Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

Maiden voyage with the SZ X. Playing mine at 45" with a Graphite Design YS-Five Nano Reloaded R flex shaft.
I usually swing around 90 mph and my avg drive for all of 2020 so far this season has been 214 yds which I would say is pretty accurate given our crappy OH weather (long cool wet spring and early summer so far). We finally got a bit of a warm up here and it was around 80* and firmer out Friday when I played.
Based on my Game Golf stats below the Xtreme managed an average drive of 231. I had 7 drives in the 230-260 range which is really long for me.
I started the round with it set to STD D but on the 4th hole moved to +1/D and liked the higher ball flight. When the swing was clicking it was a nice high draw that would start down the right and end up the middle. Also the Accuracy was there as my all time average is 59% FIR and with the Xtreme it was 69% and my miss was right (push) which is better than the short snap hook I have dealt with over the years. Also I got a little aggressive with the tee height and nearly sky marked two of them. Both of those shots still got me over 200 yds and best of all no mark on the crown with the face extending over the top line ridge. Such a neat feature.

driver distance.png

Haven’t got in here in a bit but the grandmama thread has me realizing I need to share some stuff haha Due to some things going on personally, I haven’t been able to get out and play too much since April.

I took like 2 weeks off and was super worried that my game would be crap when I was able to get back out. well it was for the most part but my driving was the best it had been all year.lazy snap hooks. They were high straight balls and some nice power fades that just carried.

fast forward again to a round I played in late May (again after about 2-3 weeks off) and same thing. I’m hoping to get out this week again after almost a full month off and for the first time in awhile (driver purchase wise haha) I am not remotely worried about being able to hit the tee ball. It has become the strongest part of my game slightly behind putting.

while I see other drivers on the market doing very very well in different tests, I have no need to go out and tempt myself to try and buy. Just super happy.

:) thanks for reading this long spiel. I’ll try to update later this week. Here’s two swings from April and May. First one was absolutely hammered and couldn’t have hit it better. The second as you seei struck it towards the toe, but it came out as a very lovey push draw that not only had a overall distance of about 285 but it carried super well for the strike I gave it.

Not sure why but I hit std speedzone better than xtreme model.....also Mavrik sub zero better than standard mavrik.....unsure of the science behind the smaller shaped heads ......

Not sure why but I hit std speedzone better than xtreme model.....also Mavrik sub zero better than standard mavrik.....unsure of the science behind the smaller shaped heads ......

You may just like it better/feel more confident in it.

what was bettervs the Xtreme.

I now have almost an equal number of shots with 2 different shafts in my driver. Here are the stats. The THCE shaft is giving me more distance as expected (it’s longer) it also has eliminated the left side a bit more while increasing the right miss a tad. Clearly the right miss isn’t going away and is user error but seeing the data is pretty cool. Can’t help but wonder what other adjustments could be made that aren’t swing related.

Tour Length Rogue
C437D2B2-93D7-4CDC-AFE3-2C601C235870.png

THCE shaft
5928E872-29E7-4A8C-9D85-2F8E56F31E75.png

Still playing the helium - seemed to work better than the other shafts i tried probably due
To tour length

I feel confident going after it and hitting easy shots too.

E839EF59-31DA-43C9-872F-63658866A636.jpeg
Getting there....

Took the Pars and Stripes SpeedZone out yesterday for the first course action against Tour Length Xtreme

Speezone 9*, Heavy weight forward, Ventus Blue 6 stiff at 45.5"

Xtreme 9*, 14g weight with 3 strips lead tape on toe next to the 14g, Ventus Black 6 x 44.75"

Overall theres a lot of promise in the SpeedZone. Dead center perfect strikes had greater distance than the Xtreme, but Xtreme had a greater avg distance and definitely more accurate. Control wise I know by design the Xtreme should win, especially with a very stable shaft. I think if I had a Ventus Blue X flex in the SpeedZone and tipped it to play the same length as the Xtreme, then id have the magic combo. I feel I could play either driver right now and be very happy

The Ventus Black in the speed zone hit low missiles. It would probably be more suited for a 10.5 head

On a wide open par 5 with no-one around me I hit 3 drives. First with the Speedzone and hit it very square. I knew I caught it pretty well and stayed right side fairway with no curve... Next ball I hit the Xtreme and thought "Holy S*** I pounded that one" It felt powerful off the face and im thinking that might have been the farthest drive ive ever hit.. Hit one more with Speedzone to finish and again caught it square. Either slightly open face or club path bc there was about a 10yd fade or so......... All 3 in the fairway separated by 15 yards. Xtreme was the short one! Even the slight fade went 5 yards farther than the Xtreme, the first ball was another 10 yards ahead of that one

Took the Pars and Stripes SpeedZone out yesterday for the first course action against Tour Length Xtreme

Speezone 9*, Heavy weight forward, Ventus Blue 6 stiff at 45.5"

Xtreme 9*, 14g weight with 3 strips lead tape on toe next to the 14g, Ventus Black 6 x 44.75"

Overall theres a lot of promise in the SpeedZone. Dead center perfect strikes had greater distance than the Xtreme, but Xtreme had a greater avg distance and definitely more accurate. Control wise I know by design the Xtreme should win, especially with a very stable shaft. I think if I had a Ventus Blue X flex in the SpeedZone and tipped it to play the same length as the Xtreme, then id have the magic combo. I feel I could play either driver right now and be very happy

The Ventus Black in the speed zone hit low missiles. It would probably be more suited for a 10.5 head

On a wide open par 5 with no-one around me I hit 3 drives. First with the Speedzone and hit it very square. I knew I caught it pretty well and stayed right side fairway with no curve... Next ball I hit the Xtreme and thought "Holy S*** I pounded that one" It felt powerful off the face and im thinking that might have been the farthest drive ive ever hit.. Hit one more with Speedzone to finish and again caught it square. Either slightly open face or club path bc there was about a 10yd fade or so......... All 3 in the fairway separated by 15 yards. Xtreme was the short one! Even the slight fade went 5 yards farther than the Xtreme, the first ball was another 10 yards ahead of that one

I have hit both heads quite a bit and the standard head is longer for me as well. The Xtreme head is definitely more forgiving, but just not quite as long. For me it is simply because the standard head is lower spinning.

played 36 holes Saturday.. 1st round with Xtreme, 2nd round with Speedzone. I think both are options for me at this point, but id still lean towards Xtreme. I need to get a different shaft in the Speedzone before I make a decision

Top end speed and distance I think Speedzone gets the edge but overall average distance due to forgiveness would be the Xtreme... Along with the head design, I do think the Ventus Black plays a big role in keeping bad strikes more online with minimal curve. Heel shots with Xtreme stay online and fly straight, same strike with SpeedZone results in a fade - slice. I have not tried the Black in the SpeedZone but I will today or tomorrow

played 36 holes Saturday.. 1st round with Xtreme, 2nd round with Speedzone. I think both are options for me at this point, but id still lean towards Xtreme. I need to get a different shaft in the Speedzone before I make a decision

Top end speed and distance I think Speedzone gets the edge but overall average distance due to forgiveness would be the Xtreme... Along with the head design, I do think the Ventus Black plays a big role in keeping bad strikes more online with minimal curve. Heel shots with Xtreme stay online and fly straight, same strike with SpeedZone results in a fade - slice. I have not tried the Black in the SpeedZone but I will today or tomorrow

Be interested to see how the black does in the Speedzone head. I attribute the forgiveness I see on mine to the LINQ Purple. Especially the toe side high strikes. Heels are a manageable fade.

Be interested to see how the black does in the Speedzone head. I attribute the forgiveness I see on mine to the LINQ Purple. Especially the toe side high strikes. Heels are a manageable fade.
yea ill have to see. The Black is pretty hard to turnover. Does a great job at keeping a very stable, straight flight... SZ seems to be fade biased already

yea ill have to see. The Black is pretty hard to turnover. Does a great job at keeping a very stable, straight flight... SZ seems to be fade biased already

Agreed. I've gone with just playing the slight fade as go to shot as its allowed me to remove the left side most of the time. Much easier to manage for me.

Still messing with the settings haha. One of the reasons I wanted to go Xtreme was so I couldn't do that but I've been so hit or miss lately with it I can't help it.

I tried the Xtreme in 3 different hosel positions today. 8* made the ball go more right. Oddly enough putting it in the draw setting did the opposite and made it go farther right. Has to be something I'm doing thats causing it. 10* made it go too high and spinny, 9* seems to be the happy medium with this shaft installed. Still waiting on a hosel adapter for a shaft change. Might have look at a ball change as well to something that spins a little less but going to wait and see as I have also figured out that the swing weight is heavy or at least I think so. Hit @Lions81 Mavrik with Ventus Blue immediately after hitting mine twice today and both times were pull hooks. He hit mine once today after driving his straight all day and his was a push right with fade. He immediately commented how heavy mine felt.

Hoping to get this resolved soon with a lighter weight due to arrive on Wed. I'm sure its not going to be the magic bullet for me but hoping it helps a little. Never really thought about it till last week when I started taking swings with the different driver. Kind of slightly annoyed Cobra keeps changing the weight shape every year now haha

Still messing with the settings haha. One of the reasons I wanted to go Xtreme was so I couldn't do that but I've been so hit or miss lately with it I can't help it.

I tried the Xtreme in 3 different hosel positions today. 8* made the ball go more right. Oddly enough putting it in the draw setting did the opposite and made it go farther right. Has to be something I'm doing thats causing it. 10* made it go too high and spinny, 9* seems to be the happy medium with this shaft installed. Still waiting on a hosel adapter for a shaft change. Might have look at a ball change as well to something that spins a little less but going to wait and see as I have also figured out that the swing weight is heavy or at least I think so. Hit @Lions81 Mavrik with Ventus Blue immediately after hitting mine twice today and both times were pull hooks. He hit mine once today after driving his straight all day and his was a push right with fade. He immediately commented how heavy mine felt.

Hoping to get this resolved soon with a lighter weight due to arrive on Wed. I'm sure its not going to be the magic bullet for me but hoping it helps a little. Never really thought about it till last week when I started taking swings with the different driver. Kind of slightly annoyed Cobra keeps changing the weight shape every year now haha

I think the swing weight on yours is very high right now. Felt like I was swinging a hammer. Think once you get some lighter weights in there you will feel a lot better.

Kind of slightly annoyed Cobra keeps changing the weight shape every year now haha

Do you need me to sub in for the Morgan Cup? :LOL: just kidding... I really think the weighting will make a big difference. I think the standard head is fade biased. I don't think thee Xtreme is (based on hitting both quite a bit), but a heavy club is just going to be difficult to close.

Do you need me to sub in for the Morgan Cup? :LOL: just kidding... I really think the weighting will make a big difference. I think the standard head is fade biased. I don't think thee Xtreme is (based on hitting both quite a bit), but a heavy club is just going to be difficult to close.
Haha!

It’s likely something I’m doing, obviously no pro here but I agree it does seem easier to turn over the lighter club. I think in general the Xtreme shape really isn’t meant to work the ball and that’s not what I’m trying to do really but I have seen a few baby draws in my time with it

Well it's funny how this game reminds you that just when you think you have something figured out, you actually know nothing haha. Had been putting out some really solid drives and getting away from the right of right miss. Well that all came rushing back yesterday and I never really got it under control. I did hit some good drives mixed in, but unfortunately just wasn't a good day driving the ball for this guy.

Last edited:
my new Pars and Stripes driver with the Ventus Blue 6 S is really coming alive. I feel extremely confident with it. The shaft and weight feel perfect, like I can really go after it, but not lose it. Something about the white head makes it seem big and forgiving. This driver could be in my bag for a long time.

D3979C2D-6E70-46C5-9508-B6B4C198CB20.png

Last edited:
Back