Comparing Fairway Wood Data on Simulators

Just_Brad

#GD 2023Legacy #HYFY - JB says "Be a Brad"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When you look at data on simulators/launch monitors for fairway woods, are you doing so off the mat or teed up?

I am trying to figure out distances for gapping, and am struggling if off the mat info is useful (with turf i teraction as it is).

Am I better off going more off teed up info, and taking off the mat info with some skepticism?

For me the mat. I can’t tee a sim low enough. Abd it’s never the same as actual golf. So only looking for the delta between comparisons.

If I was going to hit it mostly off the tee, I'd want off the tee data. If I was going to hit it mostly off the deck, I'd want off the deck data. Or better yet, if I had the time to do both on the sim for comparison purposes, I would.

I tee the ball so low when hitting a FW I just hit directly off the mat.

Off the mat. I tee it on the shortest of tees anyhow if its on a tee. If you are teeing it too high you are not hitting it like a fairway, but a really lofted driver. Fairways are like irons, hit with a descending blow. And when I look at the data, unless I am turning and burning it, I want drop and stop, with consistent carry yardage. Thats why I play the Ping G430's instead of the lower spinning TSR's which were longer but precise yardage was hard to hit with more rollout and the vagaries of terrain. I was keeping the 16'.5* TSR in the bag as my longest fairway wood because the extra yards might come in handy. They didn't, precision means more to me than raw distance, even at my advanced age. It's a target game, not a brute force game.

Ya it's tricky. I think you have to hit both and then see where you think that translates to grass based on strikes.

Like most, if comparing FW I hit directly off the matt. In simulation for golf, I do use a small tee on par 3 holes.

Back