Cobra KING SPEEDZONE Irons

I love this 4 iron so damn much.

Crazy easy to hit with a smooth simple swing. Forgiving enough that my distance isn't overly damaged on less than perfect. Mid'ish flight with the Rogue shaft combo. It's just basically easy mode off tighter par 4's.

Is it primarily a tee club for you or are you also using it as an approach option on par 5’s?

Is it primarily a tee club for you or are you also using it as an approach option on par 5’s?
Comfortably a 235-240 club off the deck on neutral wind.

Mostly off the tee for me, though. I can use it on 4-5 holes at my home course and be in great position for the green.

Comfortably a 235-240 club off the deck on neutral wind.

Mostly off the tee for me, though. I can use it on 4-5 holes at my home course and be in great position for the green.
I used my 4i on 4 holes off the tee my last round and I was in the middle of the fairway 3 times, right rough once. All gave me a look at the green. I didnt always convert, but I was also not punching out or taking a penalty! So glad I picked this one up and put it in the bag!

My Speedzone 4i just arrived! I never actually got to see one in the wild b/c the stores near me stopped their display sets at the 5i for some reasons. but enough research let me feel confident enough that for my 4i experiment, and current hole in my bag, this was the 4i for me. I'm playing 18 tomorrow morning so I'll put it to the test.

according to Arccos, my 5i is averaging 195. When I use it off the tee, it pushes that out to 210-215 range. (distance aided my AZ heat to an extent) My 5W and 4H have cratered, as my iron swing got better. So I'm hoping that this 4i will fill at least a part of that void.

One thing that I have not seen is a comparison to the Ping irons. I have the G410 line. Here are a few images of the SpeedZone next to my G410 5i. I have the non-power loft, G410. So the loft of the 5i is 23.5. It's a big jump up to the 19* 4i. I've put the UST Recoil ESX 460 F4 on to help with the launch.

0DE70D21-6FA6-4099-BE12-117CF2E45EED.jpegEB2BCE71-4847-44C6-86B2-D625AA0A5FD4.jpeg8EB023F2-8AFB-4172-8AFE-6895A8F9F673.jpeg9CC8E1C2-EBEE-40F8-9711-0E0B52FF530F.jpeg77B15FCE-CD66-42E3-AA83-B4EA5FD53020.jpeg

I was able t to get out and play 18 this morning. I was able to use the 4i two times off the tee and 5 times in fairway/light rough. First impressions, I'm very impressed. My swing is in a not so good state, so I'm throwing out a shot from each set. I'm really really going to like this club. I've not reached my full potential with this, but am thoroughly impressed. When I made good contact..."The Smoosh is Real" @Jman.

This is my first on course swing. it's the hardest hole on my home course. I've never pared it before. I gave a good run at the 12 ft birdie putt, but 18 inch comeback for par had me ecstatic. I didn't get this ball clean. but I managed a slight drawing stinger that finished in near perfect position.

1595621446716.png

The four decent swings from fairway and light rough, were 197, 217, 228, and 207 yards, all online. As mentioned in the previous post I have the Recoil ESX 460 F4 on this club. I play Ping AWT 2.0 S flex in my irons. With midsize grips the Speedzone matches up to them in swing weight, on paper. I play +1/2 length and up three degrees on my Pings. I only had this 4i bent up to match. It's stock length would be match my Pings 4i progression so no need to added the +1/2 for me.

The club feels lighter in my hands and effortless to swing. When I get it right. I can't wait to see this club on a good swing day. As is it is filling the void I needed to fill. 5W/ 4H are on indefinite time out.

Last edited:
Another round where the 4i impressed. 2 great shots off the tee on tigh par 4's. Just such a game changer for my game. Usually struggle on these 2 holes, but had 2 pars today, thanks to the Speedzone setting me up!

Another round where the 4i impressed. 2 great shots off the tee on tigh par 4's. Just such a game changer for my game. Usually struggle on these 2 holes, but had 2 pars today, thanks to the Speedzone setting me up!
the 4i is sooooo good!

the 4i is sooooo good!
Took a while to get used to the lighter graphite shaft, but now that I have I feel like I can get after it and the shaft and head will provide stability to go long off the tee with accuracy.

Still enjoying my Speedzone irons. I just talked a good friend of mine and he got the One Length Speedzone irons. He doesn't play much so I figured the simplicity of the One Lengths is just right for his occasional-golf-swing.

Yes, these irons are SO GOOD. As I posted in the THP Speedzone & Extreme driver thread - my Pars & Stripes Speedzone driver is just SMOKING HOT today on the course. 75, not too shabby.

Great thread, great irons. Keep'em posting (y)

Looking at my performance with the OL irons so far this year, I've improved in many areas over last year, but still have plenty of room to improve.

I made the switch to OL irons last year with the F9 set. As I've mentioned I kept the VL wedges in my bag and didn't dive in head first. Really wanted to give myself a chance to find out IF I like the OL before going all in. As such gapping was a problem and I struggled a bit from my PW to the 50° I carried last year. So I rolled the dice this year, thanks to the Morgan Cup and went full OL from the 4i all the way to my LW. Here's the results so far:

1596822893190.png

32% about on par with what I saw last year. I've started using the Arccos caddie for suggestions much more often and it's helped immensely over the last few rounds. Where I'm loving the things a lot more is in my decision to introduce the OL wedges to the set. They have gapped almost perfectly and I feel so much more confident standing over the wedges than last year.

I've seen some folks ask about usage of the clubs- to see if I'm using one more than another so here's what I've seen thus far. (full disclosure my total rounds are way down this year comparatively speaking- FU Covid)

1596823571926.png

Have had good success so far this year, and look forward to seeing how the rest of the year turns out.

@Nate<80 how about that that Speedzone 4i + Catalyst combo ;).

This damn 4i is so good! If I had one single complaint I wish I could get a little lower flight off the tee but thats about it. I'm using it as a driving iron and not as a 4i since I rarely hit it off the ground but everything you need is there.

This damn 4i is so good! If I had one single complaint I wish I could get a little lower flight off the tee but thats about it. I'm using it as a driving iron and not as a 4i since I rarely hit it off the ground but everything you need is there.

Playing it at stock loft?

Playing it at stock loft?
Yes. It goes plenty far enough and to be fair it is designed as a 4i and not a driving iron but man is so easy to hit

Yes. It goes plenty far enough and to be fair it is designed as a 4i and not a driving iron but man is so easy to hit

I requested mine built 2* strong because several stories of the relatively high launch. Cant wait to try it.

Take all these stories from the 4i and just change the iron number from 5i all the way down to the GW and everything is the same.

IMG_20200819_200652.jpgIMG_20200819_200703.jpg

Took awhile but I finally got a Graphite shaft put into this beast.

This thing should be a riot.

I really have figured out what I’m doing with these irons. Not the norm distance on this, but still.

I’ve really inconsistent with the hybrids and I’ve been toying with dropping them and adding in a 4/5 iron. What do you guys think. Do I add the 4 in with the shaft I was fitted for or go with one of the graphite shafts people have been putting in their 4?

Attachments

• 63ACAFB3-6014-44BF-A4AE-D1386FC94432.jpeg
    63ACAFB3-6014-44BF-A4AE-D1386FC94432.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 14
@M2Giles @Nate<80 @jdtox @jlew2144 @mtbloco @gkeller813 @Canadan @OITW

Tried to tag a few of you guys for your thoughts/input.

I’ve had a terrible time with my driver and all of a sudden I can’t hit my hybrids and fairway wood off the tee to save my life. So I’ve decided to take out my hybrids and replace them with the 5 iron and 4 iron. But I’m not sure what I should do with the shafts. I plan on putting the kbs v tour steel into the 5 iron that I got fit for. However, I’m stuck on the 4 iron shaft. I’m going to be using it as a driving iron and wonder if it would be worth putting one of the graphite options into it.
Any thoughts.

I’ve had a terrible time with my driver and all of a sudden I can’t hit my hybrids and fairway wood off the tee to save my life. So I’ve decided to take out my hybrids and replace them with the 5 iron and 4 iron. But I’m not sure what I should do with the shafts. I plan on putting the kbs v tour steel into the 5 iron that I got fit for. However, I’m stuck on the 4 iron shaft. I’m going to be using it as a driving iron and wonder if it would be worth putting one of the graphite options into it.
Any thoughts.
I have a graphite shaft in my 4 iron and LOVE it. (Not really a 4 iron, strong lofted Speedzone 4).

It's all but completely replaced my hybrid and absolutely hammers the ball.

Any thoughts.
I have a PX Catalyst in mine and I think it’s a fantastic fit. I imagine a hybrid shaft would work easily.

Any thoughts.

i have the same issue as you. My ability to hit a FW and hybrid is completely gone.

I went with the stock Recoil ESX 460 F4 in my SpeedZone. I love this club! Arccos has me with a 201 average. And in the 220-225 range off the tee.

it’s light shaft. But works so well. For reference my G410 irons have pings AMT 2.0 104g shafts.

Last edited:

Any thoughts.
I have the Catalyst 80 in the Speedzone 4i I use mainly off the tee. Really like how consistent it is for me, and when you catch it right it goes! Lighter weight, but still stable shaft, lets me really get after it!

Back