Brimstone

Mitch Cumstein
Reaction score
I have tried to not get pulled into the cooler craze that YETI started, but the thought of a better cooler has been tempting. Realistically, I use coolers a lot. Camping, fishing, boating, road trips, etc. all generally include a cooler. I had a few decent Coleman coolers and didn't seem to "need" something more.

Well, after spending a week at Lake Powell with temps around 110 degrees, I decided that I "needed" to upgrade my cooler game. I had been checking prices versus reviews and trying to decide on one when I stumbled across the Lifetime 55qt cooler at Walmart for $97. Reviews have it equal or better than Yeti, made in USA and certified bear proof.

I like the positive lock latch design better and the padlock opening has a bottle opener.

M8L4E3

_kEbruNe3hcF8q4-HKDuo6CruIqEU_Xw9zqj_GT8GAgzNB761ivhVZlEh9DBqJNuJSlCaj0KHX9sHrqkCMj0H4pULBmPUUTimFWG9NELTUn1unThYWIXgbsWQaZWsr3nYXhG1Ri_Deq7HjFHlq7rS0AgqxwswXbDEC7TnRUa5RTD6qkpQo5pSNFym0v-yFbEWnBhS-YWRm-s1epwbr9L_66IfPkeMzgNVPHo-0iObA4Ep-DzviH_wywhO4E2b67K7wFZSidgfLEtcl83gX0HC6eF224vWpaf9aULtyJoEHvhUwcQf21SqpKEblu313WpEECWZWhqwzJlG33YOJ26LWISADTTRniFerHfFQvYkzWXho8E_a_Ra8svKOU_1Uf6iuJUWoMOCmOi_fGPniuIYz0Pxc282KNy9FCDic7wtsBPKWGSav54346O_3CLPBRzj01Xv3JKbQBijYl8cq3AfIimrLdrGJz6y39r7CLOW3V8BOWDLNYl2A6k8NWu9m7M8tkkrla-I2F65kDT7ugW6UwpvJLdoF8-CVwscmXqqyoe3xenZY9PBwGrf-Mw0XoQCXO7edl3HG8-SMJM2honod-sreK8LcXIIQSrRlZk=w847-h635-no

After four days in the July heat. It started full of ice and drinks.

awt8g5.jpg

Mc9jLGpX78Pqs0wijwR47ovIb2d4UrVZw4jD3D429pYr4CuP-IXX2HTS8vSzAPQkCkXBUb3scPsAFGk19o_AI62T3Xp8QAP8Ne1kk2xmA68u1RUuQH9_GxsRneP_XHI4I62a2ulatysZAce2asR0xietdOeeQ7fnuVHe_AopoK5mLOJr1o7eMd3XB4mGQU7xzTgqaZO5O05SizfUblffiSnXCNIh-sf9rRTSbXf51N4Y-a9vLfpQOPtYwD-rvuyk0T7GDNKWBwTHa_cG64_NkoEZDBaYnKe-U1u-629IPI11GsRocG7AfpV8fpmQtpkIYk8OOt80u7b8SbQyLD6Lp_Lfri8oDv0kyIsG_H-IpheS8-Oi1GvTy9wd24yKUgsOIDcer7cqJ24zsVB1M2Cka1h12I2p72JfO5xHMEwlWik-LoCZsiSgK4ZLRlv6W62abDcpH8aSXGgHK83J_-qxCdmqAx1y7LAw4BIjR_pFs5h8iQLJ4fBtFAO9CDMSYsR4y4nfdiVIxTyayYPajmGJydluPwCjGawpvND6UM0Zz9pk5jyXgCNis9zVUpH3jvna-gfVriPqYIUqm9ubotNlXdJjClt9u_ZADvy5QMEZ=w847-h635-no

After six days (all spent either outside, in my Jeep or in a very hot garage)-
VEemxmIGD7oT6mwH7LF2g8EAdb2IldURr3-pNbNTxwGHDrtGBES4tbOIzYRJ4aTpd5hBlfWfvFzNw1faDvioZfTQRJ8SHvIEKwX9hhqmeRngsvDdRTRJ_Mo6d75GUzgYA9LTEI9QM5WZDEV0Vq8Px2Wsj4OaZ_0lAef33bNmxzwchf2icV3767v3077oenjcsqLGafapq-nVgQWH3G5sLlYB17cGnD_U-71xnDSydpV437FwVXNlXviHPnR0N_3tbA032wNPsOdpZOj_snMZjY2EwEXyD16104bpuEIIVNWlMMTglRiHBPTvF9pfEVJT8oBV-QjiTt4bMhuygo_odUDrT5FVm_nhJG4f3DUrMldm_UP-Id1RMPTsJuo2X3LlFSHOhk2oiQzU3pMCVRw5tXxgnaYmyTNKAsoRXBac6ebGx3Y9O3l5cMpocF_hgVvkNXG6fjEDbcoXwXuMxp_hRlW7h-hsTB7BG2LXWwbaNA9geqlIQeuNsR2CLRDy_5YHplxF18cI2kppbaKYjXfxCDAyMnwxmBl-n5Cjf7fFWkWA97xm0BUTp9O6Fj0nEfUhn9PYRdWd4DbEwBSuN7hSya9uSKFPP2nBWOrRb4JU=w847-h635-no

qTx143pnAvmSS4IHguGHC-REAF5mL9P6IwRfAFF5JJIG1DUOOMrsxzrEBpxNK1DzUPfgj9MICQzLLOgi8ffXKfn76s3EowZlmqkoB5V3wlkBTkKFZqGgE-_vDLagWcOFqyfg7CAumL9zi4kREoaNnh_jO9K1gBKg1neHhjwSgpt2f2OtHfOUOU8-wY4ZmGfTXn0msg3zB9egGIGuyk7jIw3dyEb8PwgHMW5Htk7_QqVSHMiaCrwOQb0KTcOXVmb0tPjNTcHMd84-P_NOwCvp_in1V-bFHpiQHc-ziulnzHQ7AGVFTnZVUm4IMV-ZmKc0cme82Q6_v5ETo3yOgYd3FKPWLgfd_V1H3TqSSY2vdNHxlKzG5OdJwWW8UeJyraEj4ceb63qVXxgGOQDp7U1KX98mX3Z56n6W6SOd7qSCyE054rCL-wV_RXS92VgrrOVtbd9tZoO-p_FsT7warb4PU-PKlA_TCLIdoozaP6VBAvXA1sHv62OITdKPSHQ14MJT9hMlZu6978NBP_CO_qvpPtBsPMMzstNtvIpepsidg5Ukeq6tDWAOM7_oD381aKrD3mNEPDrX3oJ5lWNKV-71_qhkEBzJmSPEa3EkCXsO=w847-h635-no

358dM5_jYHdp8gBfE3tWz5PVj2ug-0_CR4olauoSeXtFbblRdffxhAhXk5d4CygW43IZ-ADRve23rRZyCBEWH0NUBOLR8Yr0gjOhkoeEL43W7Q3V_RDtiuIC_ZOdoN1hAuHKsTw5k-2AG_hawMecXfKpiPg-GhJoaGJZMbb_JXYOsNCIpS7EJsnykSSX1dsqiQ9MN27pV5eX3-KqU8w06aSBMI79MoXEjvUzJkzJH64VZSc4Q2W7RPyFIQfGuAGE1UrGEYhGEEq2KlbYwpJhMoOrl5VvpEHOlTNyHdXLuv_c5Z62oLUwf_EkfX0Hp4Wyp0lPMFM0OAEctIFMgfA0w0WwF9-RS1lXfTbmlBApKU7qt-3hva55IAhjsojfVxegSG7RFKbjxUoqkWjv-isS893K56wYUyLNECUnC01tBSHxZ5a5Az5BWRVUGP-z-_MbIhU6E2drVhveWkFrFmBdT1HiUa2QUFmWWiGe6jyW4mnM-MzkrvMPHRKz62kIbxgTssvBHZzDyV2LtUesZ--WY-7iCwL_RXKgGOPzjqlqWRU_LCkHTMAxr0PF7nayzNqxAMC5iB-YnYn8zItSTJI6VOR19PcqAX4n1BUWZRRb=w656-h635-no

Last edited:
Solid unit. I just have a 55 quart on wheels. It does what I need it to and I like how easy it moves.

Cool. Thanks for posting. I am going to check these out for sure. Not that I need a new cooler... haha

I got the Ozark Trail, and once the cooler and everything in it was cold, it held a 7#block of ice for 8 days.
We did have some other ice in there to begin with but was nice not having to add ice for over a week!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got the yeti hopper. it works great for having a cooler in the vehicle when we take trips. It also weighs a lot less that the normal cooler

We have an Orca Toto molded cooler(free swag from a vendor) and an ozark trail soft sided we use.

The soft cooler is a much better day cooler, but the Orca is great for long term stuff. I do enjoy watching people struggle with their 90lb cooler on the beach though.

I guess I just don't get it... taking a Yeti or the like to a day event where you're getting into a couple times per hour, the latches seem cumbersome. I can't imagine its as efficient keeping ice when its opened multiple times per hour.

I just replaced a 20 year old Coleman. Its been on camping trips, beach vacations, nascar races, etc. The handle finally broke but would hold on if you were careful and got us thru vacation. Drinks were still very cold at the end of the day. Dump out the water and load it up for the next day.

The handle let go while camping last weekend and I replaced it with a $14 Igloo that was the only comparable on the shelf at Walmart. Next closest was the $86 Ozark Trail. Reviews are so-so for it and the latches are very difficult.

If I was gonna pay several hundred for something to keep stuff cold, then I'd just bite the bullet (actually, I did bite the bullet) for one of these.

https://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Fridge-Freezer-50-Qt-10800472-P3626.aspx

I've had mine for 6 years now and it's very handy. It's 110v/12v compatible. It'll keep stuff at temp in your vehicle for extended periods with minimal battery drain (it'll cut the power to the fridge before the batteries get too low to start the vehicle so as not to leave you stranded) and is very handy as an overflow fridge at home or for some stuff if/when the power goes out at home.

I guess I just don't get it... taking a Yeti or the like to a day event where you're getting into a couple times per hour, the latches seem cumbersome. I can't imagine its as efficient keeping ice when its opened multiple times per hour.

I just replaced a 20 year old Coleman. Its been on camping trips, beach vacations, nascar races, etc. The handle finally broke but would hold on if you were careful and got us thru vacation. Drinks were still very cold at the end of the day. Dump out the water and load it up for the next day.

The handle let go while camping last weekend and I replaced it with a $14 Igloo that was the only comparable on the shelf at Walmart. Next closest was the $86 Ozark Trail. Reviews are so-so for it and the latches are very difficult.

We used our Orca one trip to the beach. Never again. Heavy awkward and like you said, opening it up and closing all day is a pain, and destroys the ability to keep ice. It’s great for pack in/pack out stuff you want to keep cold for days and days, but it’s not a day use cooler at all.

403861.jpg

A couple years ago I went into Cabelas to get a Yeti cooler but looking at the design I thought the same thing. I ended up with a Coleman Extreme 100 qt that kept ice for 4 days in 100+ temps at the race track and we were in the cooler a lot. It holds plenty of ice, beer, water, I even put the inserts to my cool vest in there after each run and it only cost $65.

Take a look at "Rtic" coolers a lot less money ,just as good.

I just spent 10 days camping in temps ranging from 87 degrees to a low of 43. I had an Igloo max cold and an old Coleman metal 3 way convertible cooler https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-coolers-for-camping/ for the trip, Both coolers were cooled with a bag of ice for a day before being loaded for the trip.

I had lined the Coleman with Refectix and used it as my food cooler. It had 4 blocks of ice and all the meat I put in it was frozen, It also held eggs,cold cuts,cheese etc. It was opened at the most twice a day and kept in the shade.

The Igloo held drinks and was opened quite a bit. It had a couple of blocks, pre-cooled drinks and cube ice to fill it. It was kept in the shade also.

The Coleman with Reflectix lining still had 2 blocks of ice that were about 1/4 of their original size. The last pack of foil wrapped bacon was still partially frozen and the last 2 eggs were cold. This is MUCH better than this cooler has done in the past.

After this little experiment every cooler I own is getting a Reflectix lining, It seemed to make a huge difference.

Last edited:
I was in Gander Outdoors yesterday for a last minute gift for my brother. The Orca coolers were all 40% off so I wound up buying a 20 quart for a gift and a 40 quart for our pontoon boat. I’m in their frequent buyer program so with the extra 10% off they were $102 and $145. A great deal since they are the same quality as a Yeti(some would say better at ice retention) and I got these for less than half the price of a Yeti. I paid about the same price for the same size RTIC which I also own. The RTIC is a decent cooler but not built with the same quality and won’t ice as long as the Orcas.

Last edited:
I refuse to spend what Yeti wants for a cooler. Ive just got a little one that I bought at Meijer for $10. It fits a 6-pack of cans with room for some ice and is all I need. As long as its good enough to keep beer cold for 9 holes, Im good because Im just going to get more beer at the turn anyways.

I was in Gander Outdoors yesterday for a last minute gift for my brother. The Orca coolers were all 40% off so I wound up buying a 20 quart for a gift and a 40 quart for our pontoon boat. I’m in their frequent buyer program so with the extra 10% off they were $102 and $145. A great deal since they are the same quality as a Yeti(some would say better at ice retention) and I got these for less than half the price of a Yeti. I paid about the same price for the same size RTIC which I also own. The RTIC is a decent cooler but not built with the same quality and won’t ice as long as the Orcas.

Does the 20 quart orca come with wheels? I want to get a good cooler for baseball tournaments this summer. I almost bought a yeti but the bigger yetis do not have wheels

Does the 20 quart orca come with wheels? I want to get a good cooler for baseball tournaments this summer. I almost bought a yeti but the bigger yetis do not have wheels

Nope, but it does have a handle. The only high end cooler brand that has wheels that I’ve seen is the KYSEK. Unfortunately I have only seen them on sale once at that was at Costco for $250 a couple years ago. A 35 quart or 50 quart KSEK will set you back about $400.

Nope, but it does have a handle. The only high end cooler brand that has wheels that I’ve seen is the KYSEK. Unfortunately I have only seen them on sale once at that was at Costco for $250 a couple years ago. A 35 quart or 50 quart KSEK will set you back about $400.

Thank you that’s what was afraid of.

Thank you that’s what was afraid of.

I’m actually going to add some casters or rollerblade style wheels to mine before spring for a little DIY project so I will let you know with what I come up with. The KYSEK has a great hidden wheel set up but I can’t bring myself to spend $400 for a cooler.

Back