Cobra KING Supersport 35 Putter

It’s too late, unless you can start putting left handed. It appears that Cobra has sold out the right handed version.
I did that for an entire season......

But that solves that problem :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: J4U
I have finally had a chance to read through most of the thread, and I have to say.. Some of these knee jerk reactions are pretty funny.

First, you can say all you want about looks, and that's totally fine - but that's entirely personal. I related it to another brand who is trying to do things in their own way with perimeter weighting, and there's really only one basic structural build profile that accomplishes that (bulk in height). If you don't like the idea of tech forward blade-ish shapes, it's not for you.

Second, to make any claims about the benefits of 3D printing without fully reading into it is laughable. This is about introducing structural stability into locations that benefit from reduced weighting (read: not hollow anymore) which will undoubtedly alter the sound profile and feedback of a head. This can go from divot tool to driver and I would bet we haven't even scratched the surface on potential. Claiming it's snake oil or a cheap gimmick, with all due respect, is being ignorant on basic technological potential. Also, just like any new technology, it's not going to be cheap - but I don't think that actually means it will stay that way. More people figure out how to do it, and refine the process, and suddenly it's in line with what we want. Also, it opens the door to a potentially localized manufacturing process, and that is kind of badass.

Third, to the 'reviewers' aka opinionators out there who are writing it off... Frankly, if that's all it takes for you to decide on a product, this kind of stuff isn't for you... Especially when some of them have a history of devaluing products based on their manufacturers. It's kind of pathetic, really.

I had a fun chat with someone on twitter last night debating whether 3D printing and all the fancy lingo brought to the table by Cobra for this release is just snake oil and etc.. It made me think hard about why I am so excited to see different types of tech get incorporated into the game of golf (AI, 3D printing, recently declassified materials, etc) and frankly, it's just effing exciting.

3D printing allows for massively expedited prototyping, which means tweaks to the more finite things like sound and weight placement are going to become way easier. How that could ever be conceived as a bad thing is beyond my comprehension, but I'm over here twitching like a lunatic waiting to see what comes next.

I've got lots of respect for Cobra going limited edition with their first 3D putter. They capped it at a very small number at a price that's more or less in line with popular models out there, and will more than likely sell out fast (feel free to tag me in a month if they still have some in stock) - which means you don't have any real reason to be upset with price.
With all that said, I am way more excited about what COULD be coming.

I’ve said it with the MIM Tour and will again, that “reviewer” is on drugs with his “reviews” and has been for years now, particularly when it comes to Cobra.
Indeed he seems to have something in for Cobra.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I had a fun chat with someone on twitter last night debating whether 3D printing and all the fancy lingo brought to the table by Cobra for this release is just snake oil and etc.. It made me think hard about why I am so excited to see different types of tech get incorporated into the game of golf (AI, 3D printing, recently declassified materials, etc) and frankly, it's just effing exciting.

3D printing allows for massively expedited prototyping, which means tweaks to the more finite things like sound and weight placement are going to become way easier. How that could ever be conceived as a bad thing is beyond my comprehension, but I'm over here twitching like a lunatic waiting to see what comes next.

I've got lots of respect for Cobra going limited edition with their first 3D putter. They capped it at a very small number at a price that's more or less in line with popular models out there, and will more than likely sell out fast (feel free to tag me in a month if they still have some in stock) - which means you don't have any real reason to be upset with price.
Future is very bright.

I know many on social are mentioning National Custom for doing 3D printed putters first, but he’s been super complimentary of Cobra and the fact that it legitimizes the process by having an OEM on board. I truly think in 2-3 years we see many in the 3D printing game.

Is it sad that someone said divot tool and that was actually going to push me over the edge to buy one? LOL.

Good thing they're sold out in RH. It's not something I need right now, but I agree with a lot of the others - super excited about this technology.

I love the idea of the amount of prototypes they can go through, and the speed at which they can make them.

I don't know if I'm crazy, but I have this vision of going in for a putter fitting, getting some data on your swing, your visual preferences, then Cobra custom making a 3D printed putter for me. 1 of 1. Whether it's right there is front of you, or sending it to a regional location, either would be cool. Custom fit, custom made, just for you.

You have said some important things in your two posts. Frankly, the reason that I bought one of these is to be able to have a putter from the very first release from a major manufacturer of equipment made from a metal jet printer. I think it is WAY cool as a story. It clearly will lead to other improved product. Anybody knocking it simply doesn’t understand the significance of it, imo.

As far as the pricing, it’s simple economics. Obviously, there was more than enough demand at the price set, given that the right handed models are sold out. Whether this has the same value as a mass produced Scotty is purely subjective and, guess what, the vote is in that the price was not too high.

Just got shipping notification that mine should hopefully be here Saturday!

regarding the price of these, if you go in the announcement on Cobra’s Facebook and you have people calling those who bought these, the”whales” in the industry. I don’t know about the rest of you that bought these but I’m far from a whale when it comes to what I can and can’t buy regarding golf equipment.

I didn’t think this price was out of line with what was being offered. I respect the innovation and highly respect the company putting it out. Price is too subjective. I’d much rather spend this on a product that is pushing the boundaries than a Scotty just for the sake of having a Scotty.

You have said some important things in your two posts. Frankly, the reason that I bought one of these is to be able to have a putter from the very first release from a major manufacturer of equipment made from a metal jet printer. I think it is WAY cool as a story. It clearly will lead to other improved product. Anybody knocking it simply doesn’t understand the significance of it, imo.

As far as the pricing, it’s simple economics. Obviously, there was more than enough demand at the price set, given that the right handed models are sold out. Whether this has the same value as a mass produced Scotty is purely subjective and, guess what, the vote is in that the price was not too high.
Everything you said in the first paragraph is why I bought one. Even if I don't putt well with it there will be some value (at least to me) to have a first edition of something that I also believe will be instrumental in future products. It's just a cool story and I'm excited to see where it leads.

I’m really honestly pissed I didn’t pull the trigger.

I love everything about this. This is the perfect way for Cobra to get back into putters.

My worries are mostly in the 3D printing method itself, but I'm sure its nothing that can't be (or hasn't already been) taken care of. The benefit, from a construction standpoint, of 3D printing like this is that you can have internal structure within one solid piece. It looks like they would have to always factor in a pathway for the excess metal powder to escape the finished product. If they don't ever want to have sealed internal cavities like that, its not really an issue. This is why the back looks like it does, I think. I know Cobra love visible tech and design around featuring it, so I don't see this being that big of a deal. That being said, doing it this way kind of removes the biggest benefit of additive construction methods like 3D printing.

The finish on raw 3d printed parts like this is always going to be a little rough. You're going to see layer lines, its never going to be perfect unless you spend time cleaning it up. For prototyping, not a big deal. For Cobra's production, they're adding time, equipment, and man hours which again is kind of removing the benefit of 3D printing. The finish is kind of a lose lose for Cobra. Its either going to have that 3D printed look (visible tech for them, but a rough finish) or they're going to have to invest in the product's finish.

I'm also curious to know what kind of heat treating they do to the heads after printing, if at all.

3D printing is 100% one of the coolest technologies out there right now, and there are some mind-bending things that can be achieved with it that are simply not possible with any subtractive construction method. I'm a HUGE fan, and a HUGE fan of Cobra. I'm fully confident that they're going to be able to make something with 3D printing that will totally change high MOI putter design, but the technology itself has a long way to go. I can't wait until this makes its way into drivers / hollow headed clubs more. I almost see more of a benefit in that category than putters, but that is probably one of the reasons they're making a living designing golf clubs and I'm.... not. I am going to remain patient, and if I get the chance to buy one of these for a little less than they are now - I'm definitely going to pounce on it.

I’m really honestly pissed I didn’t pull the trigger.

Same. I had it in the cart like 3 or 4 times, but I just didn't follow through. Now I'm kicking myself.

Well it looks like I got ahead of myself listening to the original arrival date on fedex :( won’t be here till Tuesday now instead of tomorrow. So I feel like I’m for sure out of the running for “first THPer to get it”

Back