Converting a driver shaft for a FW.

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When I ordered my G410, I was recommended the 75g EF Black shaft for stability and dispersion control. I ended up not liking it because it was so heavy and bought a 65g version off of ebay that has become my driver shaft into my G425. I've been debating having the 75g cut down to try in my 3w but I understand the recommendation is that the tip be trimmed 1/2" for fairway use.

If I don't have the tip trimmed and only tip from the butt end, what should I expect to see and feel? Should I just have the shop do the recommended trimming from the butt and the tip to get it back to the same length as my current 3w?

It is going to play a bit softer in the fairway wood if you don't tip trim it. I think that is a pretty stout shaft and might work well untipped. Does the adapter on the shaft fit your 3 wood? If it does you could throw it in and choke down on the club and see how you like it. That would give you an idea of how it is going to work for you.

@Golfers Anonymous

Seems like a question for you young sir.

I’d love to give an answer but what I’d do probably isn’t right.

Installing straight in as mentioned above would play softer than specs from manufacturers but that is a preference to look at for the OP, I’d go the route of straight in without tipping testing it out as it is easier to put in a extension in the butt rather than a non reversible tip trim. The playing characteristics would make it easier to launch vs before but that is dependent on the release. Total length is up to the OP if you like your current playing length stay with it, or try an impact spray looking at your strike pattern and compare to gripping down a half inch or more to decide on length if just self fitting.

Installing straight in as mentioned above would play softer than specs from manufacturers but that is a preference to look at for the OP, I’d go the route of straight in without tipping testing it out as it is easier to put in a extension in the butt rather than a non reversible tip trim. The playing characteristics would make it easier to launch vs before but that is dependent on the release. Total length is up to the OP if you like your current playing length stay with it, or try an impact spray looking at your strike pattern and compare to gripping down a half inch or more to decide on length if just self fitting.

Just saw under your name, congrats man!!!

Anyone that would drive to play a round with me is due for an experience! Nice!!!

correct, tip trim to convert it to a more true spec. However, if you want a little extra launch and for it to play a touch softer in the tip, install as is and see where it goes.

As others have said, try it first without tip trimming it by choking down to your preferred playing length. If you like the feel and flight you get from that, then butt trim only to your desired playing length. If it feels a little soft, then go with the tip trimming recommendations. If you want to butt trim it to not have to choke down as far, I would initially butt trim it to 1/2" over your preferred playing length to leave the 1/2" for tip trimming if desired. When doing experiments like this, I install the grip with air and then install it standard when I decide how I need to go.

It is going to play a bit softer in the fairway wood if you don't tip trim it. I think that is a pretty stout shaft and might work well untipped. Does the adapter on the shaft fit your 3 wood? If it does you could throw it in and choke down on the club and see how you like it. That would give you an idea of how it is going to work for you.
correct, tip trim to convert it to a more true spec. However, if you want a little extra launch and for it to play a touch softer in the tip, install as is and see where it goes.

Cool. Thanks for the input. I like the stability of the 65g in my driver and was wondering if the 75g would apply the same on the 3w to step up from the stock Alta. I play the R flex (5.5 in the EF) so I'm not sure if leaving the tip soft will negate the value of adding the heavier weight for stability. I guess It is quite possible the that the 75 g 5.5 EF black shaft might actually be a touch stiffer untrimmed than the 65g stock Alta shaft. My biggest concern if I did trim it would be that it would become too tough to launch off the deck.

I would think the 75g 5.5 will play a bit stiffer than the stock Alta. Personally I like a bit heavier shaft in my fairways. I think someone mentioned this above but you could install it straight in and butt trim it a half inch long and choke down to play it. If you like it just trim the butt. If you want it to be a bit stiffer you could still tip trim it later.

i've had a shop do it a couple times, and it never worked well for me.

i've had a shop do it a couple times, and it never worked well for me.

I converted a driver shaft to go in a Callaway Heavenwood and it worked out well. It was a bit lighter than I usually like but it still played well in the club.

I would think the 75g 5.5 will play a bit stiffer than the stock Alta. Personally I like a bit heavier shaft in my fairways. I think someone mentioned this above but you could install it straight in and butt trim it a half inch long and choke down to play it. If you like it just trim the butt. If you want it to be a bit stiffer you could still tip trim it later.
I've certainly found I like a slightly heavier shaft in drivers. None of the 55g options seem to work as well for me as the 65g version has but I've never really tried a heavier shaft in my 3w. I mainly hit it off the deck so I'm not sure if the heavier shaft will make me more likely to use it off the tee or be more beneficial one way over the other on the smaller head

I've certainly found I like a slightly heavier shaft in drivers. None of the 55g options seem to work as well for me as the 65g version has but I've never really tried a heavier shaft in my 3w. I mainly hit it off the deck so I'm not sure if the heavier shaft will make me more likely to use it off the tee or be more beneficial one way over the other on the smaller head

I play 65g in my driver and mid 70s in most FWs.

just want to make sure im understanding correctly. If i install a driver shaft in my 3w, it will give me higher launch?

just want to make sure im understanding correctly. If i install a driver shaft in my 3w, it will give me higher launch?
According to the true temper trimming guide for their woods shafts, they recommend trimming 1/2" off the tip for installation on a fairway wood. If left untrimmed the assumption is that the tip will be softer and launch higher on the fairway wood if I understand the physics of it correctly.

the tip will play softer which should in theory help raise the launch. Consider it a form of soft stepping.

Just read this thread about shaft trimming and hoping the intelligent ones out there could clarify. Unless I am wrong, trimming the driver shaft from the butt end to go into a fairway will make it play softer. However I just had a conversation with the builders at 2nd Swing here in Minnesota and they told me the opposite. Trimming the shaft will make it play stiffer. In this case it would be a Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec Stiff that would be cut down from driver to 5w length.

Just read this thread about shaft trimming and hoping the intelligent ones out there could clarify. Unless I am wrong, trimming the driver shaft from the butt end to go into a fairway will make it play softer. However I just had a conversation with the builders at 2nd Swing here in Minnesota and they told me the opposite. Trimming the shaft will make it play stiffer. In this case it would be a Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec Stiff that would be cut down from driver to 5w length.

Cutting a shaft down does tend to make it play a bit stiffer. That said generally a driver is not tipped only butt trimmed. A fairway is usually tip trimmed first then butt trimmed to length. If you only butt trim the shaft it will play softer than if you trim it the way the manufacturer suggests which generally is an inch to an inch and a half for a 5wood if I remember correctly. I would reach out Fujikura to get their recommendation for trimming that particular shaft.

Depends on what you/they are comparing. A driver shaft that is tip trimmed then butt trimmed to 43" will play stiffer than a driver shaft that is just butt trimmed to 43". A driver shaft that is only butt trimmed to 43" will play stiffer than a driver shaft that is left at 45" (assuming you aren't choking up on it). They could be referring to the second scenario when most of the thread is referring to the first.

That's exactly what I found with my current FW shaft that was a driver shaft and had it tip trimmed a bit just to stiffen it up

Depends on what you/they are comparing. A driver shaft that is tip trimmed then butt trimmed to 43" will play stiffer than a driver shaft that is just butt trimmed to 43". A driver shaft that is only butt trimmed to 43" will play stiffer than a driver shaft that is left at 45" (assuming you aren't choking up on it). They could be referring to the second scenario when most of the thread is referring to the first.
Copy, that all makes sense. Thanks for clarifying.

I was able to get a response from a Fujikura rep as it relates to my situation. I asked him specifically about trimming an atmos blue from driver to 5w length. His response was that all Fujikura wood shafts are designed to play in any fairway metal. For 5w tip trim .5” then butt trim remainder. It will not change shaft characteristics and play true to flex. Guess that answers my question.

I do appreciate all the input from everyone. The nerd in me loves to tinker with clubs and great to have a resource to bounce thoughts off of

When I ordered my G410, I was recommended the 75g EF Black shaft for stability and dispersion control. I ended up not liking it because it was so heavy and bought a 65g version off of ebay that has become my driver shaft into my G425. I've been debating having the 75g cut down to try in my 3w but I understand the recommendation is that the tip be trimmed 1/2" for fairway use.

If I don't have the tip trimmed and only tip from the butt end, what should I expect to see and feel? Should I just have the shop do the recommended trimming from the butt and the tip to get it back to the same length as my current 3w?
You do have to remember that the heavier that you go with the shaft, the "firmer" it becomes, even though you want to a certain flex. I installed a reg. flex, 75g shaft on an old driver I used to use, and I lost a little distance, but it was really accurate. I only butt trimmed that shaft, and if I was to put it in a fairway wood, I might not trim it at all, or maybe only TIP trim it .25". I can't play a stiff, because it feels like swinging a 2x4, but a 75g is a good compromise, for more control...

Last edited:
Back