Corona Virus/COVID19: Local Impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently if you live with someone who has the virus, you have only a 10% chance of getting it. I was a bit puzzled by that.
That has to be like different rooms and never touching them or sitting next to them.

Why are my senior citizen neighbors, one of which just had open heart surgery from a heart attack, getting their pool deck replaced right now?

You seem to live in the twilight zone...people sharing carts, resorts remaining open, senior neighbors getting work done on their houses. Where I live, people seem to be taking it seriously. Traffic is way down, stores are closed, seeing a lot more people, biking, jogging, or walking. Or maybe it's me that lives in the twilight zone, lol.

You seem to live in the twilight zone...people sharing carts, resorts remaining open, senior neighbors getting work done on their houses. Where I live, people seem to be taking it seriously. Traffic is way down, stores are closed, seeing a lot more people, biking, jogging, or walking. Or maybe it's me that lives in the twilight zone, lol.

MA is not exactly the tourist destination in March.

15% increase per day puts us at 18k in 21 days. That is optimistic and will probably be closer to 25% which puts us at 22k in 14 days. The 21 day number is scary at 25%

Using the US numbers from the COVID tracking project, fitting a curve to our current trend puts us at 19,900 deaths in two weeks, but we may not yet be at the steepest part of the increase, so it could be more. Plus, there could be mitigating influences from distancing policies and new treatments which would help to slow the rate of increase.

When I was at the grocery store on Monday it was great, everyone was wearing gloves (patrons and employees), everyone was keeping their distance, and all carts were being wiped down. I was really impressed with what I was seeing. The resort thing started this week when an influx of people from NY flew into Florida (all across the state). And the neighbor thing is really surprising to me. I really hope they don't get sick, especially the husband who had the heart attack.

But this is Florida, so there are no rules haha.

Speaking of tourism, and clusters of cases in large cities, in today's update, Gov Cuomo announced some Downstate cases will be moved to Upstate hospitals. Makes sense, but people are already asking the reasonable question - what happens when the local cases start to increase Upstate?

So, it's looking like MN golf courses are not going to be allowed to remain open. I really hope this smooths over soon. Obviously for the general health and well being of the American people (and all countries for that matter). But, for more selfish reasons, I haven't been able to play golf here for 6 months now. The weather is FINALLY starting to warm up. We just committed a much larger sum of money to join a private club. I am antsy. I have had cabin fever forever now. This isolation coming up right when the weather finally started to turn around is really taking a mental toll.

I just got an update from my club, MN Valley and they said April 11th unless the Governor changes his directive to allow golf courses.

I just got an update from my club, MN Valley and they said April 11th unless the Governor changes his directive to allow golf courses.
Haven't gotten anything yet. But, coronavirus aside, we're still waiting for the snow to finish melting off and see what the Red River wants to do in terms of flooding. So, we'd be up in the air anyhow. But, mid-April would be typical. Sometimes later.

Why are my senior citizen neighbors, one of which just had open heart surgery from a heart attack, getting their pool deck replaced right now?

YOLO?

Speaking of tourism, and clusters of cases in large cities, in today's update, Gov Cuomo announced some Downstate cases will be moved to Upstate hospitals. Makes sense, but people are already asking the reasonable question - what happens when the local cases start to increase Upstate?

That’s a scary thought.

Not many adhering to the 1 person to a cart as I look out my window this morning. If this keeps up our courses will close as well. How hard is it to obey the rules. :mad:

At our club, if you arrive in the same car as a family member, you can share a cart. FWIW, I’m not getting in any cart. Walking every time.

Who wouldn't want to come to a still-cold, very wet locale in early Spring?

Usually the end of March is when the snowbirds begin their migration back up north. Besides, during this pandemic, who in their right mind would go on a vacation?

Who wouldn't want to come to a still-cold, very wet locale in early Spring?

If you promise me a good lobster roll and some Friendly's Im your guy.
I can't promise to deliver clubs to you every time though hahaha. That was a fun day.

A surprising number of states still don't have a SIP order. Hopefully that doesn't exacerbate the spread of the virus.

Usually the end of March is when the snowbirds begin their migration back up north. Besides, during this pandemic, who in their right mind would go on a vacation?

The last few years we have seen snowbirds head back later and later. It seems to be closer to May 1st instead of April 1st. Not sure why that changed, but that's definitely been more of the norm the last few years, at least in our part of Florida.

I can't promise to deliver clubs to you every time though hahaha. That was a fun day.

the ones shipped via DPS?

The last few years we have seen snowbirds head back later and later. It seems to be closer to May 1st instead of April 1st. Not sure why that changed, but that's definitely been more of the norm the last few years, at least in our part of Florida.

In my area the winters have seemed to be getting longer and longer...maybe that explains it? But they are already in place...I am surprised people would travel to resort destinations at this particular time.

This winter was an exception. Very mild winter, hardly any snow...though lots of rain. The people I know who go to FL usually are back by April 1st, with one exception who comes back May 1st.

Indeed, it was a fantastic day.

The Friendly's near me closed, which is terrible! But I do know a great seafood stand that I think just opened. And they've got ice cream. Still, better for anyone to wait a couple months to head up this way. We still have piles of snow on the ground.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
Sense isn't that common these days.
I looked up the definition of "common sense." It seems there is no consensus. lol

Theory: many snowbirds used to stay in FL for 4-5 months and remained residents of a northern state. For tax strategy reasons, the snowbirds are doing a reverse migration. They are FL residents who travel north for <6 months of the year. November to April for some. December to May is gaining popularity. This info comes for a smallish group of people living in the Sarasota area.

Just came across this - golf courses in NY can be open, but with an extensive list of rules. No pro shop, no exchange of money (I assume this means pay by card over the phone), pin must stay in, etc. Of course the weather is supposed to be in the 40s and rainy in my area most of next week, so it's probably a moot point anyway.

https://www.nysga.org/communications-news/nysga-updates-regarding-covid-19

Just came across this - golf courses in NY can be open, but with an extensive list of rules. No pro shop, no exchange of money (I assume this means pay by card over the phone), pin must stay in, etc. Of course the weather is supposed to be in the 40s and rainy in my area most of next week, so it's probably a moot point anyway.

https://www.nysga.org/communications-news/nysga-updates-regarding-covid-19

That's how New Hampshire I think is doing things. It makes sense to me, I fear that people aren't going to pay attention, and (as usual) ruin it for the rest of us though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back