Cool Clubs Boston Fitting report

Chef23

2023 Srixon Experience
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I had an iron fitting today plus a bit of testing some shafts in my Maverik. I'll try to give a summary but if you want the cliff notes I am going to order 5-PW of Callaway Apex w/Nippon NS Pro 850 shafts. Fitting was done using a Trackman.

First a bit about me (this was in an earlier thread so you can skip it if you want). Currently a 3.0 index and a short hitter. Irons in the bag are Ping i200s with Steelfiber stiff flex. These irons weren't fitted but bought used at a golf shop when I was looking for a lighter shaft. Current 6 iron carry distance is 159 which is about exactly what I expected. SS was 79.5mph ball speed of 113 for a smash of 1.43 on average. I was a little disappointed in SS as I spent time this winter working out and doing the Superspeed (although not completely consistently) and I haven't picked up any speed.

The fitter did a good job asking me about my game and what I am looking for. I am a solid golfer who used to be better and much longer (there is a long story behind the lost length). I was looking to pick up some distance in my irons. I am pretty accurate and consistent with the Pings but definitely struggle with the lack of distance at times. I told Glen (the fitter) that I didn't have any brand preferences and I was open to any shaft or head. Glen asked if I had hand or elbow issues and if that drove my current shaft selection and my answer is no I was just looking for something lighter than the PX 6.0s that had been in my old irons.

I hit 6-8 shots with my current 6i for a baseline and the results were right where I expected them to be. After watching a my swings and a question about my misses (tend to be a bit on the toe) we did a quick static measurement and suggested a shaft length that was 1/2" over standard which is 1/2" over my current irons. We started with the the NS 850 on a Ping i210. For some reason this didn't work at all. I was actually down about 10 yards with this combination. Next try was the Ping i500. This club was much better. I immediately picked up about 5-7 yards over my current irons with this combination. The look was fine and it felt a bit hollow but I could have played it.

Next up was the Callaway Apex. The Apex gave me similar ballspeed to the i500 but the feel was better. It is obviously an attractive club as well. This wound up being the winner but we certainly explored other options.

The Mavrik Pro was next up. I don't have all my raw numbers (I am going to try to get them). I was excited about this but it didn't perform for me like the Apex. The best shots had similar results but I wasn't nearly as consistent with it. We next tried the Epic Forged. This club looked good and felt good to me and I hit one shot that was super long but I wasn't consistent with it and it didn't create nearly enough spin.

We then circled through a bunch of different heads including Mizuno 919 Forged and HMB. The 919 forged felt good but gave up distance to the Apex. The HMB didn't feel as good and didn't outperform the Apex. The Titlest T100S looked great and gave me a bit more trajectory which was nice but was the same distance as my current clubs. I actually didn't hit any Srixons but the 585 isn't that different than the 545s I had so I was okay with that. The only club he didn't have that I was interested in is the Cobra Forged Tec. Cool Clubs lists Cobra as a partner but they didn't have any Cobra product.

Moving onto shafts we were looking for something to create a bit more trajectory. I tried Nippon 950, 1050, the SF95 and SF 80 and we kept coming back to the NS 850. I thought this was interesting because I did a free fitting last year at True Spec (at the time I was only really looking for a FW and maybe a driver) and that shaft was the best fit.

I have a quote for a complete build from them for 5-PW. I am toying with adding the GW. I know I am going to need a hybrid to fill in the gap and I don't love what I have there right now but his recommendation was to get the irons and figure out my distances with them on the course then we can address the hybrid later. I was willing to explore that and might have bought something then but he didn't push me at all.

We then spent a few minutes hitting three different shafts (stock Aldila Rogue white, AD DI5, Oban Hashimoto 65 F4) I have for my Mavrik driver. On the driver front while not a pro he gave me a bit of swing advice to try to swing up into the ball a bit as I swing down on the driver similar to my iron shots. My spin rate on the driver was in the 3500 rpm range. When I could get a better angle of attack I had success picking up some carry distance on my drives and the spin rate dropped into the 2500 range. Where generally I was in the 210 yard range I hit several in the 220-225 range. He put all the shafts on their frequency meter and the Oban was the softest then the DI5 followed by the Aldila. I have been playing the Aldila and will likely stick with that although I am going to play with the DI5 a bit. If I get comfortable changing my angle of attack on the driver it could impact the loft needed on my driver. I currently have a 10.5* head set to 9.5.

Overall it was a good experience and a lot of fun. Glen definitely doesn't try to force you into expensive equipment and would make recommendations for stock offerings if you want it. I am going to order the irons I just need to figure out what grip and decide if I am going to order the GW that goes with the set or not.

I had an iron fitting today plus a bit of testing some shafts in my Maverik. I'll try to give a summary but if you want the cliff notes I am going to order 5-PW of Callaway Apex w/Nippon NS Pro 850 shafts. Fitting was done using a Trackman.

First a bit about me (this was in an earlier thread so you can skip it if you want). Currently a 3.0 index and a short hitter. Irons in the bag are Ping i200s with Steelfiber stiff flex. These irons weren't fitted but bought used at a golf shop when I was looking for a lighter shaft. Current 6 iron carry distance is 159 which is about exactly what I expected. SS was 79.5mph ball speed of 113 for a smash of 1.43 on average. I was a little disappointed in SS as I spent time this winter working out and doing the Superspeed (although not completely consistently) and I haven't picked up any speed.

The fitter did a good job asking me about my game and what I am looking for. I am a solid golfer who used to be better and much longer (there is a long story behind the lost length). I was looking to pick up some distance in my irons. I am pretty accurate and consistent with the Pings but definitely struggle with the lack of distance at times. I told Glen (the fitter) that I didn't have any brand preferences and I was open to any shaft or head. Glen asked if I had hand or elbow issues and if that drove my current shaft selection and my answer is no I was just looking for something lighter than the PX 6.0s that had been in my old irons.

I hit 6-8 shots with my current 6i for a baseline and the results were right where I expected them to be. After watching a my swings and a question about my misses (tend to be a bit on the toe) we did a quick static measurement and suggested a shaft length that was 1/2" over standard which is 1/2" over my current irons. We started with the the NS 850 on a Ping i210. For some reason this didn't work at all. I was actually down about 10 yards with this combination. Next try was the Ping i500. This club was much better. I immediately picked up about 5-7 yards over my current irons with this combination. The look was fine and it felt a bit hollow but I could have played it.

Next up was the Callaway Apex. The Apex gave me similar ballspeed to the i500 but the feel was better. It is obviously an attractive club as well. This wound up being the winner but we certainly explored other options.

The Mavrik Pro was next up. I don't have all my raw numbers (I am going to try to get them). I was excited about this but it didn't perform for me like the Apex. The best shots had similar results but I wasn't nearly as consistent with it. We next tried the Epic Forged. This club looked good and felt good to me and I hit one shot that was super long but I wasn't consistent with it and it didn't create nearly enough spin.

We then circled through a bunch of different heads including Mizuno 919 Forged and HMB. The 919 forged felt good but gave up distance to the Apex. The HMB didn't feel as good and didn't outperform the Apex. The Titlest T100S looked great and gave me a bit more trajectory which was nice but was the same distance as my current clubs. I actually didn't hit any Srixons but the 585 isn't that different than the 545s I had so I was okay with that. The only club he didn't have that I was interested in is the Cobra Forged Tec. Cool Clubs lists Cobra as a partner but they didn't have any Cobra product.

Moving onto shafts we were looking for something to create a bit more trajectory. I tried Nippon 950, 1050, the SF95 and SF 80 and we kept coming back to the NS 850. I thought this was interesting because I did a free fitting last year at True Spec (at the time I was only really looking for a FW and maybe a driver) and that shaft was the best fit.

I have a quote for a complete build from them for 5-PW. I am toying with adding the GW. I know I am going to need a hybrid to fill in the gap and I don't love what I have there right now but his recommendation was to get the irons and figure out my distances with them on the course then we can address the hybrid later. I was willing to explore that and might have bought something then but he didn't push me at all.

We then spent a few minutes hitting three different shafts (stock Aldila Rogue white, AD DI5, Oban Hashimoto 65 F4) I have for my Mavrik driver. On the driver front while not a pro he gave me a bit of swing advice to try to swing up into the ball a bit as I swing down on the driver similar to my iron shots. My spin rate on the driver was in the 3500 rpm range. When I could get a better angle of attack I had success picking up some carry distance on my drives and the spin rate dropped into the 2500 range. Where generally I was in the 210 yard range I hit several in the 220-225 range. He put all the shafts on their frequency meter and the Oban was the softest then the DI5 followed by the Aldila. I have been playing the Aldila and will likely stick with that although I am going to play with the DI5 a bit. If I get comfortable changing my angle of attack on the driver it could impact the loft needed on my driver. I currently have a 10.5* head set to 9.5.

Overall it was a good experience and a lot of fun. Glen definitely doesn't try to force you into expensive equipment and would make recommendations for stock offerings if you want it. I am going to order the irons I just need to figure out what grip and decide if I am going to order the GW that goes with the set or not.

Nice write-up, you're gonna love the CF19's. I highly recommend grabbing the AW too in that shaft since you were fitted, its such a great club.

nice! not surprised the cf19 performed similar to the mav pro. both are great sticks.

curious that your fitting started with head, then shaft. i thought club champion was usually the opposite.

sounds like you picked a great combo

nice! not surprised the cf19 performed similar to the mav pro. both are great sticks.

curious that your fitting started with head, then shaft. i thought club champion was usually the opposite.

sounds like you picked a great combo

I was at Cool Clubs not Club Champion. I have heard different schools of thought about head first vs shaft first. I did a free fitting last year at Tour Spec (I was really looking at driver and fairways at the time) where they did shaft first. I talked to an independent fitter and he was a big believer in shaft first. Interestingly enough I landed on the same shaft in both fittings.

I was at Cool Clubs not Club Champion. I have heard different schools of thought about head first vs shaft first. I did a free fitting last year at Tour Spec (I was really looking at driver and fairways at the time) where they did shaft first. I talked to an independent fitter and he was a big believer in shaft first. Interestingly enough I landed on the same shaft in both fittings.

oops my mistake haha

Back