Cobra KING SPEEDZONE and SPEEDZONE XTREME Drivers

I threw the Xtreme head in the bag this evening for 9 holes, even though I have been loving my Pars and Stripes. The Xtreme head with the Smoke Green shaft is quite a monsterous combo. The forgiving head combined with such a low spin shaft provides a high launch, low spin ball that can really get out there, but also feels repeatable.
I haven't tried the Smoke Green in my Xtreme yet. I have the weights and need to try this combo and also try the Ventus Black in my standard head. Too many options and too little time. :unsure:

Hit driver pretty well today overall. New setup with Tensei white and lighter 10g weight has eliminated the big right miss for the most part but still seeing really high and spinny flight. I lowered it 8*D today and it helped some.
I am in the same setup. 10g; 45" length, 8* D setting and this combo seems pretty solid for me. The 14g weight just sends the ball high and right for me as well. The only other option I may try is the 6g with 4g of lead tape forward. If that works, then perhaps hotmelt would be in order.

Going to try a slightly different setup today at the range just to see how it responds. Started at 14g/14g on my Speedzone at 8 Deg neutral. Switched that around and ended up on 9 deg neutral with 14g/10g setup. Going to switch back to 8 deg with D setting and give that a try. Might through the 14g weight back into the back just to see how that impacts the flight.

I have been struggling on the course with driver but take it to the range and am hitting it well. I am setup in tour length standard head with 18 in back and 10 in front. Atmos Blue 6s shaft. My friend @MagicSpell is going to let me try his Linq Gunmetal at the range on Sunday.

I am in the same setup. 10g; 45" length, 8* D setting and this combo seems pretty solid for me. The 14g weight just sends the ball high and right for me as well. The only other option I may try is the 6g with 4g of lead tape forward. If that works, then perhaps hotmelt would be in order.
That could be my next experiment. Though may have to try (gulp) lead tape first 😳 The Xtreme just wants to launch it high.

That could be my next experiment. Though may have to try (gulp) lead tape first 😳 The Xtreme just wants to launch it high.
Tape is good Cap! Don't fear it :ROFLMAO:

Tape is good Cap! Don't fear it :ROFLMAO:
It would be temporary, if it helps hot melt would be the way to go. That ugly tape would never stay on my clubs

Hzrdus Green will bring launch and spin down. Trust me.

Hzrdus Green will bring launch and spin down. Trust me.
I was thinking about that and may want to look at that first. I know a lot of my issue is my swing as my miss is right anyway. I have had some better results with the Tensei White but still seems to have too much spin. Maybe I should just fix my swing haha

I was thinking about that and may want to look at that first. I know a lot of my issue is my swing as my miss is right anyway. I have had some better results with the Tensei White but still seems to have too much spin. Maybe I should just fix my swing haha

Where’s the fun in that?

ive had a weird 2 weeks with the Xtreme lately. The distance just isn't there and it seems like im spinning it a ton right now. To be fair, the accuracy is still there and im hitting a ton of fairways but Arccos has be about 30+ yards shorter the last few weeks than normal

Played 18 after work yesterday. Hit 5 of 7 fairways but avg distance was 247. 4 of the 5 fairways I hit had a dead straight flight to even a tiny baby draw so im not sure whats going on. Benched it on the back 9 in favor of the pars and stripes speedzone.. First drive with the regular Speedzone went 296. Played the SZ for the rest of the back 9 and avg distance was 293 and hit 4 of 7 fairways, 2 misses were just off into the rough

Just to put things in perspective with driver for me lately on hole 16 at Arcadia I had the box, I proceeded to hit the dreaded pull hook so far left I wasn't even looking for it. Of course, it came out of nowhere as all day I was hitting a fade or slice. I decided to re-tee after everyone hit and hit a bomb straight as an arrow. @Lions81 made the comment...same guy haha. Its so true, wildly inconsistent lately even from day to day but the point is most of my issues if not all are swing or mental related.

I have found the sweet spot "for now" with this driver for me is at the 9* D setting. When I try turning it down to 8* the ball wants to go more right even though with MyFly its not supposed to open the face it sure seems like it wants to go right when I do that, whether its mental or not I don't know. However even at 9* the ball is just going so high...again "for me". I let a friend hit this a few times last night who is notoriously a high ball hitter and he was hitting seeds with it:oops: so now I'm thinking I may have another issue somewhere in my setup possibly? Kind of frustrating but good learning experience with this head.

Now that we have the swing stuff out of the way lets talk about the head itself. I'm on record saying its not my favorite sounding head. I think Cobra nailed it with the F9 last year and this is a step backward in that regard but the infinity face is really really good. The Xtreme does what it claims, its forgiving across the face I can't tell you how many times I look where impact was and I often times its not dead center yet the ball doesn't react the way other drivers would on heel and toe strikes. Because of the shape I do think its a little more difficult to try and shape your shots than the standard head but again this is not necessarily what this head is designed for. For me personally after playing more than 30 rounds this year. I feel like it spins a little too much for my swing so its not going to be the longest driver for me but if I can still put it out there a decent way and its in play I can live with it because in play means better scores.

So I took the Ventus Black from the Xtreme and threw it into the standard head set to 9* (stock) setting. This took the club from 44.5" to 45" so I had to make a corresponding weight change. The weights for the 44.5" were an 18g and a 6g weight. I started with a 14g front and the 6g back (dropping 4g) total. Produced some really low penetrating shots but felt a little too heavy to my liking with the Ventus 60g shaft. I was testing dead into a steady 2 to 3 club wind, which was nice to work out spin and trajectory. This setup was definitely producing some low spin shots that were still getting out there nicely for me, but when I really went for it, the shaft seemed to be a little too active at this weight. I next tried the 10g weight front and 6g back, dropping another 4g total. I don't know how much of a difference this made in SW, but the end result seemed to work really well for me. My launch increased, but the ball remained fairly penetrating into the wind and produced a tighter dispersion than the prior setup. So for now, I think this will be my combo since it seems to be quite a bit longer for me than the Xtreme. I still want to get some lead weight on the front of the Xtreme with it weighted similar to the standard head and see how that compares. These are very versatile heads, but, IMO, they are both quirky in their own unique way.

I hit a couple absolute MONSTERS with the SZ this weekend.

I'm finding that with the Rogue Silver 110 I'm getting lower trajectory than I am used to (which I love, means more roll). It's great for the neutral or against-the-wind swings where I don't feel like I have to change anything, it still goes plenty far.

What has baffled me all year is my own personal swing, which errors as an open face with outside-to-in path (aka the fade+ flight haha). When I square this up, it's an absolute hammer. I'm starting to get more and more comfortable with playing it for a fade, but I'm always of the preference to see a straight ball. Long story short, most of my negatives that could relate to the head are basically my fault. When I square this club up, it is an absolute beast. My 18th hole is a 450 yard beast, and today we had wind at our back and firm fairways. I had 95 yards to the pin after a baby fade split the middle of the fairway.

Big, effin, boom.

I have hit a few different drivers this year, but my handful of very best drives have been with the Pars and Stripes standard head, which has the Ventus Blue 6 S shaft. I have to not be lazy with my swing and square up the head. When I do, the combo is as long as anything I have ever hit.

I have hit a few different drivers this year, but my handful of very best drives have been with the Pars and Stripes standard head, which has the Ventus Blue 6 S shaft. I have to not be lazy with my swing and square up the head. When I do, the combo is as long as anything I have ever hit.
Flatter? Lower?

What's flight like?

I have seen ball speed in the 150’s, which is my top end at this point in my golf life.

My swing may be a touch stronger this year, not sure. But, although I liked the sound/feel of the F9 better, I am getting more out of the SpeedZone.

Had another great day with Xtreme driver today. 7/14 fairways and a couple great drives, longest of 298! Drives that missed fairway, per Arccos, were just off by a few yards. Loving this driver now that I figured it out and tweaked it :love:

I feel like I am finally getting the speedzone driver dialed in. Had a pretty good day driving the ball on Sunday. When you hit it on the screws it goes forever. Really don't feel like I am losing any distance with the tour length shaft. I do feel it has a bit of a fade bias the more I play it. That is my normal shot shape I produced, so not a problem. The SZ was pretty forgiving. One bad swing cost me, but any driver I had with that swing would have turned out bad. I may see if I can grab an Xtreme to compare at some point.

I feel like I am finally getting the speedzone driver dialed in. Had a pretty good day driving the ball on Sunday. When you hit it on the screws it goes forever. Really don't feel like I am losing any distance with the tour length shaft. I do feel it has a bit of a fade bias the more I play it. That is my normal shot shape I produced, so not a problem. The SZ was pretty forgiving. One bad swing cost me, but any driver I had with that swing would have turned out bad. I may see if I can grab an Xtreme to compare at some point.
You can try mine out the next time we play 👊

20200718_070642.jpg

Its been just under a month but after trying out the Speedzone vs the Xtreme, im moving on from the Speedzone

Ive said it since ive had it that the Xtreme has been the most playable driver for me by far! I would like to lower the launch and spin a bit more but I understand the design of the driver and its something im willing to sacrifice right now bc im hitting so many more fairways

Speedzone felt solid when centered but its much less forgiving. I understand a bad swing is a bad swing and not the clubs fault, but ive lost more balls out of bounds with the SZ in 4 rounds than I have with the Xtreme in 20+

Last edited:
Back