Consecutive Wins on Tour

RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Byron Nelson had 11, Tiger had 7, and the only guys not named Tiger to have more than 2 consecutive wins since 2000 are Vijay, Rory, and DJ.

Do you think we ever seen anyone go for more than 3 in a row again?

Ever.... yes, it will happen I'm sure at some point... I'll probably not be alive to see it but I'd say it will happen again.

I think 3 will happen but 4 never will. Hope I’m wrong.

Someone might catch lighting in a bottle and card 3-4 in a row sometime in the next 25 years. 11 or 7 ???? Not a chance.

No. I could see three when someone has it going, but I wouldn’t bet on more than 3. Fields are just too deep.

soon? no
ever? yes

11 and 7 in a row is 🍌🍌🍌🍌

Definitely, yes.

Maybe 2/3 but no more. Too hard these days.

I thought DJ had done it a couple times though.

Only four different players have had 4 or more consecutive wins (per Wikipedia 😬)
1615250815713.png

I think in golf, and other sports/games you never say never. 3-7 wins in a row is doable. Given the right circumstances similar to what Nelson had to deal with , 11, or more in a row is possible.

I have no doubt some young phenom in the distant future will have his/her fans saying "Tiger/Annika who?".

Obviously I won't see it, most of us wont. However, I strongly, strongly believe it will happen.

This is why I have such a hard time with the "goat" claims, because it doesn't take into account what will happen in the future.

I won't say never because that's a long time, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. The fields are too deep and there's nobody that dominant anymore.

It may happen at some point, but I have no idea when that will be, as there are so many good players these days that any one of them can win on a given week, so putting together a run of multiple wins back to back isn't going to be an easy feat

Can't see that anytime soon. The press would put too much pressure on the guy to handle it. Much like the MLB 56 game hitting streak. The constant questions would add up he'd buckle

I just have a really difficult time imagining someone as far ahead of the field as Tiger was for a decade emerging again anytime soon and he is the only person since 1952 to do it. I don't think we yet truly appreciate how good Tiger was for a decade. Anyone that thinks there will be another Tiger anytime soon is dreaming. Right now I feel like there are 20-30 or so Nick Faldo/Greg Norman/Payne Stewart quality players on Tour so the fields are as deep as they have ever been and winning is just so difficult. It would take a generational talent to come out and dominate like that. I'm talking Dechambeau length, Morikawa iron game, and Webb Simpson putting. That's what Tiger was for a decade.

I would honestly be surprised if anyone wins two consecutive full field tournaments. A lot of the back to back winners recently have a WGC or invite-only event mixed in. When there's a full 150 player field, the margin for error is razor thin.

Brendon Todd came pretty close in 2019. back to back then 4th and 3rd. he might have skipped a tournament in between those 4 starts. i dont remember

Brendon Todd came pretty close in 2019. back to back then 4th and 3rd. he might have skipped a tournament in between those 4 starts. i dont remember
I knew he went back to back, but I didn’t realize how close he was to 3 in a row. Wow!

Justin Rose was really close to 3 straight sometime in that 2009-2010 time frame. I remember it because it was right when the Ghost putter came out and that's what he was using. JDay had something silly like 4 out of 6 back in 2015.

I don't see why it won't happen again

Most top players don't even play 4 tournaments in a row anymore, so I vote NO WAY !!
This is a good point. Would Morikawa count as a back to back winner this week since he did not enter the API?

Are Bryson and Morikawa eligible this week?

This is a good point. Would Morikawa count as a back to back winner this week since he did not enter the API?
I view it as consecutive starts. Not sure what the official determination is.

Back