Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Korea is also a more densely populated country (37,000 ppl per sq mi land area vs 93 ppl per sq mi land area in the US). A contagious disease will spread much more rapidly in more densely populated areas unless it's contained. You can't tell me the US is doing a better job than Korea in containing this, because we're not.
We are on a pace to outpace China for cases by end of week with exponential spread - US - 46k, China - 83k

We are now right behind Italy in a race where we want to be at the bottom.

Let's act as if we have it - be careful, give everyone space, etc. Good luck in your daily activities, make others aware...

Time to activate Defense Protection Act ... what's the wait?

South Korea has less than 1/6 of our population. South Korea has had 2.01 deaths per million; the US has had 1.27.

South Korea has tested out the wazoo and are down to 63 new cases yesterday. They are in the back end. Our new infections topped 10k yesterday and that's with a LOT of potential infections being unknown do to a lack of testing. South Korea is winding down their first wave. We are in the 2nd inning. Way too early to go to the scoreboard to compare outcomes. With a 5 day incubation and around 10 days until serious complications, our tidal wave of cases is just off the shore.

We are on a pace to outpace China for cases by end of week with exponential spread - US - 46k, China - 83k

We are now right behind Italy in a race where we want to be at the bottom.

Let's act as if we have it - be careful, give everyone space, etc. Good luck in your daily activities, make others aware...

Time to activate Defense Protection Act ... what's the wait?

It feels like the hesitancy to use the DPA is a reluctance for the government to be involved in private industry. A public health pandemic is like war, it is a time when the government has to step in for the better good for the entire nation rather than relying on the free market to find a way.

South Korea has tested out the wazoo and are down to 63 new cases yesterday. They are in the back end. Our new infections topped 10k yesterday and that's with a LOT of potential infections being unknown do to a lack of testing. South Korea is winding down their first wave. We are in the 2nd inning. Way too early to go to the scoreboard to compare outcomes. With a 5 day incubation and around 10 days until serious complications, our tidal wave of cases is just off the shore.

And don't forget testing. The number of tests administered in the United States doubled between Mar 20 and Mar 23.

Italy is starting to rally...
Italy has had two straight days of declining new cases and deaths. This is great news.

B6BCE0FB-B359-48BE-88D7-5F187FC2D2D8.jpeg
429ABF38-6236-4735-8AF6-734DE84962C9.jpeg

Also Dow Futures hit the limit up... That’s good news.

My vet just called to reschedule Arrow's yearly wellness visit. They said they are doing curbside visits. You pull up, they take him into the office, you wait in the car, they do their exam, bring him back to you, and then the vet calls to discuss the visit and they take payment over the phone. Pretty efficient, and nice to know they are still there to help if a pet is in need.

Since Arrow isn't due for any shots, it's just a wellness check we decided to just push his appointment back a few weeks, but I like that they are still there for pets, but also taking as many precautions as possible.

That's good to know - our 13-year old Lab is showing signs of aging and that may be an option, unless our vets have had to close up shop and send all their supplies to hospitals.

This is now serious.

That’s just unfortunate :/

Sucks too, cause golf can be the most social distancing thing out there. Walk only, don’t touch the flagstick, hard to really make anyone else sick haha

Italy is starting to rally...
Italy has had two straight days of declining new cases and deaths. This is great news.

View attachment 8933432
View attachment 8933433

This is promising, and shows that 2 weeks is at least enough to top out - looks like we probably need to distance a bit longer than that 14 days, but there's light at the end of the tunnel. Once we start to go down, testing/surveillance becomes really, really important.

My vet just called to reschedule Arrow's yearly wellness visit. They said they are doing curbside visits. You pull up, they take him into the office, you wait in the car, they do their exam, bring him back to you, and then the vet calls to discuss the visit and they take payment over the phone. Pretty efficient, and nice to know they are still there to help if a pet is in need.

Since Arrow isn't due for any shots, it's just a wellness check we decided to just push his appointment back a few weeks, but I like that they are still there for pets, but also taking as many precautions as possible.
Our vet is doing the same thing.

Lessons will be hard learned, but one bright spot may be that people and businesses implement more efficient ways of conducting operations, making life better once this is all done.

Last edited:

This is now serious.

Bandon Dunes also shutting down until April 6.

If you look around at what many states are doing right now with their stay home orders, those go into early April. I think it would be quite hard for the Federal government to back off on their recommendations at the start of next week.

Washington State Governor Inslee issued the Stay Home/Stay Safe order last night at 5:30pm to go into effect in 48 hours.
At least he didn't use that stupid "SHELTER IN PLACE" terminology.
I of course will still have to go to work as aerospace manufacturing/IT is considered "Essential".
I would assume all the golf courses will close now....:mad:

Our vet is doing the same thing.

Lessons will be hard learned, but one bright spot may be that people and businesses implement more efficient ways of conducting operations, making life better once this is all done.

Ours is as well. They even sent out a video of how the handoff would work.

One of our cats HATES the vet and so we cancelled her appointment but we're going through with our other cat's appointment as he likely needs a dental cleaning.

Our governor is an anti vaccine ******* moron taking almost no real precautions and next week at this time it WILL be bad for Oklahoma.

Tested negative...that is a relief. So now I set up my work from home area, which is in the same space I was staying for the last week haha

This is promising, and shows that 2 weeks is at least enough to top out - looks like we probably need to distance a bit longer than that 14 days, but there's light at the end of the tunnel. Once we start to go down, testing/surveillance becomes really, really important.
I think that April 6th could be the day that we attempt to turn the country back on... Once the data shows the downside of the curve, which is probably 7-8 days behind Italy.

Wow! The difference between page 1 and page 119 is staggering. I'm in the camp that extreme social distancing is the only way to save lives and the economy. Of course, this is in addition to the normal precautions.

Tested negative...that is a relief. So now I set up my work from home area, which is in the same space I was staying for the last week haha
Curious ... Were you able to be tested at a Hospital or did you go to a testing facility?

Curious ... Were you able to be tested at a Hospital or did you go to a testing facility?

it was a drive up facility that was at a hospital. My doctor and another person who I can't remember where she was from, both conducted questions over the phone to me before I could get a referral to go. That was Tuesday. Took almost a full week to get the results.

Sitting on a sh***y conference call to look at telemedicine for our doctors.. as bright as some of these doctors are, there's no way some will be able to navigate the multiple systems for each appointment

One is like explaining to my grandmother how to use her cell phone for the 175th time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back