Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best of luck Commifornia...we’ve seen this playbook before. Praying for my brothers and sisters and big govt daddy begins the full anarchic lockdown. Escape from NY movie going to be made in LA by summer imo. Mark this post. The power grabs are going to get worse and worse.

Also, your nice little article buried the details of what Mayor Garcetti threatened. After making it seem like he’s sending people house to house it waits until the last sentence to say what he’s actually doing. He’s shutting down water and power for non-essential businesses that were still operating despite the county and statewide directives. So perhaps a bar with 100 people in it, yeah, shut it down. He’s not going after individuals at home.

My solution would be to guarantee unemployment and Medicaid for all affected for 90 days. A mandatory suspension of all debt payments for 90 days with the Federal Reserve providing full liquidity to banks to weather that. That should tide everyone who is in decent shape over for the 60 or so days this is going to take. If a business was on the brink of failure before this, they are probably done, but you can't save everyone.

We have asked repeatedly regardless of side of aisle to stop with the politics. There are social media platforms filled with this nonsense but this golf forum is not really the place.

A effin' men. The vast majority (as usual here) have managed to avoid swaying the convo too much into the political arena. Everywhere else on the interwebs it's been really tough to avoid political commentary disguised as news, one way or the other. This thread has been a little bit of a reprieve for the most part. Glad it's going to continue to be kept that way.

It is interesting how this topic can bring out some sensitive areas and there are all types of people out there that believe all sorts of things with what seems to be very little reasoning.

It is kind of like all the "mental" stuff one can put in their head about the golf swing that really does no good at all, but then maybe we go through phases and need to re-focus at times. I know I often need refocusing. :cool:

And, people seem to be more offended than in the past if their point of view is disagreed with. Or, the kind of flaming someone will receive for posting something that folks disagree with. It seems civil discourse is going the way of the dodo bird...at least online.

My solution would be to guarantee unemployment and Medicaid for all affected for 90 days. A mandatory suspension of all debt payments for 90 days with the Federal Reserve providing full liquidity to banks to weather that. That should tide everyone who is in decent shape over for the 60 or so days this is going to take. If a business was on the brink of failure before this, they are probably done, but you can't save everyone.

Yes. My concern is with all those small businesses, and the people they employ. Difficult to make rent, pay off loans, etc., if you aren't generating any income.

What about the service businesses. I have a slew of examples, but this one kind of hits the nail on the head.
Cleaning service. Does well, but with no social contact and offices not open, every one of them is gone, right?

What about the service businesses. I have a slew of examples, but this one kind of hits the nail on the head.
Cleaning service. Does well, but with no social contact and offices not open, every one of them is gone, right?
Cleaning services were killing it in the beginning as so many businesses hired or had their service come in for extra cleaning. Now, will be very rough on them while they wait for businesses to open back up.

Those people who live on a 1099 are just getting destroyed. Imagine being a realtor or in car sales. You could easily had been making above the numbers for the stimulus. Now, good luck.

Reactions: J4U
Many people have wrongly looked down on trade jobs for years, when in reality many of those jobs have been higher paying during employment over those that went to college.

I feel for those jobs right now. They are probably taking some of the biggest hits on unemployment and could face even more scrutiny when this is all over.

Be sure to avoid career limiting moves like this one when working from home. If nature calls, turn off the camera and mute the mic. Otherwise, you could end up like poor Jennifer (left edge, middle) in this videoconference:

They are passing an aid package. 2 trillion.
Cleaning services were killing it in the beginning as so many businesses hired or had their service come in for extra cleaning. Now, will be very rough on them while they wait for businesses to open back up.

Remains to be seen. We're not cutting employment yet in my cleaning company. There will be many places requesting "deep cleaning" services for the foreseeable future. Many people are asking us for work right now...people who have lost their cooking/restaurant jobs (among others).

Those people who live on a 1099 are just getting destroyed. Imagine being a realtor or in car sales. You could easily had been making above the numbers for the stimulus. Now, good luck.

Can confirm, the slowdown sucks. In theory one, one could break their income down quarterly/monthly and be like yeah first quarter was good. 6 months of nothing after that (example) soooo... help please lol. That being said, 606 properties went under contract in my area in the last 24 hours so people are still out there wanting to see stuff. There's a lot of virtual showings (I walk around with an iPhone and video the property) or buyer looks at the house and I stay pretty far back from them so we're not all in each other's space.

The latest trend :rolleyes: title companies are starting to try is where the buyers walk in to a conference room, and their documents are just waiting for them all highlighted up where to sign and initial. No closer in the room, no realtor in the room. If you have questions, you call the closer's extension and they explain it to you. Why this isn't done via videoconferencing, I have no idea. They just made their 45-60min procedure way longer, especially for those people who have questions about things they're not used to in their daily lives?

Many people have wrongly looked down on trade jobs for years, when in reality many of those jobs have been higher paying during employment over those that went to college.

I feel for those jobs right now. They are probably taking some of the biggest hits on unemployment and could face even more scrutiny when this is all over.

Mike Rowe was on Tucker Carlson last night...and yes of the 7+ million OPEN trades jobs, a chunk of them will disappear, but he's optimistic that the fraud of college might have been exposed with all of this, and online higher education learning could be the way of the future, and many kids now will look to the trades as more logical career paths going forward.

Last edited:
That being said, 606 properties went under contract in my area in the last 24 hours so people are still out there wanting to see stuff. There's a lot of virtual showings (I walk around with an iPhone and video the property) or buyer looks at the house and I stay pretty far back from them so we're not all in each other's space.
That is a great idea

Can confirm, the slowdown sucks. In theory one, one could break their income down quarterly/monthly and be like yeah first quarter was good. 6 months of nothing after that (example) soooo... help please lol. That being said, 606 properties went under contract in my area in the last 24 hours so people are still out there wanting to see stuff. There's a lot of virtual showings (I walk around with an iPhone and video the property) or buyer looks at the house and I stay pretty far back from them so we're not all in each other's space.

The latest trend :rolleyes: title companies are starting to try is where the buyers walk in to a conference room, and their documents are just waiting for them all highlighted up where to sign and initial. No closer in the room, no realtor in the room. If you have questions, you call the closer's extension and they explain it to you. Why this isn't done via videoconferencing, I have no idea. They just made their 45-60min procedure way longer, especially for those people who have questions about things they're not used to in their daily lives?
Getting payoffs has been the most difficult part of keeping my closings together, but I have been working mostly on the commercial side the last few weeks. You would think that it is the easiest part of it.

That is a great idea

It's definitely better than nothing, but also, I'm looking at different things than a buyer usually so there's some "do you mind going back to..." requests.

Getting payoffs has been the most difficult part of keeping my closings together, but I have been working mostly on the commercial side the last few weeks. You would think that it is the easiest part of it.

You would think so, it's one department. HOA estoppels are the best right now. If you thought they didn't respond fast before, FFS... TWO WEEKS TO GET AN ESTOPPEL BACK. TWO. WEEKS.

Places will need to be cleaned when we reopen. They can apply for unemployment as well of they are paying taxes correctly, if they aren't the government doesn't owe them anything anyway IMO.

Yes. My concern is with all those small businesses, and the people they employ. Difficult to make rent, pay off loans, etc., if you aren't generating any income.
Loans have already been extended with deferred payments by any bank worth a crap. The federal reserve gave them wide leeway to take care of their customers and make sure they don't have to pay loans during this. If you're banking with a cut rate bank that isn't helping you right now, then go to another one when this is over.

What we can't let happen is too get so caught up on helping every last single circumstance and then argue so much nothing happens. Big help with general requirements so the people
Dishing it out have leeway to make decisions and cap everything at 90 days so it's over when this is over.

Places will need to be cleaned when we reopen. They can apply for unemployment as well of they are paying taxes correctly, if they aren't the government doesn't owe them anything anyway IMO.

I was speaking to the company as much as the workers.
They have to withstand the break. Then they have to hope companies can afford to hire back immediately.

The services industry throughout small business is going to be killed.

Mike Rowe was on Tucker Carlson last night...and yes of the 7+ million OPEN trades jobs, a chunk of them will disappear, but he's optimistic that the fraud of college might have been exposed with all of this, and online higher education learning could be the way of the future, and many kids now will look to the trades as more logical career paths going forward.
A bunch of colleges are going to be shut down when this is over.

Why this isn't done via videoconferencing, I have no idea. They just made their 45-60min procedure way longer, especially for those people who have questions about things they're not used to in their daily lives?
For my work work, we've been using MS Teams. For my school board work we've been using Zoom. For my kids schooling we've been using Google Hangouts. All are easy to use, all have some great features and all require minimal setup.

How does this work in terms of touching surfaces? Do you leave evry single door open in the house so that nobody has to touch anything? Or are all surfaces wiped down after a viewing?
I know when we looked at houses when we thought of moving, that cupboard doors etc are always closed so you need to open them if you want to determine how much storage space etc you might have

How does this work in terms of touching surfaces? Do you leave evry single door open in the house so that nobody has to touch anything? Or are all surfaces wiped down after a viewing?
I know when we looked at houses when we thought of moving, that cupboard doors etc are always closed so you need to open them if you want to determine how much storage space etc you might have

In theory, I am to go around and wipe down everything after they’ve touched it. Way easier when it’s just me in the house, cause I try to just nudge things open and touch as little as possible anyway haha

I say in theory, because to do that, you need wipes or a Lysol spray. Those are a bit tough to find right now!

In theory, I am to go around and wipe down everything after they’ve touched it. Way easier when it’s just me in the house, cause I try to just nudge things open and touch as little as possible anyway haha

I say in theory, because to do that, you need wipes or a Lysol spray. Those are a bit tough to find right now!
Yeah, I can imagine

Latex gloves an option to wear? Although guessing they will be just as hard to find...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back