Colder weather golf…

We play until there is snow on the ground. Under Armour mock turtleneck as a base. I have a couple pair of Under Armour lined winter golf pants that are great. Winter hat and golf mittens for in between shots . We ride until carts cant go out and a cover and a heater really are great. In the cart in between shots and its like being in the Bahamas lol. After carts cant go out we walk. Oh and a bottle of Jack 🔥 Fire.

I play through the winter. Adidas fall weight slacks are maybe my favorite piece of warmer gear. Not too hot, but they definitely offer a bit of warmth over thin pants. They look sharp, too. I hate feeling restricted, and have discovered the fleece vest for golfing. With a good base layer like my favorite Mizuno Thermolite mocks, the fleece vest keeps my upper body plenty warm down into the 40's Full disclosure though, I have a bit of built in insulation, so some folks may want more than that. Like mentioned earlier, walking your rounds in cold weather definitely helps keep your body warmer. If it's going to be wet, I start off with my Gore-Tex trousers on as my main pants. They're quite breathable, but still manage to hold some heat in pretty well. I'll peel off the vest for my rain top if needed.
Thanks for such a detailed post. Lots of good info here.

We play until there is snow on the ground. Under Armour mock turtleneck as a base. I have a couple pair of Under Armour lined winter golf pants that are great. Winter hat and golf mittens for in between shots . We ride until carts cant go out and a cover and a heater really are great. In the cart in between shots and its like being in the Bahamas lol. After carts cant go out we walk. Oh and a bottle of Jack 🔥 Fire.
My only issue is Jack fire! I assume that’s a fireball derivative? I love that stuff in coffee, but not straight, too sweet for me. :p

I play in cold weather to maximize the season length.

Thin layers are a must in order to allow for perfect temperature. I like wearing a wicking undershirt - either short or long sleeve depending on temps. Then move to either a polo or long sleeve collared top. I'll always add a 1/4 zip because they're easy to don/doff, and I always keep my rain jacket in my bag for if it's really cold.

Bottom half is either thermals under regular pants, or thermals under rain pants.

I also keep a toque and mittens in my bag, along with some hot paws for 'emergencies'.

And lastly, stay hydrated. It seems counter-intuitive, but you actually lose a fair amount of moisture when it's cold as your body tries to keep itself warm.

Hydration, since my diet began I’ve been very conscious of drinking my water. With warm weather gold even moreso. I think I’d be ok, but it’s great reading your post as I’d not have given it too much thought. That said all season I’ve brought about 69 of water on course. In Myrtle even more LOTS more. So I’ll continue to bring the 32 and 28 water bottles!

Such good times my friend. When the choices are "golf" or "no golf " the PNW boys suit up and head out.

I think one of the coldest I've ever done was with @checkered and Spence at Nobell. Below zero and gale force winds. Have a video somewhere.
Ahh yes, that round was nuts, but fun. Bunkers had no sand, it had been blown all out. I remember into the wind hitting 7 iron on a hole i would normally hit 9 and was still 20 yards or more short.

I dislike cold weather golf.

but… if I must… LL Bean makes flannel lined khakis… they’re warm, cut the wind and are not restricting.

Layers… I usually wear a performance fabric Long sleeve shirt (to be honest, they say silk is best but well…silk). Then a polo then a medium weight quarter zip and a wind vest on top. If really cold, I add a bulkier quarter zip . Our course is very windy in the spring and fall, so cutting that Is important.

I also will wear 2 pair of socks… warmer layer on first and then a 2nd, lighter layer over them. If my feet are cold, I might as well go home.

Did I mention that I really dislike cold weather golf?

How cold do you play in? I figure if i need more than three layers I’d take off that week/day.

if i can play in about 50ish degrees, I’m good!
I’ll play down to the 30’s. It’s rare here but it happens. Last year I never wore more that 3 layers up top and just cotton pants, Dockers. Hands , head and feet are really the key for me. Keep them comfy and it will be a good day. Looks like we are going to get some rain this week(it’s been 7 months) and I’ll be playing. Just wear my rain gear and get some new rain gloves. Usually when it rains here it is above 52 degrees.

I'm big on thinner layers. I HATE feeling bulky and restricted when I'm out on the course. Long sleeve shirt and a 1/4 zip or a light golf hoodie. I carry so walking keeps me warm with less layers on. But a beanie is a must in colder weather. Not sure how I would play without one. A nice vest is also a great way to keep the upper body warm.

I fully plan on playing in the 30s as long as there is no snow or wind. and everyhting mentioned is a must to do that

I solve the cold weather problem by moving to cocoa beach Florida between November and March.

Multiple thin layers is the way to go. For me sometimes it is a thin under layer, a long sleeve polo or turtleneck, sometimes a thin vest then something wind proof on top. A hat is key and the secret weapon if you walk and carry are some hand warmers in your front pockets. Put your hands in your pockets while you walk between shots and your hands are nice and toasty to play. I have played like that down to the upper 30s.

These are all great suggestions. I usually go with the winter gloves, the thermal layers underneath and a hat. The thinner the better and a wind proof outer shell.

One thing I've been looking into is getting one of those cart covers for a turkey shoot I am doing later November. Anyone have one that they'd recommend? I typically walk but think it'd be good for those early spring or late fall outings where they provide a cart.

my group plays many weekends in the winter. Our finding is 38, sunny and low wind we are good to go. 46, sunny and low wind we consider almost perfect conditions for any day of the year. Remove the sun and bring the wind and things go downhill fast.

My typical winter day gear is
hiking socks, black adidas golf pants and john shorts. Rarely do I ever wear long underwwear.
Up top I wear a thin long john type shirt with a 1/4zip golf pullover. I then add a Vest and ping 3/4 arm wind breaker. that does me for almost anything.
Footjoy winter golf gloves at times on #1 but typcially gone by #3.

If we think it is going to be more like 42 and 10mph wind then I remove teh 1/4zip golf pullover and wear a patagonia fleece. The one I use is ultra thin on me and body hugging. Never had a fleece that warm.

#1 way to stay warmer in the winter ... WALK!

That said always had an issue keeping my hands warm enough even with hand warmers. Found a two part solution last year - now can easily play into the 30s.
# 1 TaylorMade Rain control gloves - not as thick as winter gloves but warm, have great grip AND come in Cadet sizes
# 2 (The Game Changer!) Clicgear Mitts - https://www.clicgearusa.com/products/clicgear-mitts Has a space for hand warmers, easy in/out

1635261390520.png

#1 way to stay warmer in the winter ... WALK!

That said always had an issue keeping my hands warm enough even with hand warmers. Found a two part solution last year - now can easily play into the 30s.
# 1 TaylorMade Rain control gloves - not as thick as winter gloves but warm, have great grip AND come in Cadet sizes
# 2 (The Game Changer!) Clicgear Mitts - https://www.clicgearusa.com/products/clicgear-mitts Has a space for hand warmers, easy in/out

View attachment 9038592
I do walk but my pushcart has alphard e wheels v2. So i just need pockets:)

I play a lot of cold weather golf here in Eastern Washington.
Layers of good quality fabric is the key for both top and bottom. And for here, stuff that blocks the wind is the real key.
I also use electric socks and weather proof gloves. The FootJoy WinterSof gloves work well for me.
It's not uncommon for me to play during the winter months at temps down to 30 degrees.

Back