Committing to the Shot

Tedfroop

One eyed and left handed
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 10.8
We all know that you should commit to the shot fully before stepping in. I know it too but there are times I don't do it and am still trying to figure it out over the ball.

So here is the questions.

Do you fully commit to every shot before you step in?

Is it part of your routine to do that?

Is that commitment made in the same place in your routine every time?

Moved to Swing Tips.

We all know that you should commit to the shot fully before stepping in. I know it too but there are times I don't do it and am still trying to figure it out over the ball.

Nope, and the ones I don't end up terrible.

If it's not a stock/full club iron/wedge into a green or a straight tee shot then yes I do. If the shot calls for me to choke down a bit to take a couple yards off or for me to carry the green side bunker, go over the tree, go under the tree.

Sometimes it's easy when I get to the ball cause there is only one or two options, if I have multiple options to get the ball where I want it to go then I make the commitment before I step up to the ball and then confirm my commitment as I address the ball and take the last look at where I want it to go and trace the path I want it to take back to the ball.

Good question. For me I like to stand behind the ball and see my landing area and get my shoulders parallel to my target (usually the top of a tree) I like a target small and long range. As I approach the ball I twirl my club and feel that is when I commit to the shot. I then waggle and stare down my long range target and fire away. When I'm focused it works well but you have played with me so obviously it doesn't happen work out every time.

Nope, and the ones I don't end up terrible.

If it's not a stock/full club iron/wedge into a green or a straight tee shot then yes I do. If the shot calls for me to choke down a bit to take a couple yards off or for me to carry the green side bunker, go over the tree, go under the tree.

Sometimes it's easy when I get to the ball cause there is only one or two options, if I have multiple options to get the ball where I want it to go then I make the commitment before I step up to the ball and then confirm my commitment as I address the ball and take the last look at where I want it to go and trace the path I want it to take back to the ball.

I'm with you there. I sometimes am over the ball going how do I want this shot to go? I am getting better at backing out and starting over when it doesn't feel right but the worst ones for me are little 1/4 wedge chips and pitches out of the rough or stuff in the 10 to 40 yard range. I do get practice for those but its usually uphill to the target and when you get to the flat its different.

Most of the rest I am committed when I pull the club out of the bag. I know the yardage, the club I need, and then its just aim ready fire.

Yes I do fully commit to my shot before stepping in. It is a part of my routine, when I'm standing behind the ball and looking down line to visualize the shot, and it is done in the same place in my routine each time.
Determine the shot and or shape, visualize this, step up after a few practice swings, and execute the shot.

I see the shot in my mind and they try to hit it. If you are standing over the ball, about to swing and have any doubts, you need to back away and take another look at it. If you can't see the shot, you can't possibly hope to hit the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Back