Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

I had a great day with my Extreme today. When I step up to the ball I feel confident which is a huge plus off the tee box. I played with @MagicSpell and @Wildcat4life today. We had some wind going in all directions and short cut fairways gave me two drives that I am still laughing about. 383 and 374 right down the middle.

Both holes were par 5s and the first one I was only 41 yards from the pin. The second par 5 is a trip and rip hole that I caught the downhill and it ran way out. I was 80 yards across the cart path that crosses the fairway. I just missed the eagle putts and birdied both!

This driver will not be leaving the bag. Every time out it gets better and better. The first pic was my view for my second shot up to the pin.

FA972D10-53CE-47D6-9E69-AC0D1E3BED48.jpeg108A2702-4632-4766-BCAB-B9F2D33B6FDD.jpegF4F25A8D-C4B5-488D-8F6D-22D1229CBF88.jpeg

Its entirely possible and highly likely that my swing was the equivalent of hot garbage on Friday night but turning down the Xtreme to 8* to lower flight and spin a bit was a complete disaster haha. Everything went right. Probably should have done some range testing before teeing it up without trying during league play as I shot my worst score in quite some time. I should probably just stop messing around and leave it be haha

I unexpectedly got to play a round over the weekend and threw in the Xtreme head with Smoke Green 60, 6.0 shaft. I have gone back and forth as to whether this shaft works for me, but wow, oh wow, was it working this time. The shaft keeps the spin down and then there is that head that just looks so easy to hit behind the ball. I have been hot and cold with the standard SZ head, but this combo of Xtreme head and Smoke Green shaft may end up being in my bag long term.

I unexpectedly got to play a round over the weekend and threw in the Xtreme head with Smoke Green 60, 6.0 shaft. I have gone back and forth as to whether this shaft works for me, but wow, oh wow, was it working this time. The shaft keeps the spin down and then there is that head that just looks so easy to hit behind the ball. I have been hot and cold with the standard SZ head, but this combo of Xtreme head and Smoke Green shaft may end up being in my bag long term.
I've wondered if I could handle that shaft, if you can I bet I can too. I need to try it to see if it helps with my ball flight at all

Looks like Rick Shiels is playing the Xtreme now.

I struggled off the tee a bit playing this one today. Using the non-extreme head, which is not normal, I was not getting the spin I normally like. Before round, the Quad said in the 1900 range with only 10* of launch, but I forgot my wrench back at the office, so didn't get a chance to loft it up a bit.

Going back to XTreme head for next round out.

I've wondered if I could handle that shaft, if you can I bet I can too. I need to try it to see if it helps with my ball flight at all

I am sure your swing speed is higher than mine, which certainly is one of the major factors in shaft fitting. Ordering a shaft through Cobra is not super expensive, although it is not the PVD finish.

I struggled off the tee a bit playing this one today. Using the non-extreme head, which is not normal, I was not getting the spin I normally like. Before round, the Quad said in the 1900 range with only 10* of launch, but I forgot my wrench back at the office, so didn't get a chance to loft it up a bit.

I was struggling as well until I lofted up my 9° to 10.5° and moved the heavy weight back. Since the change the SZ has performed very well.

I have trouble with low spin settings no matter the brand. I can't get the ball in the air for some reason.

I was struggling as well until I lofted up my 9° to 10.5° and moved the heavy weight back. Since the change the SZ has performed very well.

I have trouble with low spin settings no matter the brand. I can't get the ball in the air for some reason.

Yeah I have been really hitting the Xtreme well, but for some reason had the other driver in the bag this morning and bash these drivers.

Yeah I have been really hitting the Xtreme well, but for some reason had the other driver in the bag this morning.
I guess I'm basically playing the Xtreme now with my settings. :p

I think I have decided that you and I need to play golf soon.
Didn't you say you were coming this way soon. You just let me know when! Or in Utah would be good.

Didn't you say you were coming this way soon. You just let me know when! Or in Utah would be good.

We will definitely make it happen. Battling sabers.

Has anyone tried the standard sz with the helium shaft?

Has anyone tried the standard sz with the helium shaft?
I had a UST Helium 49G in mine and really like it except it was a bit too flexible because my swing speed and slight aggressiveness has increased. I went to a Tensei that was heavier and not as flexible. My SS is in the mid 90s to high 90s and currently average at 97.

FedEx showed up today.
This is gonna be fun
9D3C1136-F172-468A-89B9-2CE118B4924A.jpeg

This is BY FAR the favorite driver I have ever hit. I'm playing the Standard SZ with the Tensei Blue shaft and I have never played a combo like this before. I lucked out so much. Like lottery lucked out. I found an amazing deal on ebay for a brand new SZ and bought it, sight unseen with a stroke of a keyboard and a set of crossed fingers.

Honestly, I don't know what it is. I don't know of it's the head, shaft, or the combo of both (most likely) but I have never had a shaft and head load up like this for me giving me the confidence to swing away down the line. I missed ONE fairway today with this driver. ONE (and it was a freaking bomb that I missed by MAYBE 8 yards). That doesn't happen for me, man. It just doesn't happen. To top it off, I had some PB LOOOOOOONGGG drives on my course today. I actually hit a 7i into a par 5 that I have NEVER reached in two before.

Mine is set at 10.5 and I considered tuning in down to 9.0 and the draw setting. To hell with that! I'm not touching this thing (though it is awkward getting used to seeing and playing a fade after hitting a draw for so long). I absolutely love this driver more than any driver I have ever hit (sorry R7 Quad, you've been dethroned).

:love::love::love::love::love:

Took my F9 in to compare with the SZ since they opened the stores back up. Grabbed some baseline numbers with the F9 and then put my shaft in the SZ.

Lower spin - More yards...they kept my F9 head and gave them the shaft from the SZ.

Will see what happens real world tomorrow.

Took my F9 in to compare with the SZ since they opened the stores back up. Grabbed some baseline numbers with the F9 and then put my shaft in the SZ.

Lower spin - More yards...they kept my F9 head and gave them the shaft from the SZ.

Will see what happens real world tomorrow.
Cranked down to 5° right??? lol

Reactions: J4U
Cranked down to 5° right??? lol
Haha, if there was a way...yes.

Still have that other driver and bring it out from time to time. Doesn't work very well when not playing regularly.

This is BY FAR the favorite driver I have ever hit. I'm playing the Standard SZ with the Tensei Blue shaft and I have never played a combo like this before.
This is the combo I have and I really like it. Best and longest drives I have ever hit, when I am playing good that is. Between practicing and this driver my averages have increased significantly.

For my SS and aggressiveness the Tensei and the SZ is a great combo. I have worked with a number of the settings and it may be that -1 draw might be my best, but I am still experimenting with those. I am having some consistency swing issues lately (not the drivers fault) that I need to work out.

I received my weights I ordered and have the Standard SZ now setup with 18/10 gram weights (it came with 18/6). I had a good day with it on Sunday. It wasn’t as long as I have hit it, but that is more where my swing is than anything else. I was pretty consistent with it and that is what I really love about this driver. I used it on a lot of holes Sunday:
F513AFDA-BE50-4ABF-8201-1E3BEF44F020.png

What shaft did you have in play?

So I have enough rounds in now to make an interesting observation anecdotally. Take this all with a grain of salt however as its not scientific and weather, course conditions, and my swing for that day may be +/- mph by a few.

With that being said, I took 2 rounds where I know I had a different mentality due to the course make up. The first was an old school mature tree lined course where accuracy was paramount over distance. Get into the tree lines and you are looking at automatic bogey or worse. The second is a newer course with fewer trees and less mature groves so a much more wide open foot print.

For the tight course, my mind set was keeping the face square and stay swinging smooth to hit fairways even if I was giving up yards. For the open course, my mind set was more to swing through and swing more aggressively knowing that I had some room either side.

Below are the driver stats from Arccos.

Must Find Fairway ( Course 1 ) More Aggressive Swing ( Course 2 )
Capture+_2020-06-16-10-55-45.pngCapture+_2020-06-16-10-54-46.png

So here's my observation. On both rounds, I tracked where I hit on the face after each shot. When I was playing the first course, my hits were all middle of face but ranged high to low ( up and down on the face ). Some high bombs and some low on faces screamers. When I played the second course, I was hitting middle of face but my misses were towards the toe and heel ( left and right on the face ). As you can see by the numbers, up and down the face but middle didn't necessarily negatively impact the distance consistency. The numbers for the left right misses very much affected the distance. Heel shots seemed to go the shortest. Out on the toe went a long way but gear affect put a pretty good draw on the ball. The two long balls in the second round I hit pretty close to on the screws. Both dead straight.

So far, I really feel that center ( even high and low strikes ) are money and my bomb location is middle of face, slightly toe side. Heel strikes are where I seem to lose the most distance and extreme toe strikes are where I lose the most accuracy. Anyone feel the same?

Last edited:
Back