Love being retired here in El Paso...it has changed quite a bit if you have not been here for a few years.

There was a Marine Corps barracks at Ft. Bliss that I did some of my advance school training at during 1984. So yes it's definitely been a few years since I've been there.
My nephew was there last year for a training op with the Army. He said it was still an interesting place. Now back to the subject at hand. We've actually been to more
shows the last couple of years than probably the previous 5-10 years. I also think it helps to have a little more disposable income and you can buy better seats. This year
in order we've seen Journey/Asia, Queensryche/Kix, and Yngwie Malmsteen. We've got the previously mentioned shows along with Rick Springfield in Sept. There's actually
a few more we're contemplating before the year is over.

There are only 3 must see bands for me anymore. Tool, Muse and NIN. NIN I actually think put on the best show of all three, I get mid level seat for all of them, grab some grub and drink and enjoy the show. I saw the show in the link below, and was just blown away.

He's been doing so much soundtrack stuff lately. I think 'The Fragile' is one of the great musical pieces of work of my lifetime. I think lyrically it might be sub par but musically the whole two disc set is a masterpiece.

I like some of his other albums - 'Year Zero' and 'With Teeth' - but I am not crazy about 'Downward Spiral' (probably because of the atheist stuff - which I'm aware permeates almost all of the stuff he's ever done). There are amazing moments on 'PHM' too - if not the whole thing.

He's been doing so much soundtrack stuff lately. I think 'The Fragile' is one of the great musical pieces of work of my lifetime. I think lyrically it might be sub par but musically the whole two disc set is a masterpiece.

I like some of his other albums - 'Year Zero' and 'With Teeth' - but I am not crazy about 'Downward Spiral' (probably because of the atheist stuff - which I'm aware permeates almost all of the stuff he's ever done). There are amazing moments on 'PHM' too - if not the whole thing.

The Fragile and Hesitation Marks are my two favorites by far. And I agree the fragile from front to back is just amazing. I honestly cannot name a favorite song on The fragile, but if I absolutely had to choose it would probably be between We're In this together or No You Don't. But see then I think "what about Le Mer or the wretched???"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far this summer we've seen...
The XX (awesome show)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
The Cure

Coming up next is (tickets in hand)
Katy Perry
Depeche Mode
Ed Sheeran

Little late posting it, but I went to the Metallica concert in Dallas on the 16th of last month. I'm not a big fan of concerts, mainly because of the crowds, but it was an AMAZING show.

Taking my wife to see John Mayer tomorrow night. Brownie points. :D

So far this summer we've seen...
The XX (awesome show)
Red Hot Chilli Peppers
The Cure

Coming up next is (tickets in hand)
Katy Perry
Depeche Mode
Ed Sheeran
Would love to see Depeche Mode...enjoy the show.

Bought wife tickets for her BD to Faith Hill / Tim McGraw concert in Dallas come Oct.

Bought wife tickets for her BD to Faith Hill / Tim McGraw concert in Dallas come Oct.

Saw them a couple of years ago when they were touring with George Strait. He was fantastic, they were good. We went to Sam Hunt over the weekend, which was energetic...

So far this year...

Elton John
Sammy Hagar
Matchbox 20

Coming up....
Boz Scaggs/Michael McDonald
Nickelback/Daughtry
Scorpions/Megadeth
Foo Fighters (maybe in December)

Saw this group back in June over three days at Taste of Country Music Festival in NY:

Jason Aldean
Miranda Lambert
Chris Young
Kip Moore
Tyler Farr
Maren Morris
Joe Nichols
Maddie And Tae
Cody Johnson
RaeLynn
Steve Moakler
SmithField
Courtney Cole
Brooke Eden
Jackson Michelson

Seeing the following next month here in VT:
Brantley Gilbert
Canaan Smith

I'm pretty excited for the coming months. September we'll see Garth Brooks and November is Foo Fighters. I've wanted to see the Foo Fighters for a long time and am pretty pumped about that one.

Saw Don Henley in Dallas on Saturday night - 70th Birthday Concert - "It's just a number"

Great show, Stevie Nicks, Joe Walsh, Timothy B Schmit were there along with Patty Smyth

Taking my wife to see John Mayer tomorrow night. Brownie points. :D
I hope it's actually his blues trio. The dude is one of the best guitarists alive. He absolutely shreds.

I'm going to see Foghat, Blue Oyster Cult and Spike and the Impalers this Sunday.

Without having read this entire thread and hardly any of the posts, I think iron covers are an absolute abomination - it's utterly preposterous anyone would ever use them.

Just my two cents...

We're trying to decide whether to go see them a second time this tour since they'll be here locally. Really liked the staging for this one as well.

The New Power Generation
Lauryn Hill
Macy Gray
Bryan Ferry
Brian Wilson
John Newman
Grace Jones
Tom Jones

Saw all of them at Montreux early July. Saw the Pet Shop Boys in Amsterdam once I returned. Most concerts were good, except Lauryn Hill. Tom Jones at age 77 was the most energetic, with the best voice and the best show.

We're trying to decide whether to go see them a second time this tour since they'll be here locally. Really liked the staging for this one as well.

We normally would sit in the stands but think I'm going to try and get tickets for the lower ground level, as close as we can get without spending $1K on tickets!

We normally would sit in the stands but think I'm going to try and get tickets for the lower ground level, as close as we can get without spending $1K on tickets!

It's well worth it. It's a big stage and they both move around all over the place. The screen behind the stage is probably the biggest I've ever seen. Like the Longhorn-tron in Austin (or whatever it's called).

This will give you an idea of the screen. You can see the band at the bottom of the pic. We were standing at the front of the stage, and this wasn't even the entire thing.

11b4d4ec6d8e95c7e2284f7aa825162e.jpg

I hope it's actually his blues trio. The dude is one of the best guitarists alive. He absolutely shreds.

It was a really good show. They did a few songs full band, then he did a few acoustic songs. After that, JM3 (his blues trio) came out and did a few songs, followed by more full band stuff. And I agree... he's definitely one of the best guitarists around IMO. Watching him play reminds me of my late teens-early 20's. There was a local band called Black Current (rock n blues style) that played a local venue almost every weekend. Their guitar player was a kid named Rocco Deluca. He played the same way and would break out in to these bluesy guitar solos that just blew my mind.

Last edited:
It was a really good show. They did a few songs full band, then he did a few acoustic songs. After that, JM3 (his blues trio) came out and did a few songs, followed by more full band stuff. And I agree... he's definitely one of the best guitarists around IMO. Watching him play reminds me of my late teens-early 20's. There was a local band called Black Current (rock n blues style) that played a local venue almost every weekend. Their guitar player was a kid named Rocco Deluca. He played the same way and would break out in to these bluesy guitar solos that just blew my mind.

Many years ago, 60 Minutes did a segment on him where he played some SRV and talked about his guitar influences. Even then you could see he was masterful on the guitar. Eric Clapton has been quoted as saying how impressed his is with JM's guitar work.

I'm going to see Foghat, Blue Oyster Cult and Spike and the Impalers this Sunday.

I saw Foghat back in...1983 open for Triumph. Great show. Their live version of Slow Ride is still one of the best. As for current shows, non hardrock this Saturday with Lifehouse and Switchfoot.

Back