Contest and Live Update Thread: The 2019 Budget Championship

0dc36e0686fed329dc19a0fe6cbf5443.gif
#budgetgolfchampionship

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got home at noon yesterday and went straight in to the office to work! Finally got home at 6:15 pm and unpacked all of our ridiculous swag! My wife abducted my Links & kings accessories bag because she loved it!

I miss being at the event with everyone. It was so easy getting comfortable in a situation I didn't know a soul!

If anyone is ever in Minneapolis. Shoot me a text for a round of golf or grabbing a beer!

No rest for the weary! Gross Doubles championship match today!

MattyDMPLS;n8904638 said:
Got home at noon yesterday and went straight in to the office to work! Finally got home at 6:15 pm and unpacked all of our ridiculous swag! My wife abducted my Links & kings accessories bag because she loved it!

I miss being at the event with everyone. It was so easy getting comfortable in a situation I didn't know a soul!

If anyone is ever in Minneapolis. Shoot me a text for a round of golf or grabbing a beer!

No rest for the weary! Gross Doubles championship match today!
Get out there and kill it dude!

So, first off I've got to say... this was one of the most fun weekends I've ever had and some of the best golf I've ever gotten the chance to play. CDA is the bucket list course you never knew you needed to play and the town is a hidden gem. Got a chance to catch a movie on my last night and hop around down town to check out what kind of city CDA is. Perfect town to spend a full week in and I cant wait to bring my wife over one of these summers. Met some local golfers and they said there are about 20 courses are worth visiting if I ever make it back.

Budget Golf was amazing and the swag was unreal. The TM shirts, hat and jacket are comfortable and look great. Plan is to use my gift card to get some more TM gear from Budget, I was so impressed. We were all treated so well during the whole event. Cant thank Ryan and the guys more for putting this on and I hope the event continues to be a staple/highlight of the THP Experiences events.

I met so many awesome guys at the event and wish I could have spent time with a few more of you. I dont think I stopped smiling all weekend (yes, even when I duffed it off the first tee!). Special shotout to my housemates millsan1, who was making us laugh all weekend and hooked us up with the vbro planning; team Assisted Living jim54 & OldeDude for keeping up the banter like a pair of 20-somethings; MattyDMPLS who comes from a golfing dynasty (and it looks like dad is keeping the tradition going strong!); and Duffer Waldorf, Mr. Cool as a Cucumber the entire weekend.

time4tim was a great partner and picked me up all day Saturday. I can see why he won in 2017 and I hope you had as good a time as I did even though we came up a bit short. Had a blast playing with ya, and an even better time getting to know you and talking golf all weekend.

All of the forum members I met this weekend were great. Just some great banter, like we were all old friends having a reunion. The guys at Callaway were a perfect addition to the event and Finley and AJ were really gracious by letting nearly every team finish ahead of them in the event. Thanks to you guys, it was a pleasure to meet you both.

I've said it quite a few times before, but there is NOTHING like an event put on by THP. Thank you for the memories JB, Morgan, Ryan, Finley, Budget Golf, and Callaway.

Oh, and congrats to the Mounties on pulling off a hell of a win! Looking forward to placing my custom Truvis order on Budget as soon as its released.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Attachments

• photo37251.jpg
    photo37251.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1
millsan1;n8904234 said:
You said you were off. I'm assuming that's true, which means I am afraid of your A game, but any time you are up my way, open invite.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Honestly, I played pretty good for me at an away course, I brought some built in issues with me (irons in my head) that kept me from feeling comfortable over anything but my Titleist wedges. Just by the nature of the distances on the card Oldedude and I had a lot of 3 wood / long irons/ hybrids into most greens where our playing partners had wedges or short irons, which I don't care who you are that makes a big difference in scoring.

Heck man you guys made a lot of birdies / eagles from about the same distances so my reasoning above is just an excuse for me..

On 14 friday I flew the whole green with an 8 iron then proceeded to not get half way across Sat. & Sun with a 7 iron but they were both just trash swings that no club at any SW would have helped. Putted well on Sat and missed some fairly easy ones Sun.....golf is golf.

Still one of (if not the) most beautiful place I have ever played with great people and great Sponsors, after telling the guys at the office in Seattle (most everyone knew about the course but have never played it) we may just plan a company golf thing there next summer.

Made it home OK yesterday. Still trying to process everything, but I wanted to again give a huge thanks to THP, Budget Golf and Callaway for making this possible. It was a truly fantastic and memorable weekend. I am so lucky to have been a part of it.

Also, do yourself a favor and check https://www.budgetgolf.com/ any time you are buying golf stuff. Ryan is as good a person as you can ever meet and deserves your consideration for their business. Good people for sure.

And once again congrats to the Mounties.

oumagic;n8904739 said:
I am about to eat lunch and am dreaming about one thing that I ate this weekend. There is a blog post about the Orange Rolls of Coeur d' Alene. BEST. ROLL. EVER. KYgolfer

Tagging a fellow roll connoisseur.

https://www.cdaresort.com/blog/when-...iece-of-bread/

I just clicked the how can we assist button on the blog and asked them to send me a couple dozen.

jim54 ;n8904835 said:
Honestly, I played pretty good for me at an away course, I brought some built in issues with me (irons in my head) that kept me from feeling comfortable over anything but my Titleist wedges. Just by the nature of the distances on the card Oldedude and I had a lot of 3 wood / long irons/ hybrids into most greens where our playing partners had wedges or short irons, which I don't care who you are that makes a big difference in scoring.

Team Assisted Living didn't play all that poorly, we just didn't play well enough for a competition like this (we both needed the kind of round millsan1 had Sunday!). I think we both hit a lot of fairways, but not enough greens in reg, as jim54 said, we were routinely hitting our approaches with some pretty long clubs, and that is definitely not a strength of my game. Personally I can play better, and have, but other than the immediate frustration of hitting bad shots (which I tend to get over pretty quick), I had a blast, and wasn't too disappointed in how I played.

Here's a list of my top memories from the golf course that I've been sharing with my friends at work today:
  • Had a great partner for the weekend, would play golf with jim54 again any time, any place.
  • Hit an okay drive on #1 Saturday. Being in the first group, I really didn't want to start off in the running for the worst on the first contest.
  • Put my tee shot on the island first try Saturday!
  • Hit the stick from the tee on the par-3 5th Saturday (and my partners shot was still inside mine!!!).
  • Playing a round with Team Purple Rain Saturday, MattyDMPLS is the best player I have ever had the pleasure to play with, totally inspiring, and a wonderfully nice guy too.
  • Playing a round with Team M&M Sunday, millsan1 looked to be having the time of his life with how well he was playing, it was really fun to be there and share that with him.
  • I hit way more fairways than I missed, and hit my wedges pretty well too (long clubs and putter were another story).
  • The complete THP atmosphere, everyone just seemed like there was no place else in the world they would rather be.
  • The golf course, what an incredible place, as others have said, pictures don't do it justice.
jim54 ;n8904835 said:
Still one of (if not the) most beautiful place I have ever played with great people and great Sponsors, after telling the guys at the office in Seattle (most everyone knew about the course but have never played it) we may just plan a company golf thing there next summer.

Does your company ever need any part time help? You know, just a little something that might qualify me to join in on the company golf thing. :confused2:

checkered ;n8904857 said:
Also, do yourself a favor and check https://www.budgetgolf.com/ any time you are buying golf stuff. Ryan is as good a person as you can ever meet and deserves your consideration for their business. Good people for sure.

Absolutely second this one! I couldn't get over how every time I got a chance to talk to Ryan, he was thanking us for coming out for the Championship, what an amazing outlook from an incredibly good guy!

Made it home last night and pretty much went straight to bed... First chance to post my event recap.
Obviously, first and foremost huge thanks to @JB and GolferGal for all the incredible things they provide this community. I would never have imagined I would be able to play in an event like we just had this past weekend. I can't say thank you enough to each of them! Next is Ryan from Budget Golf. His support for this event and even golfers in general is well above and beyond just being a retailer. The swag, prizes, and sponsorship for this event was simply amazing! Similarly, the support from Callaway was beyond compare. Just the opportunity to design your own Truvis ball would be over the top, but to also have JasonFinleyCG along with AJVCG join us in the tournament and festivities was beyond incredible.

I experienced so much for my first ever THP event. From the practice round on Friday until departure on Monday I was having the time of my life (along with some sweet golfing opportunities). Bucket list course - check, awesome swag - check, playing golf with new lifelong friends - check. I will say I've never been so nervous to hit a tee shot as I was on the opening hole on Saturday. I don't think my legs stopped shaking for three holes! Fortunately, my teammate oumagic kept me from totally losing any game I had and we proceeded to play our way around the course. Saturday's round also gave us the chance to play with the eventual winners, ArmyGolf and aljaklaw . Watching them play was a treat to behold. We knew they were going to be in serious contention from the get go. On Sunday we were paired with Wildcat4life and mancest . We joked that we traveled all the way to Idaho to get to play with a fellow Arizonan, lol. Even so, they made a deep run on Sunday and came so close! I've got to say that neither of them faltered and they encouraged us when we were getting down on ourselves. That alone was super classy and helped me to finish strong with a sandy bogey save (net birdie) on the 18th hole in front of all the groups who finished before us. Again, talk about nerves!

Besides the golf I got to meet so many others from these forums. I stayed with Wildcat4life, oumagic, KYgolfer , baylrballa , and slimjim32 in our lodging with the wonderful view of the mansion that overlooked the lake (inside joke). Then meeting all the other participants over the weekend. Everyone was so encouraging and even though there was a competition going on (for a very coveted prize package) everyone was still focused on having fun, first and foremost. Well done!

Clearly this first event was special for me. I hope I get to participate in future events because now I'm hooked!

PS, special shout out to McLovin for my new tag line under my forum name after his comment when he saw that picture posted after Friday's practice round, lol.

OldeDude;n8904912 said:
Absolutely second this one! I couldn't get over how every time I got a chance to talk to Ryan, he was thanking us for coming out for the Championship, what an amazing outlook from an incredibly good guy!

Let's face it, it may have been called The Budget Golf Championship, but we all know that the trophy should be called the Ryan Cup. That guy is truly a gift of a man to the human race. Getting to know him is something that I will never forget.

KY Golfer;n8904887 said:
I just clicked the how can we assist button on the blog and asked them to send me a couple dozen.

I should have snagged one of the last few at the end of the night. I thought they were buffalo flavored when they walked past me at the table.

Last edited:
MattyDMPLS;n8904937 said:
I should have snagged one of the last few at the end of the night. I thought they were buffalo flavored when they walked past me at the table.

DID YOU NOT GET ONE!?!??!!!?!!!

I thought they were covered in some odd spicy sauce when I first saw them too, but DEAR GOD! They were SSSOOOO good. That’s why there was a platter of them on the table by us lol. These biscuits are worth a trip back all by themselves.

slimjim32;n8905202 said:
DID YOU NOT GET ONE!?!??!!!?!!!

I thought they were covered in some odd spicy sauce when I first saw them too, but DEAR GOD! They were SSSOOOO good. That’s why there was a platter of them on the table by us lol. These biscuits are worth a trip back all by themselves.

We had Dylan convinced they were some odd cheese things.

I didn't try one either. The server didnt make it sound very appealing.

ArmyGolf;n8905213 said:

Maybe that was the key to victory.

ArmyGolf;n8905222 said:
Nope. It was the shoes baby! :)

Hahaha. Must have been.

Seeing the kudos others are giving to Ryan from Budget Golf made me want to come back and add to what others have already said about him.

Ryan spoke to the group I think twice. In those talks he said some memorable things. First, how much he loves THP and THPers and how much he enjoys being around the guys. Second, how good it is for him to ride around and see us normal people playing the game and enjoying each other’s company; that it’s good for him to see that instead of only looking at a computer at work all day - guys like us is what it’s all about. Third, how we are a family and golf brings us together. Fourth, how all Budget Golf wants is for us to consider them and give them a chance.

All of this stuff really resonated with me. Ryan is just a good dude. I’ll look to give his company my business whenever I can.

Finally, it made perfect sense that Callaway was able to partner with Budget on this event because we saw and heard a variation of everything Ryan said to us at the Grandaddy last December.

ArmyGolf;n8905213 said:

MattyDMPLS;n8904937 said:

Both of you absolutely missed out. Good God those were awesome.

To my Silver Beach crew! It was awesome!

millsan1 Thanks for everything you did to set up the house and cooking dinner! As well as being a funny funny dude! There weren't many where we weren't laughing something ridiculous! Can't wait to play a round of golf with you! Duffer Waldorf thank you for getting the rental car! Playing at Indian Canyon was a ton of fun, hitting bombs off the tee and on the green! OldeDude your relaxed attitude and passion for the game made it so easy to play with! You almost making an ace on #4 saturday was awesome to see! Sometimes hitting the pin hurts you! jim54 You might be the biggest club technician I have played with! Your knowledge of the game is pretty awesome! hopefully those Miura irons treat you well! Team Assisted Living was a pleasure to play with! KingVeo The joy that you have in the game is awesome! I didn't get to see your "winning" tee shot on Saturday but I got to see you stripe one Sunday morning! Just like Anthony, I hope we get a round in sometime!

Coming back to the house after golf and BSing on the deck was something I will always remember! Seeing the passion you guys had for boxing was something! Learning that fishing line is freaking expensive! Quoting dumb movies! Thank you! thank you! Thank you!

Back