Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
That sounds like heaven. Golf and no one around? :love::love::love::love::love:
Imagine Cypress Point right now. It must be like looking at Heaven..

Colorado's Governor pulled the trigger on a statewide stay at home order after several counties did their own earlier.

Parks are open but golf courses are closed. :confused2:
The parks WILL be packed on a warm spring day but the place where we have to practice social distancing is closed.
So far courses on this side of the mountain are still taking tee times, so hopefully I dodged the bullet over here.

The last data I saw this morning was showing almost half of the positives in CA are in the 18-49 age group. So much for the "it's just old people that get it".
I heard that today too, my first thought was "Really? An age spread of 31 years?" A great example of reporting the data in such a way to create the preferred headline.

My town’s Square and surrounding area.

I think Cypress Point always looks that way!
I know, I forgot to add that. By the grace of the Good Lord I will play it one day. :)

I scored Tylenol today! Got there before it was all cleaned out. Got ammo, food, water, Tylenol (aand most importantly, TP)...bbring on the zombie apocalypse!...

I took a break from Covid-19 watch today , and see this thread got as crazy as this show I watched on Netflix...

DF3C60F4-DC46-4EB1-BACB-FF2B0EE2E3EF.jpeg

If this hasn't already happened, the way that this virus is perceived by many is something that is really affecting those in big cities (NYC, Seattle, SF, Chicago, New Orleans, Atlanta) but doesn't have much of an impact on rural areas. Expand that out and it's easy to see why some people don't see why they need to stay at home.
NOLA is a perfect place for a Outbreak especially with Mardi Gras just occurring on 2/25... All of the parades, zero social distancing, possibly contaminated Mardi Gras throws going straight around people’s necks... Not surprised.

I took a break from Covid-19 watch today , and see this thread got as crazy as this show I watched on Netflix...

View attachment 8933745
My favorite line from the entire show:

"I already knew he was bat-**** crazy, and that was just from our conversations at Walmart"

The last data I saw this morning was showing almost half of the positives in CA are in the 18-49 age group. So much for the "it's just old people that get it".
No one said only old people get it but it's mostly Old people that have health issues or younger people that are immuno compromised dying.

I'm no doctor but I'm guessing most of us will get it in the next 18 months this is just about slowing down the rate of infection since 100k sick at once would be very very bad since we don't have the beds or respirators needed.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Travel restrictions are changing daily (at least). I think from your post you are US citizens. So for now I understand you are ok to travel by car to the US.
But...Canada just proclaimed the 14 day Quarantine Act in effect today, March 25. and these were restrictions to returning Canadians from what little I have heard so far. Requires staying in a motel/hotel near the Airport for the period if no home or direct family to stay with. Don't know how that will affect you and certainly WA has been hit hard, if not San Juan Islands.

You are obviously a thoughtful guy that will probably keep abreast of this anyway, but I wanted to give you a heads up now from what little I know of the changes.

We spent several weeks in NZ end of Nov 19, early December (land/cruise) and hoped to do a return sometime soon, probably after the infrastructure demands of the America's Cup in 2021. I doubt either of those shall come to pass now in the near future.

Best to you. Maybe drop e a private message once you get settled back home.
Myspinonit:
Thanks for the heads up. We are following everything online as well as we can, but we miss some things and there are cases where the info is inconsistent, even contradictory. Our hope is that Canadian customs will want us out of Canada as quickly as possible and will allow us to proceed directly to the Canada / USA border at Blaine. That will take less than an hour once we are out of the airport. Then we are hoping the US Customs agents will realize we are very diligent about this, and will let us proceed to our home. I have written up a detailed "travel home and isolate plan" and provide a copy to the Canadian Customs agent as we enter Canada at the airport. It covers our health (very good), practice over the past ten days (total self isolation in New Zealand), and detailed plan for proceeding directly home and self-isolating there. Once we get in our Subaru "car cocoon" in Vancouver we will not be interacting with anybody other than the US Customs agent. We will provide her or him with the same information. Hopefully, they will see that allowing us to go home (in accordance with the directive of the US State Department) and self-isolate there is the best option for everyone - much better even than planting ourselves in a hotel near the Vancouver airport for 14 days and maybe having to do the same in Blaine/Bellingham when we cross into the States. Those options would inevitably place us in contact with other people - a limited number perhaps, but at least some. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Hope you enjoyed your time in New Zealand as much as have over the years. We first came to NZ in 1987 and have been wintering down here for twenty years. It just suits us better than going to Arizona or California like some many PacNw folks. The only thing more beautiful than the country is the people. Be well. Be kind. Be calm.

I am giving you a pass because you said you skipped many posts, but I have asked numerous times now, please keep politics out of this. Thank you.
I went back and deleted what I thought you were referring to. Please review and let me if this isn't sufficient.

Myspinonit:
Thanks for the heads up. We are following everything online as well as we can, but we miss some things and there are cases where the info is inconsistent, even contradictory. Our hope is that Canadian customs will want us out of Canada as quickly as possible and will allow us to proceed directly to the Canada / USA border at Blaine. That will take less than an hour once we are out of the airport. Then we are hoping the US Customs agents will realize we are very diligent about this, and will let us proceed to our home. I have written up a detailed "travel home and isolate plan" and provide a copy to the Canadian Customs agent as we enter Canada at the airport. It covers our health (very good), practice over the past ten days (total self isolation in New Zealand), and detailed plan for proceeding directly home and self-isolating there. Once we get in our Subaru "car cocoon" in Vancouver we will not be interacting with anybody other than the US Customs agent. We will provide her or him with the same information. Hopefully, they will see that allowing us to go home (in accordance with the directive of the US State Department) and self-isolate there is the best option for everyone - much better even than planting ourselves in a hotel near the Vancouver airport for 14 days and maybe having to do the same in Blaine/Bellingham when we cross into the States. Those options would inevitably place us in contact with other people - a limited number perhaps, but at least some. I'll let you know how it all turns out. Hope you enjoyed your time in New Zealand as much as have over the years. We first came to NZ in 1987 and have been wintering down here for twenty years. It just suits us better than going to Arizona or California like some many PacNw folks. The only thing more beautiful than the country is the people. Be well. Be kind. Be calm.

Man i wish you safe travel in this uncertain time. I would find that very stressful.
Stay safe!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This house arrest thing is hard on the liver.

One thing I’m certain of is the number of U.S. cases is way more than the confirmed cases and we need to be testing a lot more people. A couple we are good friends with are symptomatic and so is there daughter. Doctors won’t test them even though their son is living with them and his test came back positive after 11 days of waiting for results. He is very sick and doctors told the rest of them to assume they all have it. Minnesota is only showing 275 cases but the 4 cases in their household are only showing up as one cases officially. Clearly we still have a shortage of tests and/or protective gear and other basic supplies like swabs for medical professionals to administer tests.

The only possible good news out of this lack of testing is that soon a large chunk of the population will have herd immunity and the likely death rate from this virus is much, much lower than official numbers now show. One doctor at Oxford is guessing that maybe half the people in the UK have already had Covid 19 and is starting to test her hypothesis this week by random sampling for antibodies. Let’s hope in a month we know with more certainty how many millions have already recovered from this virus and we can send them back to work and much more normal lives.

Last edited:
One thing I’m certain of is the number of U.S. cases is way more than the confirmed cases and we need to be testing a lot more people. A couple we are good friends with are symptomatic and so is there daughter. Doctors won’t test them even though their son is living with them and his test came back positive after 11 days of waiting for results. He is very sick and doctors told the rest of them to assume they all have it. Minnesota is only showing 275 cases but the 4 cases in their household are only showing up as one cases officially. Clearly we still have a shortage of tests and/or protective gear and other basic supplies like swabs for medical professionals to administer tests.

The only possible good news out of this lack of testing is that soon a large chunk of the population will have herd immunity and the likely death rate from this virus is much, much lower than official numbers now show. One doctor at Oxford is guessing that maybe half the people in the UK have already had Covid 19 and is starting to test her hypothesis this week by random sampling for antibodies. Let’s hope in a month we know with more certainty how many millions have already recovered from this virus and we can send them back to work and much more normal lives.

This was one of my thoughts as well. I think more people have this and have had it than realize. I know about month or so ago I got super sick with something that was somewhat like the flu, but it was not the same. I am one that doesn't go to doctors, but in this case it got so bad that I did go.

The doctor basically said go home, drink fluids, blah, blah, and did not do anything else for me. I basically stayed home and stayed sick. The bulk of this thing lasted for a full 14 full days. The thing is it never got into my lungs and most of these things head straight for my lungs. It is my understanding that covid will gets to your lungs is where the danger is. There were some other weirdness that have been continuous with it even a couple weeks later.

So for close to a month I did not feel up to snuff. At times now, I don't feel like I have fully recovered from whatever this did to my system. Maybe it wasn't covid, but it was not your typical sickness.

If you aren't set up with direct deposit with the IRS, you won't see your "stimulus" check in the mail until around 4 months from now.

That's brilliant. :rolleyes:

Myspinonit:
I hope you manage to get home safely, but there is one big unknown in your plan - the flight

First, is it still guaranteed to go ahead, and if it does, how do you know that everyone on the flight is clear and won't spread it to the rest of the people?

We are following everything online as well as we can, but we miss some things and there are cases where the info is inconsistent, even contradictory. Our hope is that Canadian customs will want us out of Canada as quickly as possible and will allow us to proceed directly to the Canada / USA border at Blaine.
Good luck. One thing you might want to check into is your initial flight from New Zealand. I have a friend that was in Belize last week. He was at a remote resort that was off the grid, and had no idea things had gotten so crazy, so quickly. When he got to the airport for his return flight, Air Canada wouldn't let him board since he's not a Canadian citizen. He had to rebook with a different airline and return connecting through a different city. He finally got home without any other issues, but his car is still in Toronto, indefinitely with the border now closed.

Talked to a friend in China today and they're pretty much back to normal with traffic jams and people out and about shopping and working, assuming they have a job to go back to. The actual numbers of cases and deaths are debatable but whatever they are they're clearly past it now so it's not like there's a complete zombie plague over there and they're simply covering it up. He did echo what I was wondering about, and that is many of the jobs that were lost did not come back. Like the US, he said the government was trying to help with assistance but there's only so much you can do for a dead business and people with no long term livelihood. He's fortunate in that he has a job but that's going to be the real crisis for them.

One thing I’m certain of is the number of U.S. cases is way more than the confirmed cases and we need to be testing a lot more people.

i spoke with a buddy of mine who is an ER doctor and he agrees the number of confirmed cases is more than the stated, and he also said most people shouldn’t even waste their time getting tested or worry about going to the hospital. He said if you are feeling mild symptoms of the virus you should just assume you have it and self quarantine (drink plenty of fluids, take Tylenol, get plenty of rest), unless you are having trouble breathing (need oxygen) or feel dehydrated (need IV fluids) then head into the hospital. Doing that will help them tremendously in extending the life of their PPE inventory. He also mentioned that he doesn’t even trust the results of the testing as he believes up to 25% of tests are resulting in false negatives.

Myspinonit:
Agree about NZ ... "The only thing more beautiful than the country is the people." Sounds like a well-thought out plan in these uncertain times and good luck. Friday Harbour certainly is a pleasant place to try to weather out this storm.

Last edited:
407266EE-5B82-4629-BCEB-7000C472CEF6.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back