Contributing in a 4 man scramble

..and music
..and alcohol

hahaha

I was going to say, the only time I felt I wasn't contributing to a scramble team was the time I was under the weather and wasn't drinking my share of the beer.

Scrambles are great fun when played with friends. Among strangers, well, I haven't tried that before.

I'm sure in the 70 to 80 shots some of mine are bound to be used. If not the good ones, then the lucky ones.

I always try to play the safest shot. I'm pretty bad, but I feel like I can contribute enough if I allow the better golfers to be pin seekers and give them an out if something were to go wrong.

Off the tee, I try to play a shot in the center, going as far as hitting an iron or 5 wood off the tee. I play okay with my 7-8-9-PW, so I try and make a solid approach shot. When we get to the green, I try to make a good lag putt or at least put it past the hole so the other players can get a good read on the green.

I'd like to think that, as bad as I am, I save the team a few strokes.

if you're a better golfer than I am, ymmv.

I track my "contributions" in 4 man scrambles. I don't count the last putt if it is < about 6 feet but count the rest. I'm not great at golf nor am I long, so that's not the best setup for a scramble.

It's sad to say, but it is better for the group when I don't "contribute." If we use 20% of my shots or fewer, then we can play decently well (say -4 to -10). If we're pushing 33-40% of my shots then we're likely to only go about -2 to -4.

Now, what I'm not giving myself credit for are the shots I hit first that are in play that allow better or longer players to take higher risk shots. My play is normally about the same, but the percentage of my shots used is really dictated by the better players and how they are hitting. If they make some good shots, then we use fewer of mine and the scores are better. If they don't we still often have mine to fall back on.

Also, I'm a fairly decent putter with line and speed. I often will putt first and can minimally give the group a gimme type lag putt and a good look at the line.

This is is rambling but it is meant to show that contributions can come in many forms. I'm not just saying that in the way that one says it to a beginner who might have one used shot all day. That's the fun of the scramble.

I just play in some because it's for a good cause, then we just go out and have fun... When it's a no handicap tournament, and teams come in with scores of 50-52, and no one is higher than an 18 handicap, you have no chance... Not saying it's not possible, and it can happen, but highly unlikely... It's not the driver or the putter, it's the pencil that wins some scrambles...Just have fun, drink beer and enjoy the game. You might get lucky and win a closest to the pin or a door prize or a 50-50 raffle.

Back