lowfi

Reaction score
Handicap
8.8 OOB
Is this a dumb topic? I feel like the answer will always be...practice more.

I am struggling with consistency off of the tee box and it is now causing me to hesistate and I get nervous when teeing off.

I typically drive the ball 255-275 and my miss is either a high fade or sometimes a snap hook. The problem is I either hit a fantastic drive or a drive that is OOB. Because I hit the ball decent, when I miss the ball it FLIES OOB. It's rarely in between. Today I hit 11 of 14 fairways, with the other three being OOB, costing some serious strokes. I would have shot under 80 today, but my penalty strokes keep killing me.

Does anyone have any tips for this? I know that I need to get lessons, but am currently saving up. They are quite pricey around here and I dont think that one will do the trick.

Cheers,

Low

The obvious answer is practice. But maybe it's more than that. Maybe it's course management. With the holes you went OB on...did you run through the fairway, could you have maybe played an iron or some other club to keep it in play? Maybe they are nemesis holes and you have a mental block on them. I know that happens for me on some holes. I try different things until I get it right.

I'm with Biggsy. Try taking a lesser club when you're uncomfortable on the tee. I often hit long irons off the tee, and it helps me keep the ball in bounds much more.

A two way miss is killer dude. However if that were me I would aim a touch toward whichever miss was LEAST common. How is your 3 wood off the tee?

--
Tapatalk2

A two way miss is killer dude. However if that were me I would aim a touch toward whichever miss was LEAST common. How is your 3 wood off the tee?

--
Tapatalk2

Last time I tried that it went straight as an arrow over a fence and OOB. Now I just hit it straight and pray. i am going to start teeing off with a hybrid and see if hitting the fairway more will help even though I am losing distance.

Last time I tried that it went straight as an arrow over a fence and OOB. Now I just hit it straight and pray. i am going to start teeing off with a hybrid and see if hitting the fairway more will help even though I am losing distance.

Lol that's Murphy's law buddy. Best way to hit it straight is to like up for a fade or draw.

--
Tapatalk2

Interesting that your misses are either a fade or a snap hook.. Those seem like two totally different issues right there. Which one is the more common miss? I'd encourage practicing swing thoughts that focus on correcting that specific flaw.

I had this exact problem mate and am just working on fixing it and i will all most guarantee that its to do with swinging to fast.
I figured it out recently as my hands were beating the club to the ball but i was still making perfect contact this was causing a "fade" allthough it was really more of a push right, then the hook is caused by trying to fix this on the way down, when done right your hitting it straight, when overdone you snap hook..

What I would recommend is going to the range trying to swing back slower and with a wider swing plane if possible, this worked for me anyway and it sounds like you are quite similar

I had this exact problem mate and am just working on fixing it and i will all most guarantee that its to do with swinging to fast.
I figured it out recently as my hands were beating the club to the ball but i was still making perfect contact this was causing a "fade" allthough it was really more of a push right, then the hook is caused by trying to fix this on the way down, when done right your hitting it straight, when overdone you snap hook..

What I would recommend is going to the range trying to swing back slower and with a wider swing plane if possible, this worked for me anyway and it sounds like you are quite similar

I think this some pretty solid advise. I had a two way miss and this was my exact problem. My other question for you is what's your swing thought while hitting your driver?

Tapaway!

I think this some pretty solid advise. I had a two way miss and this was my exact problem. My other question for you is what's your swing thought while hitting your driver?

Tapaway!

Is this directed at me or him? First thanks for saying my advice was good :)

and if the question is to me, I am more of a natural golfer than one thats worked on and my approach to golf is very casual and I'm only starting to work on it now, I generally just sing to myself in my head while swinging

Is this directed at me or him? First thanks for saying my advice was good :)

and if the question is to me, I am more of a natural golfer than one thats worked on and my approach to golf is very casual and I'm only starting to work on it now, I generally just sing to myself in my head while swinging

It was directed at him. I found I had to have a solid swing thought all the time once I figured it out to keep it controlled. Also if you have a lot of 'do nots' in you head most likely you will.

Tapaway!

Consistency comes from a stable base, a good smooth turn both ways and a solid setup that puts you in the same position over the ball every time.

I had the same problem. Looking back were those shots on long par 5's or par 4's where you thought you could drive the green? I focused on a smooth tempo for all my shots and the consistency got better. Still have issues at times but defiantly better.

I've been focusing on not sliding and my aim, I've notice my aim has been crappy and my upper and lower body don't agree with each other so I use the shaft of my club to check my alignment before every tee shot and I am more consistent and can swing without worrying since I know my aim and my hip turn is great.

I think that you guys are right. I feel that my arms are swinging too fast and beating the clubhead to the ball. Are their any good drills or moves to stop this?

Thanks!

I think that you guys are right. I feel that my arms are swinging too fast and beating the clubhead to the ball. Are their any good drills or moves to stop this?

Thanks!

Perhaps using more body and less arms would help

thats a great drill...I feel that lag with my irons not so much with the driver!

The obvious answer is practice. But maybe it's more than that. Maybe it's course management. With the holes you went OB on...did you run through the fairway, could you have maybe played an iron or some other club to keep it in play? Maybe they are nemesis holes and you have a mental block on them. I know that happens for me on some holes. I try different things until I get it right.

This is great advice.....maybe a 3W or hybrid off the tee on tighter holes.

Something else that has really helped my with my driver is tempo.....I made myself try to swing about 85% and and I try to keep a nice even smooth swing. I have found that helped alot.

Thanks!

Bit of a cliché but let the club do the work. Swing slower throughout and focus on making sure that for the few inches before and after the ball your club is staying straight. This should avoid you making and major ball movements in the air and keep the shot much straighter

If you hit 11 of 14 FW the other day that pretty darn good. But you say your missing on both sides (left and right) was that true on the 11/14 day?
I don't know your swing but I have to
Assume based on you numbers is about 100-105 swing Speed. And I'm guessing you may have an over the top move.
You should have you shafts checked to make sure they are a good fit and work on dropping the club into the slot by tucking the right elbow into your side on the down swing.

Interesting that your misses are either a fade or a snap hook.. Those seem like two totally different issues right there. Which one is the more common miss? I'd encourage practicing swing thoughts that focus on correcting that specific flaw.

The fade and snap hook could be symptoms of the same problem manifesting differently. You might be coming across the ball hard from out to in. The fade would result from keeping the club face squared to the intended target line while the snap hook would come from a full release that turns it over. I've faced this a number of times and it usually comes results from an improper setup, either a severely closed foot line or a somewhat open shoulder line.

One of the first things to check is your alignment. Make sure that your hips and shoulders are parallel to the target line. Imagine attaching a laser/rod to your shoulders and focus on tracing out a straight line along the target line. This is will be your proper swing path. Also, don't be afraid to open up your feet some to let your hips clear. It'll feel weird at first but it is vital to get that swing line towards your target.

Tadashi-you are dead on with my SS and my miss move. When I can get that elbow to stay close to my body on my downswing then I can have a pretty consistent swing with good results. The problem is I dont know how to focus on keeping that elbow in and I usually realize what I have done after impact. I try to drop it in t he slot from up top and swing to right field.

Trapshot-yes I do believe I also have my hips and shoulders not square at setup. I need lessons to fix this.

Next up....golftec for my birthday gift (hopefully!)

Thanks everyone. I hope I can get a solid video on here for critique, but I feel that swinging at the range vs. on the course vs. at home with no ball differs quite a bit.

Back