Confused- Driver Fitment Impact on Transition

Acesteve

Reaction score
Handicap
Driver
Historically I'm a poor driver of the golf ball. I'm now able to pinpoint most of the issue to a rushed transition where either I loose balance, let the right hand take over, or both. During this lockdown I've played quite a bit and practiced. Through all this I found an old driver of my sons (TM R7) for some reason I transition better with both in practice and on the course. So I set up my gamer and my 2010 era driver to same grip, similar headweight and as close to same total weight. Clearly the heads are different and the shafts are different. Both my 2010 and 2017 driver are longer then the R7 because they are lower spin drivers in my hand. Still, while I can swing all better then 3 months ago, I can still detect for reasons I don't understand that I naturally transition the old R7 better then the other two and this reduces the Number poor quality hits I get relative to the others. The R7 is 45inch driver with the stock regular shaft in it, the 2010 is a 45.5inch shaft Cleveland launcher with ultralight stiff shaft, the 2017 is a Wilson Triton with a cut down 50g class stiff shaft. Triton plays at 44 1/8th.

anyone seen this problem and have any idea? I'm interested in a new driver but thinking it very possible I would find I'm back to a rushed transition.

Historically I'm a poor driver of the golf ball. I'm now able to pinpoint most of the issue to a rushed transition where either I loose balance, let the right hand take over, or both. During this lockdown I've played quite a bit and practiced. Through all this I found an old driver of my sons (TM R7) for some reason I transition better with both in practice and on the course. So I set up my gamer and my 2010 era driver to same grip, similar headweight and as close to same total weight. Clearly the heads are different and the shafts are different. Both my 2010 and 2017 driver are longer then the R7 because they are lower spin drivers in my hand. Still, while I can swing all better then 3 months ago, I can still detect for reasons I don't understand that I naturally transition the old R7 better then the other two and this reduces the Number poor quality hits I get relative to the others. The R7 is 45inch driver with the stock regular shaft in it, the 2010 is a 45.5inch shaft Cleveland launcher with ultralight stiff shaft, the 2017 is a Wilson Triton with a cut down 50g class stiff shaft. Triton plays at 44 1/8th.

anyone seen this problem and have any idea? I'm interested in a new driver but thinking it very possible I would find I'm back to a rushed transition.

No way to know what the issue is without having some more information. What shafts exactly are in all 3 drivers? What is the swingweight of the drivers? What grips are on them? I've had a few clients come through that swing older drivers "better" simply because they struggle with larger headed drivers. However, with some work and some data on their swing tendencies, we are able to put them in the right club.

The TM R7 has the stock Fujikura REAX 60 shaft in it- regular. Head is full 460cc. D2. 45 inch shaft. Crossline full cord grip.

The Wilson Triton is set at D2.5 to D3, 460cc, same crossline full cord grip, Adilla RIP Phenom shaft stiff. Shaft is 44 1/8. I set this driver up to be as identical in SW and grip as I could get it to the TM. The total weight of the Triton is within fractions of an ounce of the TM R7. I would think that in my moderate speed backswing hands and body would not tell of any difference and thus would not react any different. Still, something is different.

My uneducated guess is that your are feeling the club head in the regular flex better. That feel is allowing you to have a consistent start to your transition.

I have two Wilson Triton driver heads, one in a fujikura stiff shaft the other on a stock Aldila regular shaft.

On the regular flex shaft I feel the club head and with the stiff shaft it feels more like I am swinging a pole.

YMMV

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Back