I played these today and was really impressed. Very easy to hit in a far more traditional package than the Bafflers that came before. Many internet golfers, even Cobra fans will dismiss these and go straight for the King line but that would be a mistake. For $599 these are a bargain and deserve a look.

6e43181d3966be8b681349abc46de20b.jpg
c9e7bff45d9dbc00d3ddd22a63aa8a77.jpg
1082b04d34f5b7092c1ad94b0a479d06.jpg

Have you hit the Fly-Z XLs, and if so how do these compare in your mind?

I started out looking at the Max irons and realized I could find new Fly-Z XLs for anywhere from $200-$300 cheaper on eBay so now I'm torn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look a lot nicer than the Bafflers. I looked at the newer players lines and while they really look cool, I prefer the larger chunkier head. It'll be a while for something to kick my Bio Cells out of my bag.

Have you hit the Fly-Z XLs, and if so how do these compare in your mind?

I started out looking at the Max irons and realized I could find new Fly-Z XLs for anywhere from $200-$300 cheaper on eBay so now I'm torn.

I have hit every line since the AMP Forged came out 4-5 years ago. I still game a set of AMP Cells on occasion. This is the first time I would think of upgrading if I was in the market.

These look nice actually, and to have all that forgiveness in a 4-iron? Yes please. Price point looks good too!

JM

I love the looks of the whole Max line, and Cobra's SGI clubs have always been so easy to hit. I wonder how the turf interaction is with these vs. the Bafflers that would just plow through since a lot of higher cappers (like me) tend to miss fat.

And the price point is excellent for the quality that Cobra puts out.

I was actually fit for these irons yesterday. I hit the Callaway Apex, Callaway Big Bertha, Cobra King F6, and the Cobra Max.

The flight of the ball was much higher with the Max and so was my distance. I loved the sound of the ball coming off the face.

I hit my old 7 iron (Callaway X Hot) about 140 yards.

I hit the Cobra Max 7 iron 160 yards and about 10-20 feet higher.

I hit graphite shafts (regular and stiff) but hit it longer with a steel shaft.

So much for a senior golfer needing graphite shafts. Lol.

BTW, the clubs are beautiful!!

Thats awesome John. Glad you found something and look forward to your feedback.

John, that is fantastic. Sounds like you really found a set that jives well with you.

If I might ask what did you think of the F6?

As far as Cobra stuff goes, I really like the look of these irons.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I really liked the F6 irons. I hit them just about as long as the Max but couldn't get the height I wanted. If the F6's would have had more height they would be in my bag.

I really like the look of the Cobra irons at address. They gave me more confidence. Cobra has really improved their clubs which improves ours.

I already had a Cobra FLy-Z driver in my bag. I have been impressed with it so I choose to take a look at their irons. Wow! I am hoping my game improves over the next few months.

I bought my wife the Cobra Fly-Z XL's a few months ago. She is just a recreational player. She doesn't even keep score. She has been able to get the ball in the air a lot better with these irons.

We are a Cobra family. Lol

I will keep you posted.

I agree on the looks of these, far better than the older Baffler XL and I think these also look cleaner than the Fly Z XLs as well.

Hit a demo 7i today, up against the C200, D200, XR OS, and the GMax. In hand the club looks great, far better than the Baffler, definitely not as chunky. Good swing weight, nice feeling off the clubface. The ball just wants to go straight. I didn't hit it as far as the XR OS or the W/S offerings, but not by much, maybe 5-7 yards. I couldn't leak the ball to the right, at all. Just dead straight.

I see Cobra primarily markets the Max to seniors and women. What are any reasons why these may not be a good fit for a younger reasonably athletic guy? You can get these 8 clubs for $745 with 660 or 680 recoils per the Cobra site.

Dave

I see Cobra primarily markets the Max to seniors and women. What are any reasons why these may not be a good fit for a younger reasonably athletic guy? You can get these 8 clubs for $745 with 660 or 680 recoils per the Cobra site.

Dave
I actually just got to ask Tom Olsavsky (Cobra VP of R&D) about the F6 irons and these came up, I assure you they are not just aimed at seniors and women. Its all about needs, if you need launch and max forgiveness this review right up your alley.

Dave

I don't see any reason, but they are designed to get the ball up in the air quickly. If you have a higher swing speed this may not be to your advantage.

I don't see any reason, but they are designed to get the ball up in the air quickly. If you have a higher swing speed this may not be to your advantage.

Thanks John! I'm in about the 95 MPH range with the driver so not exactly that fast of a swinger.

Dave

I actually just got to ask Tom Olsavsky (Cobra VP of R&D) about the F6 irons and these came up, I assure you they are not just aimed at seniors and women. Its all about needs, if you need launch and max forgiveness this review right up your alley.

These appear to be kind of like a more modern Ping G25, but with really reasonable shaft upgrades, a progressive set design, and a really good price for new irons.

Dave

Thanks John! I'm in about the 95 MPH range with the driver so not exactly that fast of a swinger.

Dave

Do you have anywhere near you where you can demo them? They're a nice looking iron and a good swing sends the ball high and straight.

I haven't received mine yet but the waiting is killing me!! When I hit them they went high and straight. My swing speed is in the 90's.

I will share more when I start gaming them...

Dave

I'm just below there with my driver swing speed (92-93mph) and these irons felt and looked great to me. Dead straight.

My swing speed is 95 or so with the driver and I really enjoyed my time with the irons. So much forgiveness and distance. So much fun to hit.

My new Cobra Max clubs are in my bag. Now it needs to stop raining so I can play.

Did you get the hybrids with it or just the irons?
My new Cobra Max clubs are in my bag. Now it needs to stop raining so I can play.

I also just read your previous post about your wife having the fly z xl's and hit these higher. Did I read that right?

Back