Corona and Government

my course is closed till the 20th for clean up

All of the munis here in Columbus are closed until further notice. I believe they are saying they will evaluate the situation on Apr 3. I personally believe that a golf course is one of the safest places to be right now but I could see how someone who is infected could touch the door handle of the clubhouse and then the rest of us touch it and we're all infected.

Still winter here. Covid-19 isn't stealing my golf.

All of the munis here in Columbus are closed until further notice. I believe they are saying they will evaluate the situation on Apr 3. I personally believe that a golf course is one of the safest places to be right now but I could see how someone who is infected could touch the door handle of the clubhouse and then the rest of us touch it and we're all infected.

Not surprising since they are closing all non essential public facilities.

There are still courses open here, but most are closed due to winter... I plan on playing occasionally - as a medicinal practice of course.

So far everything is open in NC. Will be interesting to see if that changes

Still open around here.

And in Germany from what I read, they closed them, but then decided to reopen them but you have to go out single.

Still open here

I think some of the muni golf closings are saving money for the local Gov't as most of them are net $ losers.

I think some of the muni golf closings are saving money for the local Gov't as most of them are net $ losers.
Possibly. The munis here in Cbus are always packed though and they aren't that nice of courses, so I dont see how they could be losing money.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

All the courses here are privately owned. All of them have remained open thus far and there is no indication that will be changing.

Haven't heard yet from my private club board but I'm hoping that at least the course could stay open even if they delay the club & restaurant. The biggest consideration being the health of the crew. Can they work in small groups and independently?

Possibly. The munis here in Cbus are always packed though and they aren't that nice of courses, so I dont see how they could be losing money.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The munis there in Louisville are too and they all lose money. Of course they tried to close them and someone finally had the bright idea to raise fees by $5 and they magically started making money 😂

We have very few munis in these parts. There are plenty of public green fee courses, not just clubs, but the former are almost all privately owned. As a matter of fact, quite a few of the clubs are corporate rather than member owned.

We're in a place where the flagsticks aren't in yet, but I can't begin to guess what the impact of the new plague will be.
Let's hope we get a golf season at all.

Without trying to bring politics to a golf forum, one thing is clear. Our unique private healthcare system is not matching up to national systems in getting on top of these things.
This is an aspect of the debate that we haven't considered. I'm curious to see how Bernie leverages this point against Joe on the debate tonight.

I haven’t heard of any closing around here but there is only one that isn’t privately owned. If the city owned course closes my dad is gonna be pissed as he’s a member there.

Is cart safety now going to mean we have to Lysol the darn thing and not just slow down around corners and going down wet paths?

Last night our city shutdown all city/county owned facilities, but said the 2 mini courses would stay open, but monitor things & could possibly close. As far as I know the 3 other public courses are staying opened.

The munis there in Louisville are too and they all lose money. Of course they tried to close them and someone finally had the bright idea to raise fees by $5 and they magically started making money 😂
Could be. I mean, munis run off of taxpayer money, so their goal is to probably just break even anyways. It seems like at the munis that I play here in Cbus, they have a bare minimum of staff, the course is in just good enough condition to be playable and at the ones that serve alcohol and food, they typically only have simple things, like cheap beer and brats/hot dogs.
I know that one of the courses that I play the most is a lovely little exectuive course that is dirt cheap but its completely dry. People still pack beer in their bags though.

All courses here are still open and I have heard nothing indicating any one of them may close.

This is how it starts, one person/place overreacts then everyone else feels they have to follow suit or run the risk of being scapegoated if someone gets sick. At some point it turns into a sort of pissing contest where everybody is trying to 'out safe' the other which has a lot to do with how we got where we are now. Courses are still open where I am and I'm hoping cooler heads will prevail, but I also know we've collectively become terrified of our own shadow so it will not surprise me if they close down and put 50 people out of work 'just to be safe'.

One consequence MIGHT be no carts, or at least, no shared carts. Walking only would be the safest option. With exceptions for those with disabilities as usual, but no sharing there either.

I play at a municipal course in Massillon, Ohio. It has been open since 3/2 and I received a Facebook message a few days ago that said they will be staying open and taking "extra precautions" during the Covid-19 crisis. This course does make a profit with the money going into the Parks & Recreation Department.

I don't agree with but I can see county governments closing parks and golf courses. Private courses can make that decision independently and are unlikely to close.

All our local courses (most privately owned, one muni) are all open for business as usual - so far.

I don't agree with but I can see county governments closing parks and golf courses. Private courses can make that decision independently and are unlikely to close.

I too don’t agree with it, but I can understand the government closing all non essential public facilities. It’s also hard to realize that golf is non essential.

Back