Cobra KING SPEEDZONE Hybrids and Fairway Woods

Is the Helium only available in lite flex? I'm unsure from the wording of the press release

Is the Helium only available in lite flex? I'm unsure from the wording of the press release

I am guessing that the Helium flexes not listed will be available as a no-upcharge custom. I think the Helium stiff was not standard in the F9, either, but very much part of the lineup.

Have an idea, curious what opinions the forum would have on it. Couple thing for those who haven't followed me- I'm all in on ONE Length, and I've always struggled hitting my driver well, and have played my best golf when benching it in favor of my 3 wood off the tee. I am very comfortable hitting my 3/5 woods, both off the tee and off the deck, although I certainly have room for improvement from a consistency standpoint.

With the Big Tour coming out, it seems obvious that I should get one, loft at 12*, and use that as my driver. Then I'd have BT @12, 3w@15.5, 5w@19.5. Since I would like further consistency with my woods, the idea of going OL woods is intriguing. My current 3/5 woods are 43.5 and 43.0, so I think I would change them both to 43.25, then order the BT at that.

I'm curious what everyone would think about that? In my mind, I'd have to re-evaluate my lofts for gapping, but I know I would gain consistency across the board with all 3 clubs. For my current game, my 15.5* 3 wood is long enough off the tee when it's in the fairway, so I feel good about using the BT in that spot.

Have an idea, curious what opinions the forum would have on it. Couple thing for those who haven't followed me- I'm all in on ONE Length, and I've always struggled hitting my driver well, and have played my best golf when benching it in favor of my 3 wood off the tee. I am very comfortable hitting my 3/5 woods, both off the tee and off the deck, although I certainly have room for improvement from a consistency standpoint.

With the Big Tour coming out, it seems obvious that I should get one, loft at 12*, and use that as my driver. Then I'd have BT @12, 3w@15.5, 5w@19.5. Since I would like further consistency with my woods, the idea of going OL woods is intriguing. My current 3/5 woods are 43.5 and 43.0, so I think I would change them both to 43.25, then order the BT at that.

I'm curious what everyone would think about that? In my mind, I'd have to re-evaluate my lofts for gapping, but I know I would gain consistency across the board with all 3 clubs. For my current game, my 15.5* 3 wood is long enough off the tee when it's in the fairway, so I feel good about using the BT in that spot.

You know my thoughts, I think you should go for it and let us know how it works for you.

I think the Big Tour was designed for you specifically.

You know my thoughts, I think you should go for it and let us know how it works for you.

I think the Big Tour was designed for you specifically.
Since you've already had this in mind, follow up question for you: Should I switch up my shaft choices? I like the Smoke, but I feel like I'd be better off with 2 Smokes and adding another option, like a Helium or Atmos Blue. Then I can experiment with all the combinations and possibly add another weapon to my arsenal. Same length shaft gives the freedom to move around, but also makes me think it's a wasted opportunity if I just had 3 of the same Smoke shaft.

Since you've already had this in mind, follow up question for you: Should I switch up my shaft choices? I like the Smoke, but I feel like I'd be better off with 2 Smokes and adding another option, like a Helium or Atmos Blue. Then I can experiment with all the combinations and possibly add another weapon to my arsenal. Same length shaft gives the freedom to move around, but also makes me think it's a wasted opportunity if I just had 3 of the same Smoke shaft.

If your goal is consistency, through swinging one length, I would think the logic also applies to shafts. Why throw in another shaft that will feel different, load differently, etc?

Unless you were fit for the smoke I would say yes. Having seen your swing I'm not sure the smoke is the right choice for you but I am clearly no expert.

I am so stupid excited to hit the big tour fairway.

I think it may be the best offering in the whole line. I would love to go driver, big tour, then my Utility iron... Awesome.

If your goal is consistency, through swinging one length, I would think the logic also applies to shafts. Why throw in another shaft that will feel different, load differently, etc?
I would tend to agree with this, but see below...
Unless you were fit for the smoke I would say yes. Having seen your swing I'm not sure the smoke is the right choice for you but I am clearly no expert.
That's a big reason I'm debating shafts. I self fit into Smoke, out of Atmos Blue, Black, Helium, Smoke, Aldila options, before MC. I think Helium or Atmos Blue would theoretically be a better fit, but, I felt a lot more stability and comfort with the Smoke, much more than the others. And when I'm swinging well, it works well, although I'd prefer a higher launch. One thing in my head is that some recent swing tweaks have resulted in a noticeably higher launch, so I think when I'm able to practice again, that the Smoke will be a better fit than it previously was. But alas, I'm further from being an expert than you are!

That's a big reason I'm debating shafts. I self fit into Smoke, out of Atmos Blue, Black, Helium, Smoke, Aldila options, before MC. I think Helium or Atmos Blue would theoretically be a better fit, but, I felt a lot more stability and comfort with the Smoke, much more than the others. And when I'm swinging well, it works well, although I'd prefer a higher launch. One thing in my head is that some recent swing tweaks have resulted in a noticeably higher launch, so I think when I'm able to practice again, that the Smoke will be a better fit than it previously was. But alas, I'm further from being an expert than you are!

My comment was not so much directed at whether the correct shaft is the Smoke, but whether all three shafts should be the same, although I presumed that the Smoke was one that you know works for you. I would not be surprised if the Atmos Blue is a better fit, but whatever shaft you choose, I think if your goal is to achieves something similar to the OL concept, all shafts should be the same. JMO.

My comment was not so much directed at whether the correct shaft is the Smoke, but whether all three shafts should be the same, although I presumed that the Smoke was one that you know works for you. I would not be surprised if the Atmos Blue is a better fit, but whatever shaft you choose, I think if your goal is to achieves something similar to the OL concept, all shafts should be the same. JMO.
Gotcha. I definitely agree with your line of thinking, and if left on my own, I would have the same shaft in all 3. Just curious what the smarter minds (including yourself) would say, and I think you nailed it.

What would be your uses for the woods? I think you get specs and weight right then you go with maybe Smoke or a more penetrating flight in the big tour since you would primarily use it off the tee then for a higher launching flight into greens go with helium or a higher launching shaft. If as I mentioned specs and weight are correct - then the variable should be the launch. I don't believe BAD has three of the same shafts in his woods either.

Don't think they can knock the EF 3W out of the bag but I was a huge F7 fan and have been waiting for Cobra to bring out something that can compete with those. Can't wait to hit these. Think the big tour is probably a little outside my wheelhouse, but no reason I can't hit it and see!

What would be your uses for the woods? I think you get specs and weight right then you go with maybe Smoke or a more penetrating flight in the big tour since you would primarily use it off the tee then for a higher launching flight into greens go with helium or a higher launching shaft. If as I mentioned specs and weight are correct - then the variable should be the launch. I don't believe BAD has three of the same shafts in his woods either.
Great question, and the true answer is unknown. But I can explain current use and what I'd hope to gain by trying this triple-OL idea.

Currently, I use 3w off the tee unless it's a weird 220ish yard hole, then 5w. I will hit both though. Off the deck (/fairway advancer), I typically hit the 5w, although I have hit the 3 occasionally. I just have more confidence with the 5. I don't yet trust either of them to hit a green, but that's something I hope to gain with added consistency. Right now I'm better off leaving a 5i short and chipping up, than getting into trouble greenside.

With the BT, that would obviously be the driver. So then it's figuring out what to do with the 3 and 5. It would seem good to have one I could land and stop, and another than is lower and runs out. Having the 3w run out seems pointless, since it would just be similar but shorter than the BT. So maybe 3w for high trajectory and landing, and 5w to fly low and run out a bit?

Assuming matching swing weights, I would absolutely love if it was possible to get the head weights to also match, and be able to move shafts around freely. I don't think that would be possible with a Helium/Smoke combo, but it should be with a Atmos Blue/Smoke combo. The question is, would that create enough of a launch difference to make it worthwhile? Obviously could play around with lofts too. I should run over to Vans and get the head weights for my F9s, and see if they're close enough to match with different weight inserts. 3w head is 209g and 5w is 215. Makes sense, 6g for 1/2" extra shaft.

This is the exact sort of thought process I love hearing from others about, because I'll ponder it, but don't know enough to really make a decision.

Last edited:
Great question, and the true answer is unknown. But I can explain current use and what I'd hope to gain by trying this triple-OL idea.

Currently, I use 3w off the tee unless it's a weird 220ish yard hole, then 5w. I will hit both though. Off the deck (/fairway advancer), I typically hit the 5w, although I have hit the 3 occasionally. I just have more confidence with the 5. I don't yet trust either of them to hit a green, but that's something I hope to gain with added consistency. Right now I'm better off leaving a 5i short and chipping up, than getting into trouble greenside.

With the BT, that would obviously be the driver. So then it's figuring out what to do with the 3 and 5. It would seem good to have one I could land and stop, and another than is lower and runs out. Having the 3w run out seems pointless, since it would just be similar but shorter than the BT. So maybe 3w for high trajectory and landing, and 5w to fly low and run out a bit?

Assuming matching swing weights, I would absolutely love if it was possible to get the head weights to also match, and be able to move shafts around freely. I don't think that would be possible with a Helium/Smoke combo, but it should be with a Atmos Blue/Smoke combo. The question is, would that create enough of a launch difference to make it worthwhile? Obviously could play around with lofts too. I should run over to Vans and get the head weights for my F9s, and see if they're close enough to match with different weight inserts.

This is the exact sort of thought process I love hearing from others about, because I'll ponder it, but don't know enough to really make a decision.

I think your ponder is a great piece of conversation, could influence people into something they wouldn’t try and going with a setup that could work for them because someone else brings it up.

I definitely want to try the Big Tour and the Tour fairway, but I maybe going with a hybrid in the 19* spot

I think your ponder is a great piece of conversation, could influence people into something they wouldn’t try and going with a setup that could work for them because someone else brings it up.

I definitely want to try the Big Tour and the Tour fairway, but I maybe going with a hybrid in the 19* spot
Just got back from Vans and the head weights are exactly what you'd guess. 6g difference, keeping the same SW with 1/2" longer shaft. So it will be easy to get all 3 clubs to match SW wise, and would presumably feel identical if they all had the same shaft.

I'm definitely doing this, going OL (and all the nuances of it) for all 3 woods. Now it's just a matter of making sure I do it optimally. That's where all the awesome and knowledgeable people here come into play, in addition to reaching out to Yags and getting his thoughts.

@OITW, what thoughts do you have around the potential 3/5 usage that I laid out? I'd love hearing feedback and ideas from others, especially since the game elements I'm hoping to accomplish are totally new for me. Craiggers votes to match them, I'm guessing you'll say to add something different?

Hate double quoting you, but LOVE the underlined, because that's exactly how I feel about OL (irons), and it will definitely be interesting to see how this goes.

@phoffer what are expecting as a difference between the 2 3 woods.

You already said you primarily use the 5 wood from the turf, would the utility of the middle 3 wood be worth it over say another wedge or a 7 wood? The one length for woods is interesting. Not a route I would go, but am intrigued to hear how your experiment goes.

I really like the idea of the big tour being used as a near driver replacement. I really want one for that second tee option.

@phoffer what are expecting as a difference between the 2 3 woods.

You already said you primarily use the 5 wood from the turf, would the utility of the middle 3 wood be worth it over say another wedge or a 7 wood? The one length for woods is interesting. Not a route I would go, but am intrigued to hear how your experiment goes.

I really like the idea of the big tour being used as a near driver replacement. I really want one for that second tee option.
BT lofted at 12 for "driver" and 3w at 15.5, for the difference of the 2 3-woods. For the utility of the middle 3, that's what I'm trying to figure out in here. I like the idea of one club to land and stop, and one to stay low and run out (out of the 3 and 5 woods). But I'm not sure if that's feasible or optimal. Worst case is just then an extra club and distance option from the turf.

I think going BT/3/5 is better than adding a 7 wood. As for wedges, I have the only two options for OL. Maybe I get a different grind on a standard wedge, with a long shaft, and drill out some weight from the head, for a super specialized club. But I think I'd have minimal usage for that in my current game.

Fwiw if I could drive a ball like you do, I'd be more than happy to bomb away a driver :D Thanks for the interest in this idea though! It will be really fun to see how it works out.

I think the hybrids look really, really good, can't wait to see them hit the shops. I love how they visually match the driver and fairways, but with their own matte finish and the shape looks promising to my eye.

I think the hybrids look really, really good, can't wait to see them hit the shops. I love how they visually match the driver and fairways, but with their own matte finish and the shape looks promising to my eye.

aesthetically they nailed them, the success I’ve had with the F9 4i has me wondering if I can see comparable accuracy with one of (see similar lofted) hybos

aesthetically they nailed them, the success I’ve had with the F9 4i has me wondering if I can see comparable accuracy with one of (see similar lofted) hybos

After smoking @BigDill OL Speedback 5-iron in FLA I had to throw both a Speedzone 2h and SpeedZone 4i in the MC WITB... they both look so interesting :)

Back