Cobra KING SPEEDZONE Irons

Another round in with Speedzone irons and
4 rounds in, and I think I may have a big yardage gap opening up between the 7- and 8-iron. I have popped some big ones with this 7-iron so far.

I really didn't understand "forgiveness" until now, either, mostly because I haven't played a lot of different irons in my life. Night and day compared to what these replaced.
Finding the same with gapping 5 rounds in. Hit a 7 iron 206 yards yesterday on a 160 yard par 3 :ROFLMAO: ... Oops

These irons really go when struck well. Shots like that are making it difficult to figure out gapping. Arccos is helping with it, but when I have outlier shots it messes with smart distances a bit. Not concerned until I have 10-12 rounds and then see what it's saying.

This combo with the Catalyst 80 is a good one! How does a 243 yard 4i off the tee sound? Good right? haha. Also hit it off the deck once today with a much lower ball flight but wasn't as hard as I would have thought. I love this club!

D41E8256-E3DC-4FC1-950C-5B6E44AD2D59.png

This combo with the Catalyst 80 is a good one! How does a 243 yard 4i off the tee sound? Good right? haha. Also hit it off the deck once today with a much lower ball flight but wasn't as hard as I would have thought. I love this club!

View attachment 8942961
That is deep. Does that go further than your 2H?

That is deep. Does that go further than your 2H?
I don't think that will be my average....smart distance is currently 226 on Arccos. I haven't hit the hybrid off the tee yet and not sure I ever will but yes this is currently about 10 yards farther than my 2H :oops:

As I mentioned in the happy thread my range finally opened up and I was able to get out there this evening to hit my irons for the first time ahead of this weeks rain that Ohio is going to bless us with.

One of the joys of the ONE concept is to work on your irons you only really need to swing one club, since they are all the same length. As such I focused most of this session on getting acquainted with the “short” irons. New to me this year in terms of set makeup the GW/SW/LW all in the OL line.

The gap I saw from last year going OL/VL was a major contributing factor in me pulling the trigger on the wedges for the MC. On the first run through at the range that gap I was experiencing last year is gone. They gapped out near perfectly as I ran through and distances being similar to what I had expected from PW to the LW.

Where I need to spend much more time is going to be on getting the partial swings dialed in. I do a bit of a modified Pelz clock configuration to lock in the wedges. So more to come there but initially I’m in love with the wedges.

For giggles I did end up hitting the other irons as well just to run through them and I’d say based on the few swings they are going to be about 1/2 club longer than the F9’s from last year. Nothing earth shattering and something that will take no time to get accustomed.

The last piece to mention, is the 4i. I had heard/read a lot of the feedback from folks here and of course @Canadan who keeps claiming that his still hasn’t landed from the other day. My F9 4i was my “find a fairway club” and it appears that the SZ will be the exact same thing, just a bit further down the fairway. First swing with it tonight was a nice little draw that got out to about 220ish. Can definitely live with that haha.

more to come as I get them out on the course in the next week.

As I mentioned in the happy thread my range finally opened up and I was able to get out there this evening to hit my irons for the first time ahead of this weeks rain that Ohio is going to bless us with.

One of the joys of the ONE concept is to work on your irons you only really need to swing one club, since they are all the same length. As such I focused most of this session on getting acquainted with the “short” irons. New to me this year in terms of set makeup the GW/SW/LW all in the OL line.

The gap I saw from last year going OL/VL was a major contributing factor in me pulling the trigger on the wedges for the MC. On the first run through at the range that gap I was experiencing last year is gone. They gapped out near perfectly as I ran through and distances being similar to what I had expected from PW to the LW.

Where I need to spend much more time is going to be on getting the partial swings dialed in. I do a bit of a modified Pelz clock configuration to lock in the wedges. So more to come there but initially I’m in love with the wedges.

For giggles I did end up hitting the other irons as well just to run through them and I’d say based on the few swings they are going to be about 1/2 club longer than the F9’s from last year. Nothing earth shattering and something that will take no time to get accustomed.

The last piece to mention, is the 4i. I had heard/read a lot of the feedback from folks here and of course @Canadan who keeps claiming that his still hasn’t landed from the other day. My F9 4i was my “find a fairway club” and it appears that the SZ will be the exact same thing, just a bit further down the fairway. First swing with it tonight was a nice little draw that got out to about 220ish. Can definitely live with that haha.

Yeah, I am loving that SZ 4i off the tee.

Is the 4 iron easy to hit off the deck or is it better for tee shots?

I've only hit it once off the deck so far. It still had good distance but on this particular swing it was a much lower ball flight than off the tee.

That is so good my friend. Glad you’re finally able to get out there.

I can’t speak on the course just yet, but at the range just as easy as any other club in my bag. Oh the joys of a 7i length 4 iron hah.

Never tried a one length 4 iron I have played a few rounds with one length irons before

I can’t speak on the course just yet, but at the range just as easy as any other club in my bag. Oh the joys of a 7i length 4 iron hah.
I tried hitting that 7i length 4i during testing and it was a complete disaster haha

I tried hitting that 7i length 4i during testing and it was a complete disaster haha
Hahaha it took a couple tries for me to get used to it last year, but once we were there...money!!

Few more rounds in with the Speedzone irons and continuing the work to get them gapped. With each and every round amazed at how good these feel. The sound on a well struck shot is just beautiful :ROFLMAO:.

Play with irons tonight after work I like them forgiving look good they have bright shine to them top line not really big until mid irons the blade not huge like some believe I’ll like them couldn’t really tell about distance yet I’ll know more by Monday I’ll update again. I got 5-sw but not using the sand I use to buy I have a Cleveland cbx 2 54. I still like to try forged Tec sometime. I may also buy a 4 iron.

Love that you went OL wedges and especially love that they look like they will work perfectly for you!!

What an awesome write up mate, great read. Glad you managed to get out and hit some balls, sounds like they're going to work beautifully. Looking forward to seeing them in action before too long I hope.

Order a 4 iron graphite regular length not sure what will happen after that we will see also still like the speedzone irons play again tomorrow still haven’t hit the forged tec yet they sure are pretty

Had another round with the Cobra Speedzones yesterday. The way I have been driving lately with a miss right the most common, it seems I am using hybrids more to help get me out of some trouble which then leads more to a wedge shot than an iron needed on approaches.

Moved up a tee box to see if that may bring irons more into play. Not exactly as planned but, got a few more iron shots in during the round.

This one here though, felt so good. A beautiful 5 iron low stinger that had a bit of a fade to it and rolled up on the green.

B5E76E15-0ACE-47A5-B36E-58166C743EF3.jpeg

The SZ 4i looks like is going to make an appearance in tomorrow's bag. Its probably going to get a fair amount of use on the tight driving course.

These get out to the course tomorrow and I couldn’t be more excited to get a chance to test them out on course!!

Another round in today - these irons are LEGIT. FREAKING GOOD.

Years ago, when the G25s were out, they were the rage for GI irons. The SpeedZones are a class above that - even better, stupid easy to hit, great turf interaction, silly long and stupid forgiving as hell. You really, really have to screw it up super bad to be punished.

I am really liking these ESX Recoil shafts, handle my swing pretty well. Not loose at all, pretty consistent ball flight especially with the higher irons and definitely super benefit of saving me pain from the golfers elbow.

I think I'll play them the rest of the year and bench my P790s for a while. Screw the looks if these SZ irons hit this FREAKING good :)

First time on the course with the Speedzone OL irons and I’m very happy with the first run. Distances were somewhat off but I had kind of expected that if I’m being honest.

So I will start with the wedges, which was my biggest concern because they are new to me. While my chipping is going to take some practice to get used to those touch shots, the full swings are exactly what I was hoping they’d be. Gaps appear to be almost dead on and I’m optimistic that the decision to go OL through the bag is going to pay off.

The mid and long irons performed just as I knew they would. Matter of fact there were a couple shots that surprised myself. Didn’t feel like I had put a good swing on the ball and still saw solid distance and accuracy.

looking forward to getting these dialed in a bit more and get some more feedback for everyone!

The 4 iron in this set, for me, is still one of the dumbest (awesome) things I've experienced this year haha

240 with neutral wind and I need to stick one? 4 iron.
Short par 4 and I need a fairway? 4 iron.

I've been rotating another 4 iron vs hybrid in and out of the bag and I'm at a loss as to whether either are even needed with this club.

Back