Comments on my swing?

interlooper

Wishing I was golfing now
Reaction score
Handicap
As I am intending on making some changes during the off-season, I thought I would get your thoughts on my swing. I am also posting this in the pro section, but I wouldn't mind hearing your criticism, suggestions and other comments. I have found the most success the last few years by "keeping the club in front of me." However, some of the things I struggle with from time to time are getting too "laid off" and not keeping my rear end back. This is a fairly typical swing of mine. This is a wedge (so I don't hit the ceiling).

p.s. you may also comment on the Chicago winter beer belly if you so desire.

Last edited:
How's your balance? You seem a bit tense in the set-up.

Also, you must hit it pretty far. That's some wicked swing speed with a wedge.

I'm no swing expert, but something I saw is something I've been working on taking out of my swing. It's hard to tell in jeans, but it looks like you are taking the flex out of your leg on your backswing, this can lead to getting too much hip turn, and not getting enough coil between your lower and upper body. This is somehting I have been working on, and when I am doing it righ it leads to more power and consistency.

Like I'm said, I"m no expert jsut something my pro has pointed out as a flaw in my swing.

You have a strong set up, nice. Great posture, nice. The club is in a great position at the top and you left arm is down line at impact. These are all great and you should build on them.
You right leg, as wakerider said, is straight when the club is at its apex. As a result you have a fly right elbow on the down swing. Keep the flex in your right knee through out the swing and try to keep you right elbow closer to you right hip on the down swing. If you can these down you will be able free wheel.

Are you not supposed to take a divot with a wedge ...just saying :D

Haha. I'm sure that would go over well with the wife.

How's your balance? You seem a bit tense in the set-up.

Also, you must hit it pretty far. That's some wicked swing speed with a wedge.

Thanks, Pete. Yes, at times I would say that I'm a little too tense at setup and through swing. Cannot remember exactly what it was in this swing, but there are times on the course that I need to remind myself to loosen up. I'm am going to be more conscious of this during my next session at the range. Thanks.

Haha. I don't typically swing that fast with a wedge, but I wanted to show a full swing (not a 3/4 swing)for purposes of the video Wedge is necessary in the basement because of the ceiling height. I'm already ruining the carpet, I cannot afford fixing the ceiling too.

I'm no swing expert, but something I saw is something I've been working on taking out of my swing. It's hard to tell in jeans, but it looks like you are taking the flex out of your leg on your backswing, this can lead to getting too much hip turn, and not getting enough coil between your lower and upper body. This is somehting I have been working on, and when I am doing it righ it leads to more power and consistency.

Like I'm said, I"m no expert jsut something my pro has pointed out as a flaw in my swing.

You have a strong set up, nice. Great posture, nice. The club is in a great position at the top and you left arm is down line at impact. These are all great and you should build on them.
You right leg, as wakerider said, is straight when the club is at its apex. As a result you have a fly right elbow on the down swing. Keep the flex in your right knee through out the swing and try to keep you right elbow closer to you right hip on the down swing. If you can these down you will be able free wheel.

I think tadashi is spot on with his advice looper. I actually like the posture and positions a lot but it looks like the finish might be a bit out of balance. In all honesty, your swing kind of reminds me of mine and I got some feedback from the GolfTEC guys that might be useful for you (particularly when it comes to that back leg).

You can read here if you want to:

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?25010-Looking-for-Constructive-Criticism

Thanks guys. Yes, it doesn't completely straighten, but I believe I do take out too much flex in the right knee. It is almost Ian Poulter-ish isn't it? I think I do this so as to better post up on the inside of my right heel and not roll it to the outside. However, Kaymer still posts up quite nice and retains good knee bend. I will definitely work on this... Thanks.

Freddie is good. Pete is also right about tension. Relax a bit. That will help your balance, too. Less tension and tucking the right elbow in a little bit will stop what looks like a slight over the top move. Video a few swings at half speed. That makes it easier to see the swing plane angles.

Kevin

I watched again. You're not really over the top.

Kevin

I'm with Pete, 1st thing I thought of when I saw your video....tension. It is amazing what a calm, relaxed and loose grip pressure will do for a golf swing. You take the waggles, which is intended to help relax you and your golf swing. Now take the waggles and let your grip, arms, lets and body relax. Kuddos for putting your swing up to let us Hackers give input!

Freddie is good. Pete is also right about tension. Relax a bit. That will help your balance, too. Less tension and tucking the right elbow in a little bit will stop what looks like a slight over the top move. Video a few swings at half speed. That makes it easier to see the swing plane angles.

Kevin

I watched again. You're not really over the top.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. Yeah, I'm not over the top. My back swing plane is 12 degrees over the shaft plane when my left arm is parallel to the ground in the back swing. I drop it down so that it is 4 degrees less than that at impact. However, I want to get it to 6 degrees under. Tucking that right elbow a bit more may get me down those 2 degrees. Thanks, man... I think that can help with consistency.

I did these videos on V1. I had it slow-mo with the lines drawn out and everything, but when I shared it on YouTube, I lost all of those functions. Not sure what I did. Ugh.

Like everybody has been saying, looks pretty solid but your balance seemed to be off in the follow through. I wouldn't tinker with it too much. It looks pretty solid. Besides, if someone offered me the ugliest swing ever but would assure me I would shoot/break par, I'd take it. Wouldn't worry too much on how it looks. As long as the result is positive!

It was the speed of the swing and that right elbow sticking out slightly that made it look over the top at first glance. Looks pretty solid, though, buddy. We need to play together next season. I'll let you beat up on the old man. I might have to bring Grace along so you would have some competition. lol.

Kevin

Video a few swings at half speed. That makes it easier to see the swing plane angles.

Kevin

Couldn't get half speed, but how about some screen shots with the lines drawn. Should give an idea.

V1Golf.jpg

Here is setup. The lines are drawn with the shaft angle and then my desired angle when my left arm is parallel to the ground: 12 degrees over the shaft angle. I also drew a line over the head and the butt to see the movement throughout the swing. As some have noticed, I am tense in this setup.... I plan to work on that.

V1Golf-1.jpg

This is halfway back. The hands and club are within a degree of where I optimally want to be. My butt is in the line, or perhaps a bit deeper and my head is still level. However, many have pointed out that my right leg is losing its flex here and into the top. I want to work on this now. Thank you for pointing this out!

V1Golf-2.jpg

This is the top. My hands are where i want them. I want them about 1-2 degrees higher than my half-way back angle (it appears about 1 degree higher). My head is ever so slightly raised, but my rear end is still good. My shaft is just slightly laid off here, this wouldn't be a problem in this swing, but sometimes it becomes more laid off and can cause problems. Something I am alway conscious of. And whoa... Look at the right leg now. It is not completely straight, but it has lost tons of flex. I think this may also contribute to the slight head lift too. Definitely going to work on this. Thanks again for pointing it out!

V1Golf-3.jpg

This is half way down. I am OK with where the club is and the amount of lag. I dropped it inside the plane I maintained at the top. I have began my "squat" into the ball and maintain my butt line. As Esox and I discussed, though, I wouldn't mind coming in a degree or two deeper though (I.e. get that right elbow a bit closer as Esox noted). This potentially may be solved by solving the right leg issue. We will see.

V1Golf-4.jpg

This is just before impact. This top line is from where I was at the top (instead of halfway back). That is why it is at 13 degrees rather than 12. I am beginning to get my hips facing the target line while the shoulders are lagging behind a bit. I wouldn't mind increasing that ratio a bit though. I'm still under the plane at the top and my club head is coming down lower, near the shaft plane. Again, though this is generally where I like it coming down, I wouldn't mind getting it a degree lower. I am hoping the right leg issue will fix that.

Now that these show angles, etc., please feel free to critique other parts too. Thanks a lot guys!!!

Man, I need to get that software for Grace. Is that the $40 version for a PC?

It is a little laid off at the top. That could be the leg. Then at half way down the butt of the grip is pointing just inside the 12* mark which would be where the ball would be. If your right elbow was tucked just a tad more, and that might come with a bit more right leg knee flex, I bet that grip end would be pointing directly at the ball and going down plane. That would also give you the 1-2* more in the slot you're looking for.

Take that with a grain of salt, but Gracie has been working on the same thing, only she was over the top. Her coach tells her to put that right elbow in her pocket. That keeps it simple for her, and its the difference between a draw and a cut, or worse, a huge slice. Also improves her lag and thus her power. She has trouble releasing her hands competely though at impact.

That does not appear to be your problem. lol. Good stuff man, you're real close.

Kevin

Man, I need to get that software for Grace. Is that the $40 version for a PC?

It is a little laid off at the top. That could be the leg. Then at half way down the butt of the grip is pointing just inside the 12* mark which would be where the ball would be. If your right elbow was tucked just a tad more, and that might come with a bit more right leg knee flex, I bet that grip end would be pointing directly at the ball and going down plane. That would also give you the 1-2* more in the slot you're looking for.

Take that with a grain of salt, but Gracie has been working on the same thing, only she was over the top. Her coach tells her to put that right elbow in her pocket. That keeps it simple for her, and its the difference between a draw and a cut, or worse, a huge slice. Also improves her lag and thus her power. She has trouble releasing her hands competely though at impact.

That does not appear to be your problem. lol. Good stuff man, you're real close.

Kevin

Good stuff, Kevin. Thanks. Yeah, if I get one more degree in the slot, I am pretty much where Adam Scott and Nick Watney are in the slot (I swing in front of my body like they do... or at least I pretend to... Haha). This would be good, because heaven forbid I go a degree or two the wrong direction, then we are in pull hook territory. I am going to work on this all this week.

Also, this is the $4 iPad/iPhone app version. I saw the thread on it and downloaded it... Now I don't have to bug my friend for his software on his laptop anymore.

OK, guys. Based upon my thoughts after reviewing/analyzing the screen caps and, more importantly, reading your thoughts on my swing, I have decided to start working on several of those things we discussed. I thought I would post some of the initial results and get some more of your thoughts.

Generally, here are some of the things I have been working on the last week: a) more relaxed at address; b) more knee bend at address; c) slightly flatter take back, but still in front of me; d) keep more bend in right leg at top; and d) a couple more degrees lower at impact.

I have lost a couple yards with this swing, but think it will come back with time. Even if it doesn't, if more consistency is added, I would be happy.

I appreciate ANY feedback, thoughts and criticism. Thanks, guys!

In this cap, I am more relaxed at address. I have a bit more knee bend and my right arm is slightly more bent at the elbow. It took me some time to get used to this, but with more comfort I hope it will be second nature.
V1Golf-13.jpg

In this cap, I am taking the club back more on the address plane, rather than coming up off it immediately. This will assist in me getting a bit deeper at the top.
V1Golf-14.jpg

In this cap, I am really happy about this position. I have just now started coming off the address plane and am keeping the club in front of me, keeping me in a good position. My head is in a good spot and my butt is still deep.
V1Golf-15.jpg

This cap has always been a critical part of my swing. I see good things and things I want to work on. First, here I am 9 degrees over the address plane. The hands are still in front of me, but compared to the 12 degrees I typically was at here, I am a bit deeper. Another thing I like is that while my arms and hands are deeper, my shoulders are turning on a slightly steeper plane. My head and rear end are also in decent position. My club, however, is slightly laid-off about 2 degrees. I want this to be directly in line with the line at this position.
V1Golf-16.jpg

Here is the top. Again, there are good things and things I think I should work on. First, I am deeper here, yet I also seemed to be able to get higher hands too. The butt of the club is now about 10 degrees over the address plane, where typically it was 12-13 degrees higher before. The club shaft is right on line as well, which I really like. The left wrist is ever so slightly cupped, but nearly flat. I am OK with this. But man, look at the right leg again! While it is more bent than it was a week ago, I cannot seem to keep good bend in the leg. I definitely need to work on this and would appreciate any drills.
V1Golf-17.jpg

Here is halfway down. As my left knee started making its move towards the target, it dropped my hands (and head) under the plane at the top. The shaft is still pointed right down to the ball, which I really like. But you can see that I am starting to come, ever so slightly, off the butt line.
V1Golf-18.jpg

Here my hips have started opening, but I wouldn't mind them a bit more open here. My elbow has dropped to a much better position in this swing. It is much closer to my pants pocket as Esox would say and nearly down to the address plane. I am much happier with this position, but may experiment with getting it even lower/closer to the pocket. But man, look at the butt line now and how I have moved off of it. The weird thing, however, is that while my butt moved off the line, my head moved back slightly. I want to work on that position. Again, I like the shaft position in this cap.
V1Golf-19.jpg

Here is approximately the point of impact. My hips have opened and my shoulders have opened as well (I like that position). I drew the line of the shaft at impact as compared to the line at address. It is about 5.5 degrees (5 degrees under the plane at the top). Last week I was at about 8 degrees (4 degrees under my steeper plane at the top). I am much happier about this position and think it can lead to more consistency. I like the amount of head drop, but again, I need to figure out the tush line and the head moving back.
V1Golf-20.jpg

Here is the first past of the folllow through. I am not sure exactly what this is supposed to look like, but thought the club coming out around where my plane at the top was a good sign. I also seemed to have fully released by this point. If someone has more insight on this position, please feel free to inform me.
V1Golf-21.jpg

Here is the finish. Formed a 'T' with my spine angle and the shaft, which I think is a good thing but would appreciate your feedback on this position.
V1Golf-22.jpg

This looks mighty fine - but like you say I'd also like to see some more separation between the hips and upper body in the down swing. That could mean serious distance. How's your flexibility in that area?

Looks to me like your shoulders are open a little relative to your hips and feet position at address, is that intentional or is it just a camera angle illusion? As long as your right arm is inside (closer to your body) of your left it may not be a problem, it is easier to come over the top from that starting point with no other adjustment.

This looks mighty fine - but like you say I'd also like to see some more separation between the hips and upper body in the down swing. That could mean serious distance. How's your flexibility in that area?

Yeah; I want to work on that too. I would say my flexibility there (with the hip flexors and the core) is B+/A-. I want it to be an A. Knowing you (through some of your posts), you probably have some good insight to increase flexibility there. Any exercises or drills in mind?

Looks to me like your shoulders are open a little relative to your hips and feet position at address, is that intentional or is it just a camera angle illusion? As long as your right arm is inside (closer to your body) of your left it may not be a problem, it is easier to come over the top from that starting point with no other adjustment.

I don't think I was open, but cannot say for sure. I will definitely check if it was setup or camera angle issue; thank you for the comment. I don't have an issue with coming over the top, but am always willing to look at how to improve the setup position.

Your swing looks really good overall but I think it would be great to see a face on view. Especially, if your right leg is straightening, your hips may be swaying and a face on view will show this clearly. It may be easily corrected with the correct setup angles. Another thing that I would check is if the distance between your hands at address and the distance from your body increases in the take away (2nd and 3rd picture). If it does it usually means you're not turning away but swaying and pushing/lifting the club straight back with your left arm. Ideally you want turn your shoulders right from the beginning - the way I feel this is by keeping my hip still but turning my shoulders during the take away.

Your swing looks really good overall but I think it would be great to see a face on view. Especially, if your right leg is straightening, your hips may be swaying and a face on view will show this clearly. It may be easily corrected with the correct setup angles. Another thing that I would check is if the distance between your hands at address and the distance from your body increases in the take away (2nd and 3rd picture). If it does it usually means you're not turning away but swaying and pushing/lifting the club straight back with your left arm. Ideally you want turn your shoulders right from the beginning - the way I feel this is by keeping my hip still but turning my shoulders during the take away.

Yes, I will try next week to get some face on views so we can check the angles etc. good idea; thanks. With respect to the the hands getting slightly further from the body in the initial part of the backswing, that is absolutely what is happening. And it is intentional. I think it is a pretty common backswing technique and used by players such as Adam Scott, Nick Watney and many others. After trying all types of backswings (including flatter backswings) I have found this is the best for me. It allows me to keep the club in front of me, while still getting the hands deeper than my right shoulder in the turn and the left shoulder under the chin.

Wow, I love that shoulder angle through impact. You really get the right shoulder under. I'm showing that to my daughter. That's exactly what she's working on. Looks good to me, man, but there are certainly guys here that know more than i do.

Kevin

Yes, I will try next week to get some face on views so we can check the angles etc. good idea; thanks. With respect to the the hands getting slightly further from the body in the initial part of the backswing, that is absolutely what is happening. And it is intentional. I think it is a pretty common backswing technique and used by players such as Adam Scott, Nick Watney and many others. After trying all types of backswings (including flatter backswings) I have found this is the best for me. It allows me to keep the club in front of me, while still getting the hands deeper than my right shoulder in the turn and the left shoulder under the chin.

Sounds good and if it works for you that is what you should continue to do. Looking forward to seeing your face on view.

Back