Come on! I know that it crossed your mind...

NEPA_Lefty

Reaction score
Handicap
I had a Flatso 1.0 on my one putter that I never liked it (the putter, not the grip). But I recently changed the grip on my other putter to a SS pistol GT and really, really like it! It raises the question - Why only on a putter?

I'm SURE I'm not the only one who has had this thought cross my mind.

Discuss. (if it hasn't been before)

I'll be honest, this has never, ever crossed my mind.....ever.

Hahaha. But now you have me contemplating how such a thing would even feel.

~Rock

Don't grips other than the putter have to be round? If one were inclined to follow the rules, of course.

Don't grips other than the putter have to be round? If one were inclined to follow the rules, of course.
Good question. Honestly, Idk. I saw Lamkin Calibrate advertised and they look like they're "teardrop" shaped.
16135955413737972692370003715652.jpg16135955413737972692370003715652.jpg

From the USGA rules book;
For clubs other than putters the grip must be circular in cross-section, except that a continuous, straight, slightly raised rib may be incorporated along the full length of the grip, and a slightly indented spiral is permitted on a wrapped grip or a replica of one.

I've heard of this before, obviously it isn't legal per the USGA but if this helps someone enjoy the game more why not, would maybe allow someone to play more consistently and therefor create more enjoyment.

Never crossed my mind, but to each their own! I believe Matt Scharff did a YouTube video with superstokes on every club and had pretty good results

One of my golf buddies put the largest JumboMax grip on his driver. It didn't feel much different than a SuperStroke, other than being round! That thing felt like you were holding a baseball bat! I didn't try hitting it, but he was blocking everything to the right that day and said he couldn't release his hands - he got rid of it immediately after that round.

There is a you tube video where a young guy put SS putter grips on his clubs.

I find the pistol grip on a putter helps lock my wrist in the stroke, definitely do not want that in a full swing. Not sure how a full round Super Stroke would be.

other than the rules issue (which i honestly didn't know), it seems to be a bad idea. the golf swing uses wrist flexion and extension as an additional source of power, but also proper delivery to assist with dynamic loft, spin, etc. the idea behind no taper putting grips is to quiet the wrists and keep them stable. seems like a bad idea in the full swing.

from my own journey, my wrists have majorly locked up in the full swing over the last 2-3 years. i spent last year (and a lot of $$$) on lessons to try to get the wrists working more naturally again. the improvement to launch, spin and distance is remarkable when the wrists work properly.

I had an old Bullseye putter in the 70's that had a flat paddle grip on it. I thought, EUREKA! - that's when I learned it was against the rules to have it on other clubs...

I’ve tried no taper grips, reverse taper grips, big grips, small grips, ribbed grips, but never a putter grip on anything but a putter. But I have considered it........

When I worked at Golf Galaxy I had a gentleman come in who could barely close his hand enough to shake your hand and he ended up putting the big ol Super Stroke 5.0's on all of his clubs. Cost him almost as much as the clubs he was putting them onto but he didn't come back and get something else. I have no idea how crazy hitting a driver with one of those things on it would feel.

Back