker regarding average distance and fairways hit with tour length v standard length. Does Jos use tour length? While it’s obvious that center strikes will result in the highest smash factor, I wonder how much the extra inch reduces center strikes for a decent ball striker.

I'm sure it's validated on an Iron Byron - I know Rickie played Tour Length for 17/18 (it was a marketing talking point) not sure about last year.

I'm sure it's validated on an Iron Byron - I know Rickie played Tour Length for 17/18 (it was a marketing talking point) not sure about last year.
I love my tour length driver that I game right now. I don't see any reason to not do it again. Gained accuracy and tightened the cluster up with it.

I was fitted for tour length and it helped with the dispersion.

Have you experimented with any other shafts? The smoke shaft was decent in my fitting but I went with the helium 5F4 at Jose's recommendation and it worked well with where my swing was. I stared launching it too high so I swapped to a heavier shaft and time it a bit better.

Craig, Jose was using a Prototype helium shaft in tour length if I recall correctly. I believe the average driver length on tour is between 44-45 inches from material they showed last year. Some quote Tigers driver length from the 90s where he was playing his driver around 43 inches but those heads were smaller and much less forgiving. I believe it was Jose that answered a lot of the pros play there drivers shorter than what they sell us at retail but I don't have the hard numbers to know.

The below golf.com article from December says 44.75" +/- 0.5 inches. (https://www.golf.com/gear/drivers/2019/12/18/average-driver-shaft-length-pga-tour-fully-equipped/)

The below golf monthly (UK) article from December says 44.5" (https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/features/the-game/optimum-driver-shaft-length-82330)

Have you experimented with any other shafts? The smoke shaft was decent in my fitting but I went with the helium 5F4 at Jose's recommendation and it worked well with where my swing was. I stared launching it too high so I swapped to a heavier shaft and time it a bit better.

Craig, Jose was using a Prototype helium shaft in tour length if I recall correctly. I believe the average driver length on tour is between 44-45 inches from material they showed last year. Some quote Tigers driver length from the 90s where he was playing his driver around 43 inches but those heads were smaller and much less forgiving. I believe it was Jose that answered a lot of the pros play there drivers shorter than what they sell us at retail but I don't have the hard numbers to know.

The below golf.com article from December says 44.75" +/- 0.5 inches. (https://www.golf.com/gear/drivers/2019/12/18/average-driver-shaft-length-pga-tour-fully-equipped/)

The below golf monthly (UK) article from December says 44.5" (https://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/features/the-game/optimum-driver-shaft-length-82330)

I also tried the Mitsubish Tensei Blue in Tour Length, was solid but not great (better than smoke).

Current F9 setup has the below at 45" and it's ? ?

Last edited:
it's here!!!!

initial thoughts, the shape is different from my cortex, but it's nice. Bigger front to back, but the way they shaped the sz xtreme it doesn't seem super elongated like some ping, callaway (looking at you rogue haha) or taylormade (one of the m series or maybe most) drivers I have hit.

I'm really hoping it didn't screw up getting the 12* head, but with my history, launch is an issue and I have been playing a 12 (turned down to 11) for a while now and have enjoyed it.

Going to go to my shop now and hopefully they have a bay open so I can get some numbers, compare to my cortex (will have the same shaft in it) and see how it goes. Very excited as I've heard a ton of good about it from the big guys on youtube and all of you guys here.

I also tried the Mitsubish Tensei Blue in Tour Length, was solid but not great (better than smoke).

Current F9 setup has the below at 45" and it's ? ?

Added link to shaft.

no bays open at the store so I just went to the range to beat a few.

it’s funny how having a driver youre comfy with is so easy to set up to and feel good haha. I started with the cortex and that was just so smooth and hitting the shot I was looking to hit. Switch over to the cobra and it felt a little awkward. Felt shorter Andhard to get into a comfortable posture with for some reason.

the hits though were awesome.
1) sound is what I’m looking for and it was with hard range balls. Can’t wait to hit it tomorrow with my ball.

2) shot shape should really give me confidence. I struggle with a terrible hard left missThat hooks. Not sure I hit a single shot that fell left. Had one start left with a pull but didn’t end up dead like my typical miss with the cortex and previous drivers have been. Once I trust it, I shouldn’t have any issue knowing that it’ll fall off right.

3) I was hitting the ball higher which is a huge plus for me. Didn’t look like a spinny high shot either. There was spin (probably due to the helium in it but if I end up gaming this thing the Attas 11 will get tipped up for the cobra). Obvioulsy no hard number but it looked like I was hitting it about the same as my cortex. Maybe slightly longer carry.

4) looks wise, as I said in my previous post, looks great down by the ball. Bigger than I’m used to in terms of front to back but not annoyingly so. Actually gives me a bit of confidence. Knowing that the sz is typically more my shape I look for, I took a chance on the xtreme and I’m satisfied I did.

I’m hoping to get this thing on a monitor soon. Would love to see the ball speed/carry/spin/launch numbers to see if it’s really for me. If not, I can always try and find a sz to hit haha

Back