GoldenBuff

slow horse
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What do THPers like for cookware? I enjoy cooking. I love food. We have a hodge lodge of misc. cookware accumulated over 3+ decades. I think we are ready for more of a gourmet cookware set and have started to do some research. It's not a simple choice. Stainless steel, non-stick, carbon steel, ... And prices range extensively. All-clad on one end and lots of low cost options at the other. There are even some new DTC brands.

Any recommendations?

I have a mixture of cookware. I have a full set of enameled cast iron, some regular cast iron, some All-Clad Stainless Steel and then some nonstick as well. I think they all serve a purpose and I like having the variety.

Can't go wrong with a wok. Very versatile.

I've always had good luck with the higher end calphalon non-stick.
We have a few le creuset enameled and all-clad stainless laying around that the wife likes too.

We’ve got a mix... cast iron, stainless, and cheapo Walmart non-stick.

Here lately, we’re using the fire out of the cast iron. Stainless takes some learning with the preheating and oiling. The non-stick is great for when I just don’t want to fool with the preheating and cleaning that come with everything wlse

I have a mixture of cookware. I have a full set of enameled cast iron, some regular cast iron, some All-Clad Stainless Steel and then some nonstick as well. I think they all serve a purpose and I like having the variety.

I like the variety approach. I was looking at sets, but piecing together seems like a good idea.

I'm big on non-stick saute pans. I have 2 Calphalon non-stick 12" and 1 10" that I use primarily for omelettes.

I like the variety approach. I was looking at sets, but piecing together seems like a good idea.

I think a set of something you use the most, like non-stick is a good idea, but it's nice to add in a few other pieces like stainless steel and cast iron. They really all do have a purpose.

I have an All-Clad set that is 25 years old and survived dorm life, bachelorhood, and now married life. It's good as new and cooks beautifully. I like having cast iron and enameled cast iron around as well. Probably 95% of my uses are covered between All Clad and Cast iron. The one thing I do like as a supplement is a non-stick pan for eggs and other more delicate things you don;t want sticking. The Circulon non-stick pans are some of my favorites, although my wife destroys all non-stick cookware in record speed by leaving it in sink and stacking dishes on top, chipping the coating.

I have an All-Clad set that is 25 years old and survived dorm life, bachelorhood, and now married life. It's good as new and cooks beautifully. I like having cast iron and enameled cast iron around as well. Probably 95% of my uses are covered between All Clad and Cast iron. The one thing I do like as a supplement is a non-stick pan for eggs and other more delicate things you don;t want sticking. The Circulon non-stick pans are some of my favorites, although my wife destroys all non-stick cookware in record speed by leaving it in sink and stacking dishes on top, chipping the coating.

You just described us a bit.
We have a full set of Circular pans.
We have All Clad pieces.
We have cast iron and enameled cast iron

You just described us a bit.
We have a full set of Circular pans.
We have All Clad pieces.
We have cast iron and enameled cast iron

Skimmer...

My wife likes the All-Clad copper core pots and pans. It's crazy how expensive cookware can be.

We got a nice set of All-Clad from our Wedding Registry

I also have a couple of Calphalon Non-Stick Pans as well as a Cast Iron Skillet which I have had since right out of college that gets a TON of use. I think a good Cast Iron Skillet is an extremely underrated item in a kitchen.

As JB/Morgan said, they all serve a distinct purpose.

We have a knock off le creuset dutch oven.

We have a smaller le creuset pot.

We have a couple giant stew pots. I am not sure how big one of them is. It's industrial size for when my wife make pho.

We usually buy a set of the costco non-stick and replace them ever couple years as they scratch up.

We have a small cast iron and a big one as well as a cast iron flat iron.

I use the cast iron and the non-stick the most. But I tend to use the dutch ovens for anything that someone else would use a crockpot for. I like this style of cooking.

I have a couple cast iron and a set of Le Creuset anodized nonstick, as well as a Le Creuset enameled dutch oven. I've used All Clad in the past, but my latest frying pans from them didn't hold up that well. I cook daily though, so they get a lot of use unless I'm grilling.

Our most used pieces are Scanpan pans with an incredibly durable ceramic nonstick coating. Highly, highly recommended.

Next most used are some All Clad pieces. My wife is adding to those gradually.

We also have some Le Creuset and a Lodge cast iron skillet that are used, but less frequently. She is gradually phasing out the Farberware set we got as a wedding present during the Carter Administration.

We’ve had a set of nonstick calphalon for five years. I don’t have any issues with it and my wife loves them.

little bit of everything for us.

stainless
nonstick
cast iron
enameled cast iron
electric griddle
wok
crock pot

For sauces and such, we use stainless pots.

We also have 5 pieces of cast iron we purchased at either thrift stores or on eBay for ~$75. I’ll never use “non-stick” pans again. Cast iron is the way. It’s much easier to maintain than people think.

Since I do the majority of cooking around here, I have a mixed hodge-podge of stuff ranging from Finex cast iron skillet, to a couple of AC copper core pan/skillet, and a couple of Le Creuset and then I have my everyday go to Calphalon non stick. Like they say, a different type of skillet/pan for different types of cooking/and or results.

This is not counting the specialty cookware like Woks, griddle pans, or soup pots.

My wife has a nice Calphalon set that has been good for us. I have a few Vintage Cast Iron skillets. The next time we purchase I'm going to try and talk her into springing for a nice Viking set.

I buy from restaurant supply stores because if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me. Currently Winco Gladiator are the frying pans of choice.

I do 90% of my work in an 8" non-stick, some in a 10" non-stick, searing in a 9.5" carbon steel and then soups in sauciers or dutch ovens (4L and 7L)

Back