Conventional Watch: Swing Speed Factor?

Antihero

Reaction score
Handicap
This may be a stupid question but can wearing a traditional style stainless steel watch impact swing speed and carry/total distance?

I started wondering as various shafts are measured in grams.

Pretty sure my watch (which by habit is always on) weighs more like x number of ounces.

So the internet golfer in me has to ask: Does anyone actually know if this causes a loss in distance?

Seems reasonable that it might. So if so, is any distance loss substantive?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I wondered the same thing and did a little Voice Caddie swing speed test using my Bushnell NEO-XS golf watch. On versus off, I measured virtually no difference even though I assumed it would be noticeable going into the test. Maybe the extra weight of the watch is mitigated by it acting somewhat as a counter balance? To be fair though, my Bushnell is likely lighter than the watch you are asking about.

I wondered the same thing and did a little Voice Caddie swing speed test using my Bushnell NEO-XS golf watch. On versus off, I measured virtually no difference even though I assumed it would be noticeable going into the test. Maybe the extra weight of the watch is mitigated by it acting somewhat as a counter balance? To be fair though, my Bushnell is likely lighter than the watch you are asking about.
Interesting results.

Thanks for sharing.

My watch stainless, as is the band if that matters. Therefore relatively heavy as watches are concerned.

I've always just worn in since beginning to play around 18 months or so ago.

Can't help but wonder if it has any real impact.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

there is no statistically significant increase or decrease

If you move to a cheap plastic digital watch now, you'll have to lead tape your glove to maintain arm swingweight :good:

Most people's swings are too inconsistent for the slight amount of extra weight to matter.

I wouldn’t have thought it would matter. I take mine off because I wear it quite loose. Others think wearing a mechanical watch whilst playing golf can do damage to the watch over time, don’t think that’s ever been proved though.

#FiberLaunch

Back