Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I'm in the opposite boat, but I'd rather someone overestimate, cause everyone to prepare for the worse. Than someone underestimate and no one take it seriously, causing a much larger problem.
Same.

Yup, but let’s hear the naysayers spew their BS head in the sand crap some more. :(

Everybody has thoughts an opinions and nobody knows the outlook on the future. This is unchartered waters and to say because some hospitals believe it will last months then its fact, while others are seeing different things, doesn't make someone right or wrong. Nobody can predict the future.

It is why people should listen to the CDC and the speech each day as they report the most factual national information available.

Maybe I'm in the opposite boat, but I'd rather someone overestimate, cause everyone to prepare for the worse. Than someone underestimate and no one take it seriously, causing a much larger problem.

I’m in your camp on this one.

If this hasn't already happened, the way that this virus is perceived by many is something that is really affecting those in big cities (NYC, Seattle, SF, Chicago, New Orleans, Atlanta) but doesn't have much of an impact on rural areas. Expand that out and it's easy to see why some people don't see why they need to stay at home.

I would rather bite the bullet and SIP for a few weeks, then have people ignore the suggestion and keep this thing going into the summer.

Everybody has thoughts an opinions and nobody knows the outlook on the future. This is unchartered waters and to say because some hospitals believe it will last months then its fact, while others are seeing different things, doesn't make someone right or wrong. Nobody can predict the future.

It is why people should listen to the CDC and the speech each day as they report the most factual national information available.
When doctors who are actually in the middle of it from all over are saying this is serious, that’s what I pay attention to.

For those thinking this will blow over in a week or so still.

Doc just called me, she’s shook, they brought in a cooled trailer for bodies today, and took inventory of body bags they have available, then ordered more.

Precautionary? Yes. But this is far more real than some are still willing to admit.

It won't blow over that easily because we have idiots in the federal gov't leaving workers in the workplace instead of sending them home to limit community spread.

But what would be worse...if he's actually wrong...or he's being "directed" to be wrong.

Not saying you were one of the conspiracy theorists in here, but its been abundant that now I can't stop thinking about it haha

That's above my paygrade, and conspiracy theories are just as harmful as using bad information to make important decisions. Both honestly should be held accountable.

Based on some of the things we kept seeing after all the advice about social distancing, I have no issue with reports to over-estimate the potential risk in this, just to try and get it across to people who are not taking the potential consequences seriously

I don't disagree, case in point: Spring Breakers on a beach. But, when a nurse commits suicide because she is diagnosed and is so stressed out that she's going to give it to her patients? I have a problem with that. Medical staff are all on edge right now. Maybe give them numbers that aren't meant to terrify, but to plan accurately? Help them make better decisions?

When doctors who are actually in the middle of it from all over are saying this is serious, that’s what I pay attention to.

And you should. Just as others are seeing something different.
With no crystal ball, and this being unchartered waters, and everybody on edge, it just doesn't seem right to minimize someone's else's findings outside of those that are putting people in danger.

It is not impacting the entire nation the same, which is what @arydolphin said earlier and what makes the most sense based on density and travel.

And you should. Just as others are seeing something different.
With no crystal ball, and this being unchartered waters, and everybody on edge, it just doesn't seem right to minimize someone's else's findings outside of those that are putting people in danger.

It is not impacting the entire nation the same, which is what @arydolphin said earlier and what makes the most sense based on density and travel.
Who’s minimizing opinions? And how is one then allowed to have an opinion of their own since that very thing would then minimize another’s?

I came back in here when I knew better, but I thought some might want to know what preparations are going on even in rural areas.

I’ll go back to my review threads now. (y)

just quoted to reiterate. Things can serious and not catastrophic. The people that think this is going to last 18 months and kill millions are just as bad as the ones still saying this will be over in a week. Things will change nearly constantly over the next several weeks.

Kudos to WaWa

Dear friends and customers,
We wanted to update you on our latest efforts to keep our customers, associates and our communities safe as our stores remain open as an essential provider.

Over the last few weeks as the world has collectively grappled with how to stay safe in the wake of COVID-19, we have continually been inspired by the actions of our first responders as well as by the actions of our Wawa associates who are keeping our stores open and stocked to serve our communities in this great time of need.

As we’ve navigated the challenges, we’ve made significant changes in our stores to provide the highest level of safety possible keeping in line with CDC guidelines.

In addition to our enhanced cleaning and sanitations protocols and previously implemented in-store precautions, over the next week we are adding some extra measures to ensure we are supporting the most up-to-date recommendations, with a specific focus on social distancing.

Enhanced In-Store Safety
We have already begun asking customers and associates to maintain a distance of 6 ft. from each other inside the store supported through helpful in-store signage, announcements and videos. We are enhancing and reinforcing this effort with visual floor markers to support maintaining a healthy distance and with distancing aids, in the form of clear, plastic shields, at our check-out counters.

Supporting our Associates
We continue to focus on supporting our associates during this time, who have truly come to the forefront to serve our communities. This is and continues to be our priority and we have taken steps to recognize their hard work with additional pay and by continuing to review and update our paid time off policies to be more flexible and supportive, and to minimize the impact to them should they be affected by COVID-19.

Nothing is more important to us than doing our best to continue to support our incredible associates and maintain our Wawa family now and for the future.

Thank you to our First Responders & Health Care Heroes
At Wawa we have always been committed to serving our emergency responders. Particularly during this unprecedented time, we want to say “we’re here for you.”

We want to salute the many health care heroes who are doing great work throughout our communities. From Main Line Health to CHOP to Penn Medicine to Jefferson in Philadelphia. From Orlando Health to Winter Haven in Florida. From Virtua Health System to Bay Shore Medical in New Jersey. From Johns Hopkins to MedStar in Maryland and Virginia and Christiana Health in Delaware. These are just some of our partners who are also truly amazing health care systems now on the front lines of this crisis. You have our deepest thanks and gratitude. And in honor of your service to the community, starting this Thursday, March 26th, all of our stores will be providing all health care workers and first responders with free coffee to fuel their shifts during this crisis.

We will be here for you. Open and stocked. We will get through this together.

Sincerely,

Chris Gheysens
President & CEO​

just quoted to reiterate. Things can serious and not catastrophic. The people that think this is going to last 18 months and kill millions are just as bad as the ones still saying this will be over in a week. Things will change nearly constantly over the next several weeks.

This is where I am at and this is what just about every expert they have interviewed keeps saying. We just don't know and it will continue to change daily. I do believe there are areas that will have minimal issues. Just as I do believe that NY, CA and others are going to be fighting this for a bit.

I have no idea why NY is not limiting all air travel though.

New York Times has an interactive graph of what docs believe what would occur depending on the number of days of Shelter and Aggressive Treatment of the crisis. Interesting. I won't post it because it mentions politicians. #WantToKeepThePeace.

In Texas, they have 50 of 254 Counties that are affected at my last look - so the Governor is torn - he doesn't want to shut down if only the urban areas are affected and local government has shut down except for essential business.

BUT some large urban counties, like one just north of Dallas County (Collin), is not Shelter in Place except for Essential Businesses - they have 66 cases. Where I live, in Denton County (north and west of Dallas), they have 76 cases and are Shelter in Place. Perhaps the Governor should shut down the urban areas. Dallas County has 303 cases.

Latest is that the virus slows down in warmer weather - 90F here yesterday.

Doc just called me, she’s shook, they brought in a cooled trailer for bodies today, and took inventory of body bags they have available, then ordered more.

Precautionary? Yes. But this is far more real than some are still willing to admit.
Per the news radio on my commute in this morning, Governor Newsome is considering increasing his stay at home order to a total of 12 weeks.
So yeah, this might be with us for awhile. Though if Californians could just shake their herd mentality and actually stay at home, the curve might actually be flattened somewhat.

Not many adhering to the 1 person to a cart as I look out my window this morning. If this keeps up our courses will close as well. How hard is it to obey the rules. :mad:

Exactly...there are a bunch of clueless folks that will not be responsible and it doesn't matter what "safe" measures courses put in place...those folks can't act smart and they put themselves and everyone else in the community in jeopardy.

How many times have you seen a guy on a course take a dip into the woods to take a leak.... A few minutes later he's munching on a snack, with no hand-washing oir sanitizer in between. That same guy is suddenly going to suddenly be serious about frequent 20 second hand-washing with hot water (if available on the course) ? Or using hand sanitizer very frequently? Or perhaps even just social distancing? I suggest not.

Besides that, even if one is careful, it might be hard to get away from just simple old habits on the course. Maybe forgetting and picking up the pin or marking someone else's ball to save time or picking up a stray ball you find on the course, touching the inside of the cup with a bare hand, crowding on the green while the last guy putts..... etc.

This is why the virus will spread - idiots in claims lines not practicing social distancing. And we wonder ... Can we respect each other and our Country? The sooner we respect the virus, the sooner it will be over.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 9.48.48 AM.png

Where are you a member? I’m in Mass as well.

Ever stop to think that maybe the staff didn’t want to work and expose themselves to other people?

I haven’t hit a ball in weeks and don’t see that changing anytime soon. Just a lot of walks around the neighborhood with my dog and son. Just my opinion of course, but golf isn’t “essential” in the grand scheme of things.

I am surprised that course was open. We shut down on Tuesday at noon, per the governor's order. I hear courses are open in RI, CT, and NH, which kind of surprised me. I get that golfers can practice social distancing, but what about the staff that interacts with the players? I also receive an email from the MGA which included a letter to the governor asking that maintenance crews be allowed to continue working as this is a critical time for golf course maintenance.

I have been doing a lot of hiking at Wompatuck State Park and Whitney Thayer. I noticed more people are out walking, bike riding or jogging, and traffic seems to be like it usually is on Sunday mornings...definitely fewer cars on the road.

I just thought I remembered reading that basically those scenarios were if we did nothing and continued life as normal, but perhaps that was the 2 million number. I'm not saying it was a great prediction as I'm not in that field, though at the end of the day it was still just a prediction, like so many things are now.

Maybe that report was also used differently in the states and by the media there. Seems to be that your media is a bit and by a bit, I mean a lot more extreme. No offense.
No offense taken. I’m not sure what you mean about my media, actually. It was an academic study linked within this thread. I opened and read it. It basically concluded if suppression / mitigation actions were taken US hospital capacity would be exceeded 8 times over and 1.1-1.2 million people would die and 2.2 million would die if we did nothing.

Although I am working remotely, I am catching up on old TV shows. Going thru Supernatural now. And, I am saving money on lunch eating in-house versus wawa. So, I guess there is that.

OMG I don’t know how I am going to make another week let alone probably another month. 😫

I understand how you feel. Go for walks? Take a hike? Ride a bike? Do some yard work? Wash and wax your car? Post on THP? :)

My wife came home 2 days ago and told me they had her counting / doing inventory of body bags. That’s never happened before in her 25 years of working at this hospital. Maybe it’s the hospital just being responsible and getting prepared, but this is definitely not normally times.

This is why the virus will spread - idiots in claims lines not practicing social distancing. And we wonder ... Can we respect each other and our Country? The sooner we respect the virus, the sooner it will be over.

View attachment 8933817
This is tough to see. I am sure that many if not most of them would prefer to be 6 feet away from each other, but they have bills to pay and need work. If I was faced with the choice, I would do whatever I needed to provide for my family, including standing next to a bunch of people if that meant I had work for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back