While I love the black finish, this would really trigger my OCD and I probably would have to get new irons much quicker then normal.
To be fair this is my 8i which is representative of the other irons in my set after a full season (about 45 rounds). The pic I posted earlier is of my 7i which I happen to use the 7i at the range the most. it was holding up fine until a session at a range that had real sandy soil. That did is in. I wasn’t careful to wipe each ball and the face before I hit.

EA6835C6-A61D-4F4A-B71D-8CA406B44330.jpeg

Last edited:
To be fair this is my 8i which is representative of the other irons in my set. The pic I posted earlier is of my 7i which I happen to use the 7i at the range the most. it was holding up fine until a session at a range that had real sandy soil. That did is in. I wasn’t careful to wipe each ball and the face before I hit.

View attachment 8988323
Sandy conditions is the death of black PVD irons. It even scuffed the DBM which is significantly more durable.

Since I keep thinking I need more forgiveness I continue to keep hitting these this week. I’ve even taken quite a few swings with @JB one length version 😳 and for a brief moment I thought about it haha

I kept saying the OL version actually felt better off the face than the regular version so @Jman reshafted a 7i for me yesterday. Hope to take a few swings today and see but not certain these are for me

Since I keep thinking I need more forgiveness I continue to keep hitting these this week. I’ve even taken quite a few swings with @JB one length version 😳 and for a brief moment I thought about it haha

I kept saying the OL version actually felt better off the face than the regular version so @Jman reshafted a 7i for me yesterday. Hope to take a few swings today and see but not certain these are for me
Is it the feel or the numbers you're seeing that you don't care for? Also, which shaft did you get put in the 7i?

Is it the feel or the numbers you're seeing that you don't care for? Also, which shaft did you get put in the 7i?
Numbers are great and it’s not that I don’t care for them it’s more that they not my typical iron shape and as much as I’m trying to not think about it sometimes it’s hard not to if that makes sense. I think they feel and sound great on well struck shots much like most irons haha.

He took out the stock KBS Tour 90 and put in a DG 105

Numbers are great and it’s not that I don’t care for them it’s more that they not my typical iron shape and as much as I’m trying to not think about it sometimes it’s hard not to if that makes sense. I think they feel and sound great on well struck shots much like most irons haha.

He took out the stock KBS Tour 90 and put in a DG 105
I love the feel of the Speedzone on well struck shots, but others, even if it feels like a hit a good one, but just missed, leave something to be desired. I imagine this is similar. And honestly, I have no issue hitting a larger shaped iron off the tee, but when I have to hit from the fairway, I just don't feel as confident, if that makes sense.

I'm really going to have to give these a serious look, in either OL or regular. I hit the regular SZ at my first fitting, and for some reason they just didn't fit my eye one little bit. I'm not really looking for 'longer' irons per-se, but the extra forgiveness really is a tempter. I'd have to do a full fitting and see what the numbers are. On the assumption that they're a club longer than the MIM irons, I wouldn't be adverse to playing variable PW-7 in the MIMs and then OL in the Radspeeds, but with a 7 and 6 iron. In effect having 2 irons with the number 7 on the bottom. Whether this is just crazy talk or not I don't know, but would be fun to try :rockon:

I'm really going to have to give these a serious look, in either OL or regular. I hit the regular SZ at my first fitting, and for some reason they just didn't fit my eye one little bit. I'm not really looking for 'longer' irons per-se, but the extra forgiveness really is a tempter. I'd have to do a full fitting and see what the numbers are. On the assumption that they're a club longer than the MIM irons, I wouldn't be adverse to playing variable PW-7 in the MIMs and then OL in the Radspeeds, but with a 7 and 6 iron. In effect having 2 irons with the number 7 on the bottom. Whether this is just crazy talk or not I don't know, but would be fun to try :rockon:

Love the crazy talk. I think you'll have to hit them. At least you have a baseline and experience to begin the fitting process. The Speedzones are very good irons. I can only imagine that the Radspeeds would be the same.

Numbers are great and it’s not that I don’t care for them it’s more that they not my typical iron shape and as much as I’m trying to not think about it sometimes it’s hard not to if that makes sense.
I understand that entirely.

When I first started in golf, last summer, of the clubs that were gifted to me I could tell the putter was never going to work. (Not that I didn't try.) I fell in lust with the SeeMore Si3 @KEV got. But $250, and I didn't even know if I'd like golf, yet. So I saved a buck or two and went with a straight center shaft Si5. Eventually I came to the conclusion that had been a mistake for me. I rolled it ok, but I could never fall in love with that straight center shaft.

So, yeah: I get it. What you're looking at when you're looking down at club and ball does make a difference. You've got to like what you see. That's why I rejected the Callaway Mavrik Max irons. Fondled one at my LGS. Took one look at that top line and thought "Nope."

Reactions: KEV

ponder engaged.

hmm, $-tapers not in stock.

Last edited:
Got these in the cart (OL) definitely giving them the hard ponder lol. I called Cobra regarding shafts, and they said at this time there is no indication they will be offering the Recoil DART shafts for 2021.

So, that leaves me on the fence between the Recoil 460 ESX (stock graphite shafts) or Recoil 760 ES Smacwrap... any suggestions?

Got these in the cart (OL) definitely giving them the hard ponder lol. I called Cobra regarding shafts, and they said at this time there is no indication they will be offering the Recoil DART shafts for 2021.

So, that leaves me on the fence between the Recoil 460 ESX (stock graphite shafts) or Recoil 760 ES Smacwrap... any suggestions?

Not sure I can help between those two, but I know a lot of THPers liked the 760 Recoil. I play the OL in Recoil 95s and like them a lot.

ponder engaged.

hmm, $-tapers not in stock.
They feel great with Recoils...just saying

thats what people say.
I have played both shafts, have hit both shafts this week and to me there is no comparison in the feel dept. I may never play steel again 😳

Alright narrowed it down to:
Tour 90
PX IO
Recoil 110
Nippon ns pro (or modus)
Or maybe the $taper lite. (Reg $taper out of stock)

😶

Pulled the trigger, 5-GW OL.

The USTM online shaft finder recommended the 780 Smacwrap shafts so that’s what I went with.

Got a decent amount for my Rogues on trade, too.

Any idea when or if I person could order the black pvd heads in a set ?

Course got all the RAD stuff in today! Can't wait to hit these. That 4i in the black finish is close to a lock for the bag!

I wouldn’t hesitate to call Cobra support with any questions about availability, I was on hold for under 5 minutes when I called.

Cobragolf.com Online Orders
Phone: (800) 917-3300, option 2
Email: customerservice@cobragolf.com

edit: I ordered my set from the cobra site directly (I’m left-handed) I will say I did not have the option for the Black PVD finish.

Last edited:
Back