Cobra RADSPEED Fairway Woods and Hybrids

I mean I don't think you would have any use for high and strait flight with a soft landing, but if you insist then go ahead and get one.
Hahahaha, that’s fair. :LOL:

Anyone playing the hybrid with the 480 in stiff flex? I typically would use more like an 80-85g shaft in hybrid, wondering about how that shaft tends to feel. I have recoil 95 regular flex in my irons and like them a lot.

Anyone playing the hybrid with the 480 in stiff flex? I typically would use more like an 80-85g shaft in hybrid, wondering about how that shaft tends to feel. I have recoil 95 regular flex in my irons and like them a lot.
So I struggled a bit with that shaft during testing and went the MMT which falls into that 80-85g window I believe. I have nothing but good things to say about that combo. (I also have the Recoil 95s in my irons and enjoy them.)

After several rounds with my MC bag, I can say that the Cobra RadSpeed fairway has changed my view of fairway woods. In the past, I've struggled to do much except top a ball with a fairway wood and have quite a few of them in permanent time out. I think the shape of the head helps with RadSpeed, it's not as wide and feels somewhat between a hybrid and a traditional fairway. My 5W is definitely a club I'm comfortable with in the bag and it gaps really nicely with the RadSpeed driver!

If you struggle with fairways due to confidence, I'd definitely recommend giving the RadSpeed a try!

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Finally got these in hand and down to the range last night, and all I can say is wow. I've gone for the full set-up 3, 5 7 - #TeamHeadcovers! All 3 in the Hzrdus Smoke RDX shafts, each set 1 degree up.

The launch of all three of these blew my tiny mind, I never for a moment thought that I would get the flight off the deck with FWs that I had with these - even the 3w was soaring into the sky with the minimum of effort. The 7w was quite frankly outrageous, a couple of them came down with snow on them it flew so high. I had a bit of an issue with hooks for the first couple but once I sorted out the alignment and ball position they just wanted to go high....and straight....and long. Did I mention long? These are the hottest FWs I have ever hit, never thought I'd be carrying a 5w 230 from the ground but these things are legit.

The 3w off the tee just launches and goes for days - almost to the point that I'm going to have to have a real play with the gapping and lofts to make sure there isn't too big a gap at the top of the bag - watch this space!

The feel off the face is solid, with a confidence inspiring crack and the shaft seems to pair beautifully - really smooth and doesn't make you feel like you have to chase it. At address to my eye they do seem a little closed, but this is a look that I like, stops me feeling that I'm going to be carving it right and lets me just swing at it.

To say I'm a happy boy would be an understatement, these are going to quite frankly be absolute weapons..

I am really loving these FW's they even gap well for me which is really distinctive for FW over the last few years as they have gotten hotter and hotter. These really want to hold the line they are started on and they fly high. They also hold much better on landing than the SIM Max I played last season. That may have been a tad longer, but for me these are much more playable as they end up closer to where I aimed more often.

Also the 7 wood is my new best friend. So strait and high compared to a hybrid and I love it. I am a big fan of Seamus golf tartan headcovers and I already had 2 FW covers, so I could not leave my new best friend without a classy custom headcover. It came in yesterday and here is a picture of my bag right now. The yellow is my 7 wood, red is the 5W, and the white and black is the 3W. Obviously the big dog is wearing green. 20210713_075920.jpg

I am really loving these FW's they even gap well for me which is really distinctive for FW over the last few years as they have gotten hotter and hotter. These really want to hold the line they are started on and they fly high. They also hold much better on landing than the SIM Max I played last season. That may have been a tad longer, but for me these are much more playable as they end up closer to where I aimed more often.

Also the 7 wood is my new best friend. So strait and high compared to a hybrid and I love it. I am a big fan of Seamus golf tartan headcovers and I already had 2 FW covers, so I could not leave my new best friend without a classy custom headcover. It came in yesterday and here is a picture of my bag right now. The yellow is my 7 wood, red is the 5W, and the white and black is the 3W. Obviously the big dog is wearing green. View attachment 9016512

Those headcovers are awesome! Certainly a lot more classy than my gorilla :LOL:

Also the 7 wood is my new best friend. So strait and high compared to a hybrid and I love it. I am a big fan of Seamus golf tartan headcovers and I already had 2 FW covers, so I could not leave my new best friend without a classy custom headcover. It came in yesterday and here is a picture of my bag right now. The yellow is my 7 wood, red is the 5W, and the white and black is the 3W. Obviously the big dog is wearing green. View attachment 9016512

It is great to hear that the Radspeed fairways are treating you well. It appears that you and @HarlettoScara will be representing Team Headcovers very well in Vegas. I have the Speedzone 5w and 7w in my current bag. I refer to the 5w as the canon. I hit that club at least 10-20 yards longer than I expect to.

It is great to hear that the Radspeed fairways are treating you well. It appears that you and @HarlettoScara will be representing Team Headcovers very well in Vegas. I have the Speedzone 5w and 7w in my current bag. I refer to the 5w as the canon. I hit that club at least 10-20 yards longer than I expect to.
Yep that 5 wood is the club I hit from the fairway when I can hit it as far as is possible (par 5 second shot mostly). Setup and smoke it.

Oh we will be Team Headcovers and make no mistake. Bound to be one or two more in play before then as well ;)

Oh we will be Team Headcovers and make no mistake. Bound to be one or two more in play before then as well ;)

Looking forward to closely following Team Hackers in the leadup to the event.

OK, first round out on the course with the new Radspeed FWs, and I was keen to see if what I saw on the range translated. To cut a long story short....yes. And then some. Off the tee, the 3w is hot, fast and a complete bomber. The 5w off the deck is a complete cannon as @Bernoulli had mentioned. And the 7w? Well, I had one shot with it, 210 yards out on a par 5 over some trees into the light rough. Of course I topped it about 15 yards behind another tree :LOL:

But just an example of how hot these are. The 9th at my course is a short par 4, and generally I pull the 3w off the tee and aim for the fat of the fairway, over the first bunker to lay up short of the two greenside bunkers. Last night...

9th.png

Yup..carried into the left hand fairway bunker. These clubs are ridiculous, really.

At set up, they seem to be a bit toe in to my eye with helps the confidence that they're not spraying right and the launch is unreal. I had originally gone for the Helium shafts, and now I'm glad I didn't because the Smoke RDX just launches them into orbit from both tee and fairway. I have a feeling that these are going to become a very important part of the bag.

I enjoy the 7W more than I thought I would. Nice experimental club that I sacrificed a wedge for. The 5 Tour is a monster when I act like I can swing a club.

Attachments

• 7B14627E-CF7E-417B-9652-9393E1E7ACEA.jpg
    7B14627E-CF7E-417B-9652-9393E1E7ACEA.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 10
Went out for a few practice holes last night. I played a par 5 close to my house where my tee ball lands around the 250 marker. I hit the 5 wood last night 2 times. First one was right off the center of the face to about 35 yards from the center of the green (215 yards from a club I average 185 with on Arccos) the second was off the toe a bit right, but it held it's line and ended up 50 yards from the pin on the right side of the fairway (200 yards). Both of them were super high and flying on a line.

I was thinking about a good word to describe these FW's last night and the word I came up with was playable. I feel as confident with accuracy with the 7 wood in my hand as I do with a 7 iron in my hand right now. I know it is is going to stay really close to the line I start it on so it's just so easy to take a nice easy swing hit it accurately. The combo of high launch and middish spin for me is just really good for playing actual golf with. I can see these being in my bag for a long time.

I enjoy the 7W more than I thought I would. Nice experimental club that I sacrificed a wedge for. The 5 Tour is a monster when I act like I can swing a club.
251 :eek:

What a shot.

251 :eek:

What a shot.

I didn’t expect it when I hit it. Wasn’t very much elevation change into a blind green. I really do wonder if i hit something that gave me an extra 20 yards. Either way, I’m a big believer in both of my woods and both hybrids.

For those following closely, I’m smitten with the hybrids but the fairways have been a journey to get dialed in. What probably adds to my angst is that my brother picked up my custom ordered 3w at the range and was just striping them. Hearing the glowing reviews it is clearly something I’m bringing to the table.

That said, I’ve gone up in weight with a new shaft and plan on hitting balls until I get it worked out. I’ll keep you all posted.

C0BFB13C-D9A1-4AE5-9920-63DADC25CD5F.jpeg

Went out for a few practice holes last night. I played a par 5 close to my house where my tee ball lands around the 250 marker. I hit the 5 wood last night 2 times. First one was right off the center of the face to about 35 yards from the center of the green (215 yards from a club I average 185 with on Arccos) the second was off the toe a bit right, but it held it's line and ended up 50 yards from the pin on the right side of the fairway (200 yards). Both of them were super high and flying on a line.

I was thinking about a good word to describe these FW's last night and the word I came up with was playable. I feel as confident with accuracy with the 7 wood in my hand as I do with a 7 iron in my hand right now. I know it is is going to stay really close to the line I start it on so it's just so easy to take a nice easy swing hit it accurately. The combo of high launch and middish spin for me is just really good for playing actual golf with. I can see these being in my bag for a long time.

I'm gaming the Speedzone 5w and 7w and I'm getting similar results. I think my distances are similar to yours. I have found that I can hit the 5w and 7w at least 10 yards beyond what I expected from a good strike.

Picked up a 3w a few weeks ago and have been putting it through the ringers. I gave the stock F3 60g S flex a chance but it was too flimsy for me. Put.in the Elements Chrome I had in my F7 and that swings much better for me. I have it set to 13° but it still launches a bit too high for my tastes off the tee, but the flight off the deck is superb. Also the feel at impact is exquisite. So far so good. Considering a 21° hybrid next

Didn’t get to hit the 3w at all this morning but did hit the 5w a couple times. I absolutely love the looks and feel of the tour 5w. Off the tee today I noticed it spin up quite a bit just like 3w did for me last week. Off the deck was much better. I am noticing a tendency for the ball flight to have a little cut which is perfectly ok.
Here’s a few pics. I do think the 3w looks more close to my eye than the 5w which is odd, has to be the infinity face.

3w
9B07BDCF-2851-4BA8-87E3-CA8F07B96CED.jpeg
016914DB-70BF-434B-ACDB-007B6404DBB8.jpeg

5w
77FD8A90-A033-4991-838B-4EAD6E1B31CF.jpeg
4DAF68C0-B923-4007-8D45-22D05C45F9E1.jpeg

For those following closely, I’m smitten with the hybrids but the fairways have been a journey to get dialed in. What probably adds to my angst is that my brother picked up my custom ordered 3w at the range and was just striping them. Hearing the glowing reviews it is clearly something I’m bringing to the table.

That said, I’ve gone up in weight with a new shaft and plan on hitting balls until I get it worked out. I’ll keep you all posted.

View attachment 9016686

I really hope you do get these dialled in, because they are superb clubs. Hopefully that heavier shaft will work for you - is it more launch you're looking for, or is there a struggle somewhere else?

I really hope you do get these dialled in, because they are superb clubs. Hopefully that heavier shaft will work for you - is it more launch you're looking for, or is there a struggle somewhere else?
It’s really just a consistency of strike which means it is 100% on me. The ones I catch are beautiful, hitting the distances I would expect and in a good launch window. It’s just that my dispersion is all over the map. I’ve seen my brother, who is a higher handicap, launch these beautifully and a buddy, who is a mid single digit, flight them nicely as good golfers do. So clearly I’ve just got to put in the work.

I started to develop a bit of a pattern this morning at the range so I think the heavier shaft is helping. I was overdrawing some but a one way miss can be managed and if I work a bit to get comfortable with the new feels I think I am onto something. If I can repeat the range session again this evening I may just commit to it at league play tomorrow, even if that means keeping the RadSpeed XB in the bag for a night😢

I’ll keep working it to tighten this up as my distance dispersion is below:
13E21CF4-EA86-4D33-B73F-2546D94E9E33.jpeg

Last edited:
I think you've probably hit the nail on the head when you say it's just a case of putting a bit of graft in at the range and getting used to how they play for you. Often an instant honeymoon period can be the hand of death for long term success with something so getting them dialed in perfectly for yourself will lead to great things. There's always a transition period, just a case now of tweaking ball position, lofts etc to really hit your sweet spot. There are a couple of real beauties in there, so you know you can get it done, a matter of the consistency like you say. Be interesting after a few more rounds to see how things move. Really looking forward to joining your journey with these (y)

Worked out the fairway woods into dusk last night. It worked out well as I couldn’t see the ball flight, only the location of strike as the evening dew collecting on the club face showed the contact point. I think being free of results, and the better fit shaft, we’re working as I got into a groove with a good number of dead center strikes. Hopefully that carries over into good shots later this week.

And I still love the hybrid. Has one last weekend I was able to flight down under the trees to get it green side 😍

Back