Colder weather golf…

JW Smoove

Waffles, always waffles
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
🧇
I’m trying to extend my golf this season and marines start it earlier next.

what are the staples?

i can’t bulk up with too many layers, i figure either a long sleeve polo or a long sleeve mock neck, then sweater or 1/4 zip or new unrl hoodie, and finally athin to mid zipper jacket similar to north face and that ilk.

long pants, regular socks C and shoes that are water proof all help as well.

so, what am i missing, i still walk local rounds and I’m not a beanie type of hat person.

thanks!

Sorry, just saw @baylrballa posted a similar thread. I had some a quick scan and yet still missed it.

Thin layers are your friend. I tend to go with a base layer, then a polo, then 1/4 zip. I also have a wind and waterproof jacket that stays in the bag, but don't discount a beanie hat. Playing in frosty weather, it's about staying warm rather than looks!

Yours is slightly different than mine. I have the items will try that!

Beanie hats don’t work well for me since I wear hearing aids. It creates feedback and squeal that others can hear. A big distraction. Can’t cover my ears.

I think I posted something similar in the other thread, but the key is thin but warm layers. Think synthetic or merino wool base layers / long johns. It really cannot be overstated how much a good base layer is critical to being comfortable in colder weather.

Over that, you can just wear a regular pair of golf pants and a long sleeve or short sleeve polo depending on preference / temps. Can also add a fleece or other thin insulating 1/4 or 1/2 zip on top for additional warmth if needed. Then go with a light wind or rain shell on top if it's windy or rainy, or a lightly insulated weather resistant jacket if it's really cold. I've played in setups exactly like that down to basically freezing. You can also add rain / wind shell pants if needed.

I would definitely recommend a toque / beanie type cap for cold weather, or if you don't like those, maybe a fleece headband. Key is to cover up the ears, you lose a lot of warmth there. I'd also recommend you get some winter golf gloves, they make a big difference!

100% hot hands and it's not even close.

I dropped my "willing to play" temp way down after starting to use hot hands for the course. They are amazing for keeping your hands warm, which in turn avoids the absolutely awful numb hand experience on an okay to terrible golf shot.

I think I posted something similar in the other thread, but the key is thin but warm layers. Think synthetic or merino wool base layers / long johns. It really cannot be overstated how much a good base layer is critical to being comfortable in colder weather.

Over that, you can just wear a regular pair of golf pants and a long sleeve or short sleeve polo depending on preference / temps. Can also add a fleece or other thin insulating 1/4 or 1/2 zip on top for additional warmth if needed. Then go with a light wind or rain shell on top if it's windy or rainy, or a lightly insulated weather resistant jacket if it's really cold. I've played in setups exactly like that down to basically freezing. You can also add rain / wind shell pants if needed.

I would definitely recommend a toque / beanie type cap for cold weather, or if you don't like those, maybe a fleece headband. Key is to cover up the ears, you lose a lot of warmth there. I'd also recommend you get some winter golf gloves, they make a big difference!
Yes I’ll need to get a pair of long johns. Thanks.

oh, and winter gloves, did not know they existed

100% hot hands and it's not even close.

I dropped my "willing to play" temp way down after starting to use hot hands for the course. They are amazing for keeping your hands warm, which in turn avoids the absolutely awful numb hand experience on an okay to terrible golf shot.
Yes, still have many from my daughters time in travel and college soccer! I’ll find them and this a few in the bag.

It's not optional, it's mandatory.
How cold do you play in? I figure if i need more than three layers I’d take off that week/day.

if i can play in about 50ish degrees, I’m good!

Keeping your hands and head warm are key. I have Foot Joy Winter Gloves and I have Hot Hand hand warmers. I have a beanie and a fleece ear band. For the rest of me - a synthetic base layer then some combination of a mock t neck, long sleeve polo, 1/4 zip , vest and wind jacket. And thicker, warmer socks.

How cold do you play in? I figure if i need more than three layers I’d take off that week/day.

I'll dip into the 30s but I won't be happy about it.

My hands were usually the first to get cold, even though I wore two golf gloves.

Solved that problem by wearing two, large, bbq mittens over the gloves between shots.

For my ears I wear my Green Bay Packers stocking cap. Figured if it was good enough for Wisconsin winters, it was good enough for the desert southwest cooler days.

For the rest of my body it's just a pair of long pants, shirt, sweatshirt with a hoodie, and a sleeveless, warm vest over that.

If the above doesn't keep me warm, it's too cold to play. I'll wait a day or two for it warm up. We seldom stay below 40*F. for multiple days as it. Might be in 20s in the mornings, but by 10am it's usualy above freezing into the 40s. Wind chill is the biggest problem.

As long as it’s in the 50s I’ll play. I played a round in the 40s last year and it was miserable

To me, the wind is a big factor. I’m not a fan of playing on cold and windy days. I can play in the 40s with light to moderate wind and won’t be uncomfortable.

I'm down to play until it's around 40. Although during winter if we catch a 37 degree day with no snow, I've been known to have at it.

Throw this UA mock on under a polo. You'll stay plennnnnty warm.
PS1345703-019_HF

If the sun is out, there is no wind and it'll get into the 50s, I'll start when it's in the mid 40s. But, I must emphasize that the sun must be out and no wind. If it's cloudy and windy, it really depends on how badly I want to play. I'll try the hot hands and see how that works on cooler days.

The Titleist Mittens have pockets in them to put "Hot Hands Packets in them, so that's nice.
I'm a Neck Gaiter and Ear Muff guy. Keeping your neck warm will help keep your hands warm.
Again - Titleist makes a really nice one:

1634653399704.png
I use 180* Ear Muffs over my hat to keep the Ears warm

Bust out the snowboarding gear and wear some layers.

Back