Cobra RADSPEED Fairway Woods and Hybrids

I can’t decide whether I like the matte black or the matte blue. Calling the blue peacoat doesn’t sound right to me

I can’t decide whether I like the matte black or the matte blue. Calling the blue peacoat doesn’t sound right to me
It’s the name of the blue colorway for all of Puma Golf apparel, so it makes sense in that regard.

That’s said, all the clamoring here for the peacoat means I’ll get my color of choice with no issues on preorder day 🤣

It’s the name of the blue colorway for all of Puma Golf apparel, so it makes sense in that regard.

That’s said, all the clamoring here for the peacoat means I’ll get my color of choice with no issues on preorder day 🤣

Haha, good point. I’m slightly leaning matte black but the peacoat could change my mind once I see them in person

These look pretty nice. The name seems silly but so do many others.

These look pretty nice. The name seems silly but so do many others.
Definitely different, but at least this naming convention has actual tech behind it

Yesterday Cobra released the all new Rad Speed fairway woods and hybrid, and as a player of the Speedzone fairway woods I have a mixed opinion. If you have read my review of the Rad Speed drivers then you will know how I stand on the weighting, for some swings it will do next to nothing and for others it will make all the difference. There is a *hole* lot more to these. (get it? Hole, like a golf hole? I crack my self up.)
They included the infinity face to the fairway woods that wrap around the head a bit more. I love this, I feel like in the Speedzone the face is a bit smaller than it could have been and I’m not a big fan of that, buttery this fixes that problem. Ironically it’s called infinity face but the infinity isn’t actually on it. They kept a whole lot from the Speedzone including the lightened baffler rails and they have the same color scheme as the driver. They did however expand the big tour range by including a big tour 5 wood. I know a lot of people who play the big tour and love it so it’s not surprising they expanded this range. They also added in a draw biased fairway that goes along with the driver to expand this range to 4 different fairways. These are definitely worth a test, but I think they messed up big time on the hybrids. They kept a lot from the Speedzone and added the weighting, but they are missing two big things for me. First, from their utility iron to their drivers, they are all adjustable, except the hybrids. This is a grand shame and being honest, I would be much more likely to buy a hybrid from them if they were adjustable, I don’t think it’s something that is going to make people avoid buying these but it would have been a nice feature that would definitely make people take a second look at them. The next thing is their lack of milling. Their drivers, fairways, utility irons, irons, wedges, and even their putter are all milled. I wish they would bring that to their hybrids. I think if they added these two feature people, including myself, would maybe buy them over a competitor. This was a real miss in my opinion. I can’t wait to test this in January/ February and I will post a follow up when I do. This initial reaction is based on information on the club/looks/and other people’s reviews. Have a great day!
-Ben N

Attachments

• A1CC3BC2-957C-4E11-84B0-8C068ACD2DDF.jpeg
    A1CC3BC2-957C-4E11-84B0-8C068ACD2DDF.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 16
Every time I hear this name I can't help but think of the 80's haha. I know the name came from the tech but I still find it amusing

One thing that I'm not certain about (and has bothered me a bit about Cobra hybrids in the past) is the bonded shaft. I realize there are some tradeoffs (weight a good example) with an adjustable hybrid sleeve, yet I really like the option of looking at other hybrid shafts (e.g. Ventus Hybrid is on my list to test this year). I'm sure the Recoils that are coming stock are great complementary shafts for the hybrids, would just like to change them like you can with the Cobra fairways and drivers

Every time I hear this name I can't help but think of the 80's haha. I know the name came from the tech but I still find it amusing

little feet.png

Hearing Rad reminds me of "Rad Gumbo" a song from 1990 by Little Feat.

It doesn't seem like there is a lot of interest in the FW and Hybrid line. I really like the idea of the Big Tour and the Tour Fairway. Anyone got thoughts on these?

It doesn't seem like there is a lot of interest in the FW and Hybrid line. I really like the idea of the Big Tour and the Tour Fairway. Anyone got thoughts on these?

I genuinely think that is the consensus on most new releases until they get into stores and in peoples hands. I have a feeling the fairways are going to surprise some people.

Those hybrids as well.....I was going to look into a 26/7 hybrid this year as well, but looks like I'm just going to have to learn to hit my 5i instead :ROFLMAO:
It’s a shame cobra doesn’t offer higher lofted hybrids any longer in their main offering (not talking F-Max line). Would really love to see something in the 26-29* range to be able to finish off a set and blend into their irons with more options.
I happened to check out the Ping site yesterday looking at their lady Pro’s. It’s amazing how many play high lofted hybrids and start with a a 6i and in many cases even start with a 7i. For us mere mortal swingers high lofted hybrids are a godsend.

I genuinely think that is the consensus on most new releases until they get into stores and in peoples hands. I have a feeling the fairways are going to surprise some people.
Do you have any in the tech studio? Hit them? The Cobra fairways are always interesting to me.

Do you have any in the tech studio? Hit them? The Cobra fairways are always interesting to me.

Yes, a few pictures in this thread of them in hand. Have not spent a ton of time with them yet, but really like what I am seeing so far.

Cobra has made some really good hybrids lately. I’m not a fan of fairways but I could see putting one through its paces

It’s a shame cobra doesn’t offer higher lofted hybrids any longer in their main offering (not talking F-Max line). Would really love to see something in the 26-29* range to be able to finish off a set and blend into their irons with more options.
I happened to check out the Ping site yesterday looking at their lady Pro’s. It’s amazing how many play high lofted hybrids and start with a a 6i and in many cases even start with a 7i. For us mere mortal swingers high lofted hybrids are a godsend.

I'd agree with you. I've played a 27 degree Ping 25 years and it is the very definition of a rescue club. Bang it into long par 3s, high and soft into long par 4s, out of the rough and especially good out of fairway bunkers. Probably hit more shots with it than any other.

I'll be thinking about getting a new 3 wood at some point this season and from what I have seen and read hear these will be near the top of my list to try. I love the design with the speed rail that they have on this and the last couple models. I've always struggled with hitting my 3w off the deck and it seems to be mostly because of my pour turf interaction. I'm hoping this design would help with improving my ability to hit those shots that I'm missing.

Black or blue......I love the green/yellow accents on the black. Kinda wish they were on the blue lol

The Tour Fairway is an interesting beast. Looks like a very interesting piece of equipment.

that Tour FW looks verrrrrryyyyyy intriguing to me. A smidge more compact...

@JB have you seen the Tour Fairway of this line? Hit it?

@JB have you seen the Tour Fairway of this line? Hit it?

I have not in the wild. It is not one we received for testing, but I am sure we will.

Whats interesting about it?
Smaller deeper head. Fun setup. Just interesting they made a FW specifically different from the rest of their lineup for hitting off the deck.

Smaller deeper head. Fun setup. Just interesting they made a FW specifically different from the rest of their lineup for hitting off the deck.
Smaller and deeper? Are you referring to the Big Tour Fwy? They have had a Tour fwy for years which is smaller and more shallow. I tried the Big Tour Fwy last year which was deeper but it took me a long time to get used to it.

Back