Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s interesting how much the positive test results vary from state to state. NY has tested 61,401 and has 15,168 positives. Minnesota has test 4,680 and has 169 positives. NY has a 25% positive rate and MN is at 4%. Obviously that makes some sense as there are many more travelers to Europe and China in NY than there are in MN but it’s why rules vary from state to state. BTW, the death rate of tested and confirmed cases so far in MN is at 0.18% but it is a small sample size.

Here’s how many in each state.

Population density has a lot to do with it as well.

Why do total deaths matter? It's a number that's been brought up plenty of times. Percentages work much better,

It seems it's kind of been blown out of proportion to me.

It also seems the West was caught with their guard down.

I just aggravated my tooth again and in this nation I cannot go to see a dentist now as far as I know - who knows if it needs to be extracted or whatever. For that to be happening in 21st Century America is egregiously derelict on behalf of every American "representative" of the last however many years to allowed for us to be in this position.

But I absolutely believe the media likes to sensationalize things. So I honestly don't know if this is the great boogeyman its being portrayed as or not.

go outside, get some fresh air, enjoy yourself! but no, not there. or there. or there. or there. in fact, just lock yourself in your house.
So...Are you not doing anything requested and getting annoyed each time something more is asked? Or are you doing it and just complaining about it?

So...Are you not doing anything requested and getting annoyed each time something more is asked? Or are you doing it and just complaining about it?
you don't notice the trend of these politicians who make their suggestions, then the next day just as quickly wag their finger and say "no not like that"

I just aggravated my tooth again and in this nation I cannot go to see a dentist now as far as I know - who knows if it needs to be extracted or whatever. For that to be happening in 21st Century America is egregiously derelict on behalf of every American "representative" of the last however many years to allowed for us to be in this position.

But I absolutely believe the media likes to sensationalize things. So I honestly don't know if this is the great boogeyman its being portrayed as or not.
From what I understand dental emergencies are fine. But each practice can choose to do so or not on their own.

This makes a little more sense to me as to why we're staying home right now.

And that is why I canceled all in person meetings on Thursday the 12th and have been at home working since Wednesday the 18th. If I can stay out of the hospital and help flatten the curve, then damn it, that’s what our country needs! The joke about our forefathers being called to war and we are being called to sit on the couch is silly but accurate. Be safe everyone!

you don't notice the trend of these politicians who make their suggestions, then the next day just as quickly wag their finger and say "no not like that"
The only trend I see, are Healthcare professionals and then their respective governors making suggestions to their citizens and then a ton of people doing it anyway.

at this point, people not changing their lifestyles in any way or at least trying not to, is really starting to get annoying.

If it's like Canada, dentist are still able to perform anything that is deemed an emergency. I would call and check.

As far as the media, I don't listen to the American news networks as it doesn't concern me.

All of the numbers I posted were from world based health websites. Again, at the rate that this multiples vs the seasonal flu, it will take no time at all to overwhelm any countries system. Which is what many of health professionals and spouses have posted here.

https://t.co/kdy6npXQAS?amp=1

Here is the deal...
You cannot regulate behavior in a free society.

No one is saying Covid-19 isn’t serious. I’m just saying “take all our rights” & “crash economy” isn’t a solution.

If the Fed’s estimate is correct:
Unemployment rate may hit 30% in the second quarter because of shutdowns to combat the coronavirus, with an unprecedented 50% drop in gross domestic product.

This ⬆️ would catastrophic...

https://t.co/kdy6npXQAS?amp=1

Here is the deal...
You cannot regulate behavior in a free society.

No one is saying Covid-19 isn’t serious. I’m just saying “take all our rights” & “crash economy” isn’t a solution.

Unemployment rate may hit 30% in the second quarter because of shutdowns to combat the coronavirus, with an unprecedented 50% drop in gross domestic product.

This ⬆ would catastrophic...

I agree with this so much.
Considering what we are dealing with (the facts known, not the hyperbole) and what the closings are for.
While I am not comparing this to H1N1, it is impossible to not look at same parallels and see how much of a roll social media is playing.

This ⬆ would catastrophic...
I don’t mean to play semantics, but even the above wouldn’t be so catastrophic. Catastrophic would be if the stimulus package keeps pumping dollars into the economy but then the dollar continues to lose value regardless, and there is no meaningful impact on GDP. Then we are Argentina/Venezuela screwed. We would be looking at stagflation and a decade of austerity.

I am less worried about the virus than I am about the impact it has on the economy. I wonder why H1N1 didn't get this kind of "press"?

Social media, my guess. Misquote gets spread like wildfire until it's said so much, it's believed to be true.

Considering what we are dealing with (the facts known, not the hyperbole) and what the closings are for.
While I am not comparing this to H1N1, it is impossible to not look at same parallels and see how much of a roll social media is playing.
politicians actively calling for social media bullying in response to heinous crimes such as: hiking a mountain, walking through a park, playing tennis, playing golf

I don’t mean to play semantics, but even the above wouldn’t be so catastrophic. Catastrophic would be if the stimulus package keeps pumping dollars into the economy but then the dollar continues to lose value regardless, and there is no meaningful impact on GDP. Then we are Argentina/Venezuela screwed. We would be looking at stagflation and a decade of austerity.

As long as other countries have to convert their currency to the Dollar to buy oil... We can kick the whole collapsing the dollar problem now the road... But I agree with you.

My wife heads back to work tomorrow. She’s been issued one mask, one pair of eye cover, and told that’s it for the week.

This is the reality and why the precautions are necessary.

Huge shout out to @oumagic for going above and beyond though, because of him come later this week my wife and her nurse will be in a better place mask wise.

City of LA Dept. of Rec & Parks
TO KEEP ALL RESIDENTS AND VISITORS SAFE FROM THE SPREAD OF COVID-19, ALL RECREATION AND PARKS GOLF COURSES, GOLF PRACTICE AREAS AND DRIVING RANGES ARE CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

:cry:

Here is a interesting thought: My wife and I both had the flu in January/February. How do we know it wasn't the Covid?
Probably just another bad flu.

Social media, my guess. Misquote gets spread like wildfire until it's said so much, it's believed to be true.

I agree. My concern is all those small businesses and their employees and how they will cope during this whole thing.

Coworker who I'm around a lot will be staying out, symptoms of scratchy throat and runny nose (just like any other cold) but all precautions being taken

Regardless of where COVID-19 began and how deadly it is (compared to the flu or not), the world cannot simply shut down its economies and societies with every pathogen that comes along.

It is the ultimate hostage situation.

If this wasn’t a Bioweapon already, get ready for one, because we have allowed the panic drummed up by the Main Stream Media & Social Media to wreck our economy, all to damage a President in an election year. As a nation we shouldn’t negotiate with terrorists, nor should we be held hostage by Fear.

I’m sure Regimes that aren’t friendly to the US, are watching our response to this crisis and licking their chops.

No one is asking anyone to storm beaches in Normandy, or land at Inchon... We are being asked to stay home if possible, keep our distance from each other, wash our hands and keep our hands away from our face... We can do this.

No one is asking anyone to storm beaches in Normandy, or land at Inchon... We are being asked to stay home if possible, keep our distance from each other, wash our hands and keep our hands away from our face... We can do this.

Based on the response From the younger generation on social media (minority possibly), we can’t.
And while I won’t go political, there is no doubt the timing is dubious at best regardless of the side of the aisle one might align with.

Healthcare shortage is real. Real enough to take down the world‘s economy? It shouldn’t (see previous pandemics), but is. But that doesn’t change the fact that simple instructions can all but eliminate and they are being ignored With the notion of “I’m not sick” or “none of my friends are sick”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back