Cobra KING Tour Irons with MIM Technology

Thanks Tenputt. 👍
Got my U S Treasury $600 and am pondering these MIM irons, Wilson Staff CB's & TM P7MC irons. Should have the custom ordered Ping G710 early Feb but want to hit those 3 irons at our PGASS later in the week if the demo's are available.

Thanks Tenputt. 👍
Got my U S Treasury $600 and am pondering these MIM irons, Wilson Staff CB's & TM P7MC irons. Should have the custom ordered Ping G710 early Feb but want to hit those 3 irons at our PGASS later in the week if the demo's are available.
These. Trust me. These.

Thanks Tenputt. 👍
I know which way I would go.

In the bag and ready to go...... Just a shame everywhere is completed closed due to lockdown (UK)

Can not wait to get out again
IMG_20210109_184744.jpg

Just want to say this clearly.

Softest feeling irons I think I’ve ever hit.

Ever.

Just want to say this clearly.

Softest feeling irons I think I’ve ever hit.

Ever.
Just when I think I’ve decided to go for tech I read things like this and get sucked back in!

I took a look at these again at the store and man do I love the look at address. They're just the right size to give me confidence in having a little forgiveness but having a player profile.

Just when I think I’ve decided to go for tech I read things like this and get sucked back in!
They feel absolutely impeccable. And the durability is blowing my mind.

They feel absolutely impeccable. And the durability is blowing my mind.

I had to do a "double take" when I first hit them. It was a very unique feeling. To me, they are incredibly soft, but it's artificial soft. It doesn't feel like a soft forging where the ball seems to "stick" on the face. It's like I almost felt nothing, if that makes sense. The strike feels very muted. I don't dislike it, but there is a difference between a soft forging and these.

I had to do a "double take" when I first hit them. It was a very unique feeling. To me, they are incredibly soft, but it's artificial soft. It doesn't feel like a soft forging where the ball seems to "stick" on the face. It's like I almost felt nothing, if that makes sense. The strike feels very muted. I don't dislike it, but there is a difference between a soft forging and these.
We will definitely have to agree to disagree. IME, these have offered everything that both sets of my Miura’s have, with exponentially better durability. I just don’t sense anything “artificial” from it at all.

By artificial do you mean they are just masking/muting the sound so much to give that type of feeling? I've never heard that term before so curious.

We will definitely have to agree to disagree. IME, these have offered everything that both sets of my Miura’s have, with exponentially better durability. I just don’t sense anything “artificial” from it at all.

Absolutely, we all interpret feel/sound differently. Like I said, those were my personal feelings.

By artificial do you mean they are just masking/muting the sound so much to give that type of feeling? I've never heard that term before so curious.

From me personal experience with the irons, they are incredibly soft, dare I say "too soft". What I'm used to with a pure forging is that soft feel but we a backing of power behind it, these feel just really soft like they are masking the sound.

I don't have a lot of time in on them yet, but from the initial nitpicky reaction I shared after the first outing I can definitely get where @Summit is coming from. I think I only got them out twice before I switched it up a little, but I have them loaded and ready to go for tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

Oh, and the bag fell over onto some really crappy asphalt earlier, right against these head, and I swear they don't have a single scratch from it. I've looked. I mean, they looked like hell when I first picked it up, but a little rub and wipe and I can't even tell. At all. That's pretty impressive.

Oh, other update from before. When we did take the wedge back to the bending machine it was tough to move much further. We got it to where I wanted it thanks to the encouragement here, but it was done. Seemed like that one was noticeably tougher than the rest.

Last edited:
Well got a quick 9 in with them in glorious weather once again (34*, wet, and breezy). Those conditions forced me to lay off a little though, helped the shafts fit a little better, and let the heads shine.

It was brutal out there, but you'd never know you're hitting a frozen ball with them. That soft, thumpy feeling regardless and really predictable and consistent flights. Couple good 4i's off the tee, one from 213 in the fairway to 14', 151 to 5' from the rough, etc. That one from the rough was nice because I hadn't played them in real thick stuff much and the wider sole than I'm used to felt like a non-issue. That 4i into the last hole was from a very tight fairway lie and my typical AoA into cold turf felt fine too. 4i as a tee club isn't a perfect fit with those shafts for me, seems hard to knock a bunch of spin off, but just really enjoyable shots with them overall. Was nice. And one of the fellow crazy guys out there today mentioned how sharp they looked. They're noticeable in the bag.

Last edited:
@OldandStiff if u had to choose between these and the x-forged or zx7’s which way are you leaning? I’m guessing the apex pros will be in the mix as soon as they are released. Have you spent any time with the 921 tours or forged by chance?

@OldandStiff if u had to choose between these and the x-forged or zx7’s which way are you leaning? I’m guessing the apex pros will be in the mix as soon as they are released. Have you spent any time with the 921 tours or forged by chance?
Well until I play them enough to accumulate some data my leanings are mostly look and feel. And what I like the look and feel of isn't always what's best in the end. Even the end performance stuff is really just how they perform for me. For example, I love the look of these over the ball. They're phenomenal. They feel so soft and satisfying, but notice a small drawback for me within that. Have shot okay, and now really well with them in a very small sample. We'll see.. The X Forged I really don't like over the ball. Love the back, and the sole size and shape, and I went completely effing gonzo on a few scores with them recently. I hit them well. The look drives me bonkers though. lol The ZX7 I must like, because I'm working harder than I do with most to make them work well for me. They're not a perfect fit, but it seems I want them to be. Love the feel and feedback with them. So :confused2: If I had to guess which ones I'll hang onto for an extended period it would be P7MC (really good fit), X Forged (depending on the new Apex), Apex MB combo'd with them, and ZX7. There's so many good ones, and it probably won't be easy to give these up. They're really easy to like. Never know though. It's early for me and these.

I've hit the 921 forged some, and the 921 Tours a good amount. The forged aren't a great fit for me. My spin numbers are too low for what isn't a lot of distance gain, and as much as I love what they did with the short iron sole and shaping, the longer blade length irons aren't really my thing. Which is a shame, honestly. I love the feel of the Forged though. I could hit that fast feel all day long. The tours I like. Not in a way that necessarily made me want to get them, but I looked for a good deal for a bit. I'm confident I could play them pretty well.

Last edited:
In the bag and ready to go...... Just a shame everywhere is completed closed due to lockdown (UK)

Can not wait to get out again
View attachment 8987289
Those do look absolutely beautiful, I can't wait for things to open up a bit and get a fitting booked in.

It sounds like based on Wikipedia that MIM is a very precise form of metallurgy. They say it makes fabrication of very small very precise parts much better than other forms of fabrication. I understand the concerns on the molds, but maybe I don't understand why one would assume Cobra is just going to let their molds get out of whack without replacing them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_injection_molding

It sounds like based on Wikipedia that MIM is a very precise form of metallurgy. They say it makes fabrication of very small very precise parts much better than other forms of fabrication. I understand the concerns on the molds, but maybe I don't understand why one would assume Cobra is just going to let their molds get out of whack without replacing them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metal_injection_molding
Agreed. It seems like pure speculation. Any manufacturing process can be defective without quality control.

Agreed. It seems like pure speculation. Any manufacturing process can be defective without quality control.
It’s because it’s different and upsetting the Apple cart, a lot of people don’t like that.

Better than forged feel but with durability? Wins all around.

This is so true. I will use two settings.

Company A: Designs their own gear and has people in place in the manufacturing plants to check outcome.
Company B: Off the shelf designs with milling and subtle changes of an open design and doesn't check outcome until it arrives at office in US.

Nobody is questioning Company B (which is quite a few DTC companies) as it pertains to quality control. Cobra made a shift to milling of driver faces to eliminate the human variable of polishing. They have a track record of having people in place at manufacturing (good companies do) to do near constant checks on quality.

Both can be good, but its super unique to find QC questions without findings to get to the QC questions if that makes sense. It is not as if MIM is new and or the previous MIM wedges were flawed in QC.

Reality is, if it was another company doing this then it would be getting heralded and praised as being the future of irons....which imo it is, but because it’s Cobra it’s taken to a lesser degree which blows my mind given their R&D and clear quality control prowess.

I still want a set of these irons...

Back