Review Cobra KING SPEEDZONE Big Fairway Wood

@Canadan were you able to compare this to the tour version? I have hit and really liked the smaller head but this one has me thinking but unfortunately the golf shop doesn’t have one in yet. I use a 3 wood from the tee as well as the fairway, is it really that much harder to hit off the deck? Looking at the size I think it’s still a bit smaller than the TM TI SIM 3 wood

@Canadan were you able to compare this to the tour version? I have hit and really liked the smaller head but this one has me thinking but unfortunately the golf shop doesn’t have one in yet. I use a 3 wood from the tee as well as the fairway, is it really that much harder to hit off the deck? Looking at the size I think it’s still a bit smaller than the TM TI SIM 3 wood
I wouldn't call it 'harder' to hit off the deck, I just wouldn't call it 'as easy' to hit off the deck, you know what I mean?

Deeper flatter sole without rails will inevitably introduce a difference experience from a fairway lie.

Reactions: MH
Barely, Big Tour is 173cc and the SIM Ti is 180cc. So super close.

Reactions: MH
I picked one of these up with trade in through GlobalGolf. I previously used a TM Original One and thought this might be a better fit. I don’t use 3 wood off the tee much, primarily use it off the deck on 2 par 5’s at the home course. Coming from the mini driver. the head looks tiny in comparison. I find it very easy to get the ball airborne and in a desirable direction. Got it with the Project X Smoke Yellow 6.0 and it feels great. Distance has been as good as any other 3 wood I have gamed. Actually have a higher ball flight with the the Big Tour and I really like it. If I was buying a cobra branded 3 wood, this would be the one to buy. You’ll really enjoy it.

I picked one of these up with trade in through GlobalGolf. I previously used a TM Original One and thought this might be a better fit. I don’t use 3 wood off the tee much, primarily use it off the deck on 2 par 5’s at the home course. Coming from the mini driver. the head looks tiny in comparison. I find it very easy to get the ball airborne and in a desirable direction. Got it with the Project X Smoke Yellow 6.0 and it feels great. Distance has been as good as any other 3 wood I have gamed. Actually have a higher ball flight with the the Big Tour and I really like it. If I was buying a cobra branded 3 wood, this would be the one to buy. You’ll really enjoy it.
Easy to get the ball airborne off the deck or off the tee?

Easy to get the ball airborne off the deck or off the tee?
Both. I don’t think I have ever hit a fairway wood off the deck that gets in the air as quick as the Big Tour.

Both. I don’t think I have ever hit a fairway wood off the deck that gets in the air as quick as the Big Tour.
Must be something just working in your swing style with it. I definitely found it to be more in that 'work to elevate' class of woods. But then again, the guarantee good contact, I would argue I'm a bit more down on AoA with the Big Tour off a fairway lie than a traditional 3w. Probably makes a difference as well.

Must be something just working in your swing style with it. I definitely found it to be more in that 'work to elevate' class of woods. But then again, the guarantee good contact, I would argue I'm a bit more down on AoA with the Big Tour off a fairway lie than a traditional 3w. Probably makes a difference as well.

I have never had issues hitting fairway woods and hybrids. Irons are a different story...:cool:

I have never had issues hitting fairway woods and hybrids. Irons are a different story...:cool:

I think as @Canadan suggested, it has a lot to do with AoA. I come in very shallow, even with irons, and have a positive 3 or 4 A0A with driver. So, even with a driver ss of around 100, I don’t struggle to elevate fairway woods. However, I am not as good of an iron player as others with a similar index.

I have a Big Tour and have yet to really be able to use it off the deck, as we have been snowed in, but I am hopeful it will work for me off the deck. It is crucial for my scoring that my 3 wood be a weapon on par 5s.

Barely, Big Tour is 173cc and the SIM Ti is 180cc. So super close.

I guess what I’m getting at is even though the sim is pretty big it didn’t look terrible to me and that usually isn’t the case when it comes to 3 woods with similar profiles

Hit this again today, purely in driver replacement.

It's so strong when hit right. Very impressive. I'm definitely not saying it's worth dumping the driver altogether, but man it's efficient.

Hit this again today, purely in driver replacement.

It's so strong when hit right. Very impressive. I'm definitely not saying it's worth dumping the driver altogether, but man it's efficient.
I think I'm going to have to pull the trigger on one of these!!

@Canadan what shaft does the big tour have on it? Smoke yellow? If so ho does it compare to the black? I tried a few swings with the regular tour head & yellow combo the other day and left pretty impressed. Didn’t spend enough time to get a good feel for the shaft & they didn’t have a fitting cart to try different shafts

I feel like I am finally in a position to offer some feedback in this thread, since I have been able to hit the Big Tour outside, both off the tee and off the deck. Mine is set up at 13.5*. It has the stock Smoke Yellow, 6.0 shaft. Although his swing is much different than mine, but better with gobs more club speed, I concur with what @Canadan has posted regarding this head.

It is one of the best strong 3 woods I have hit off the tee. It generates a lot of ball speed. It is accurate. For me, it has a piercing trajectory. Below is a typical distance for me with it off the tee. Although this is at 4,000 feet elevation, it also is in 45 degree weather with very mushy fairways, so the distance is there. I have now hit it 6 times off the tee and have not missed a fairway yet, so it is a great ”must hit the fairway” tee club.

I am not sure whether this club will find a long term spot in my bag, though, because, for me, it is not the easiest club to elevate off the deck. I am going to give it more time and it is vey early in the season but I really need my 3 wood to be great off the deck and there are a couple of strong 3 woods that work really well for me both as tee clubs and off the deck. I offer this input for you Morgan Cup guys, who are trying to decide which 3 wood to choose. If you need it for both a tee club and from the fairway, I urge a little caution. If I were in the Morgan Cup, knowing what I know, I may well choose the standard head and set it up at 13.5*. Of course, each of us is different.

971CF39A-1944-47B2-8353-166FAAB4C24D.jpeg

I feel like I am finally in a position to offer some feedback in this thread, since I have been able to hit the Big Tour outside, both off the tee and off the deck. Mine is set up at 13.5*. It has the stock Smoke Yellow, 6.0 shaft. Although his swing is much different than mine, but better with gobs more club speed, I concur with what @Canadan has posted regarding this head.

It is one of the best strong 3 woods I have hit off the tee. It generates a lot of ball speed. It is accurate. For me, it has a piercing trajectory. Below is a typical distance for me with it off the tee. Although this is at 4,000 feet elevation, it also is in 45 degree weather with very mushy fairways, so the distance is there. I have now hit it 6 times off the tee and have not missed a fairway yet, so it is a great ”must hit the fairway” tee club.

I am not sure whether this club will find a long term spot in my bag, though, because, for me, it is not the easiest club to elevate off the deck. I am going to give it more time and it is vey early in the season but I really need my 3 wood to be great off the deck and there are a couple of strong 3 woods that work really well for me both as tee clubs and off the deck. I offer this input for you Morgan Cup guys, who are trying to decide which 3 wood to choose. If you need it for both a tee club and from the fairway, I urge a little caution. If I were in the Morgan Cup, knowing what I know, I may well choose the standard head and set it up at 13.5*. Of course, each of us is different.

View attachment 8929046

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it. I considered and then discounted the Big Tour for the reason that I’m looking for 3w to hit off the deck.

View attachment 8929046
This thread is giving me fantastic information and I thank both you and Dan for the input, but at the same time bringing up some doubt in my decisions.

This thread is giving me fantastic information and I thank both you and Dan for the input, but at the same time bringing up some doubt in my decisions.

You likely aren’t alone. The rails and being able to hit it off the deck has me set on the Speedzone Fairway 3w. I considered the Big Tour long and hard. Ultimately, I’d rather have a club to hit off the deck as opposed to one I would use only off the tee.

You likely aren’t alone. The rails and being able to hit it off the deck has me set on the Speedzone Fairway 3w. I considered the Big Tour long and hard. Ultimately, I’d rather have a club to hit off the deck as opposed to one I would use only off the tee.
Valid points. My 3w was my least used club last year as I didn’t have too much confidence in it. I really want to change that this year and I hit the standard 3W extremely well in my fitting.
But I love the idea of a 2nd tee option that everyone has said is pretty much a fairway finder for when the Driver goes off the rails. (See what I did there?:ROFLMAO:)

Valid points. My 3w was my least used club last year as I didn’t have too much confidence in it. I really want to change that this year and I hit the standard 3W extremely well in my fitting.
But I love the idea of a 2nd tee option that everyone has said is pretty much a fairway finder for when the Driver goes off the rails. (See what I did there?:ROFLMAO:)
You could go hardcore OL like me and pick up an extra Big Tour, have that + 3w + 5w all same length/SW, boom. Ok I know that's a little crazy but I love it in my limited time doing it.

This is the one SZ club I'm really intrigued to try. I haven't seen in anywhere in my travels yet though. I'm really curious if I could play it well off the deck or not, because I've really enjoyed my Mini One so far like that.

I really have considered this for myself too but like so many others here 3w is a club I want to hit off the tee and the fairway. Recently set my F8 to 14.5* from 16* and have been using more off the tee Arccos Smart Dist is showing at 238yds with 70% fairways hit. I feel pretty good about that I guess.

Back