Cold weather golf.

I remember somebody in one of the cold weather threads saying they brought a cordless drill out with them to get their tees in the ground. I mean, I get it, but if I have to use a drill to get my tee in the ground it's too freaking cold for golf! 🥶
Yeah, there comes a point when you have to ask the question eh?! What are the rest of your shots going to feel like if you have to drill a hole just to place your tee?!

I finished a round at 32F and 25 mph winds. I could not last another moment.o_O

I probably have teed off in the upper 20s with wind chill in the lower 20s

I’ve started a few rounds below freezing, but the coldest entire round I played was about 35 degrees with 35 mph winds on Christmas Eve a few years ago.

Back in the day.....I would play every January 1st if a course was open....In CT. Played often when it was below 32 and snow on ground here and there.

We play Jan 1 here every year as long as the greens aren’t snow covered. Coldest I remember was 12F, but the sun was out and wind was calm so it wasn’t horrible.

I’ve walked several solo rounds this winter in the low 30s. Nice having the place to myself.

Mid teens F. was the coldest I’ve played. I’ve gotten out almost every week this winter, last month it was mostly in the mid 30s F. When the wind wasn’t blowing it was quite pleasant.

I played at a course in Wisconsin on January 1st a few times and I’m sure it was single digits on at least one of those occasions. We are going through an arctic blast right now that really makes me want to get to Florida.

2B84DA89-5A1E-44C2-BA9E-D28C93D6D528.jpeg

25 years ago we'd play a round or 2 in upper 30's temps. Since then the coldest I played was this past fall in a scramble tourney. Temps started in the mid 40's & by the end of the round a cold front came through with gusting winds. Temps dropped into the mid 30's with "feels like" temps of high 20's. Bone chilling cold.

-5 , last winter . May go this Friday and the weather is set to be cold.,

The coldest it has ever felt was when I went out in 37 degree weather with 15-20 MPH winds. The coldest temp I have played in is 25, but it was quite nice because there was no wind.

I’ve played in the mid 30’s and as long as the sun is out and there is no wind it’s not awful if you have the need to play. Any wind or no sun and forget about it it gets cold quickly

Frequently below freezing on the thermometer but sleet and wind dropping it a few more degrees. Not a lot of fun most of the time, but if you have some decent gear then it can be OK. As other have said, it can be almost impossible to get a tee peg into the ground, and the tee boxes themselves can be absolutely lethal and no chance of being able to put a proper swing on the ball! My favourite part is hitting a huge towering iron shot and then seeing the ball bounce 50' in the air knowing you're never going to see it again :LOL:

Frequently below freezing on the thermometer but sleet and wind dropping it a few more degrees. Not a lot of fun most of the time, but if you have some decent gear then it can be OK. As other have said, it can be almost impossible to get a tee peg into the ground, and the tee boxes themselves can be absolutely lethal and no chance of being able to put a proper swing on the ball! My favourite part is hitting a huge towering iron shot and then seeing the ball bounce 50' in the air knowing you're never going to see it again :LOL:
You are going to be so out of your element if the Morgan Cup is someplace warm 😂

You are going to be so out of your element if the Morgan Cup is someplace warm 😂
I actually cope very well with the heat, so I'm looking forward to it more than ever. Played in the high 30s in Australia and Spain and up in the 40s in Turkey and was absolutely fine. Is the humidity that I struggle with, so that might be my only issue. I clearly live in the wrong country, that's the problem!

Played Whistling Straits last May at 37° with howling winds. 1 other group played that day!

100EF3B9-3BA5-421B-95E1-F6106806AA2F.jpeg

I actually cope very well with the heat, so I'm looking forward to it more than ever. Played in the high 30s in Australia and Spain and up in the 40s in Turkey and was absolutely fine. Is the humidity that I struggle with, so that might be my only issue. I clearly live in the wrong country, that's the problem!
Well I live in the wrong state so I can understand your feelings haha

Well I live in the wrong state so I can understand your feelings haha
Determined to pack up and move at some point, only so much bad weather one person can cope with!

I’ve got out in mid 30s a couple of times at the start of a round.

One time I played in January in the Chicago area with temps in the 20s, but no wind. Forecast was for it to get to 40° which it never did. Now the wind chill can be no lower than 32° with prospects for some warming trend as the round progresses, keeping in mind that for the last many, many years I have typically played in the 1st or 2nd group off on weekday mornings. Rarely have we made later tee times due to cold weather solely because the pace of play is hard to deal with compared to our usual sub 3-hour rounds.

As a couple of people have stated. Mid- 30's, sunny with little to no wind. And I'm usually in shirtsleeves with maybe a lightweight vest. I don't like being restricted with sleeves of a jacket or sweatshirt. I'll put on long johns, alright... and a nice cozy hat, but "Suns out, guns out!"

If the breeze kicks up a bit or it clouds over, I'll use my lightweight rain jacket- the least amount and restrictive of materials to keep going.

When I used to travel for work (this pandemic put all business travels to a grinding halt), I played golf with clients all the time. One time in Asia, I played when it was -15 C because the client wanted to play. They are nuts about golf over there, especially when I am footing all the bills. With wind chill, I think it must've been about -25 C.

Even though they had a portable heater in the cart, it didn't help staying warm.

In the States here, the coldest I've played is 20 *F.
But it's suppose to get to a high of 9 *F this Saturday, so I might break that record -- if the course is open.

Just a few weeks ago, when I teed off it was 27* out. The coldest I've played in has been in the teens. But when it gets that hard, it's almost impossible to get the tee in the ground. I'm thinking of bringing a drill with me next time :eek: I don't mind the cold temperature wise but if it's windy too, then that's when I don't tee it up. When the cold bitter wind cuts thru you .... yeah no thanks ;)

High 30’s probably..... call me a sissy, but I’m just not a cold weather guy... have some issues with the lower back and tensing up from the cold makes for a pretty lousy golf experience. Love the New England golf courses, but when the time comes to play winter golf... it’ll be somewhere warm ⛳🏌🏻‍♂️🏝.

Low 30s so far this year. Had an hour frost delay. With the change to Bermuda greens, that is as low as they allow. They'll cover the greens if it's mid 20s or lower. A few years ago, no limit as long as there wasn't any snow. Great days when you hit a drive and it bounces off the frozen ground for another 75-100 yards. Water hazard isn't when you can hit it off the frozen pond surface.

Back